Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

.300 Weatherby

vander34

Anyone here shoot one? Or any opinions about the gun... Looking ahead at buying a new gun and trying to decide if it would be worth it or not, just dont have any experience around the caliber really.

I had a Rem 700 re-barreled to 300 WBY a few years ago.

Hindsight is 20/20, and looking back I wouldn't pick that cartridge again.

I wish I would have went with either a .300 Win Mag because it would be cheaper to shoot and reload for or a .300 Rem Ultra because it is a little bit faster and has a better designed case.

I don't care for the Weatherby, mostly because of the freebore. Mine shoots OK, but I can't help but think a 300 Ultra would have been a bit more accurate.

Nice weapon. I have shot one, but I own .a 300 Win Mag. The 300 Ultra, as mentioned above is the 'goods'. I do not think the WBY would be worth it, but it is whatever you like.
Note: Every guy in our elk camp (6 fellars) shoots a different kind of rifle, 3 different cals, all different optics? but everyone agrees that the .300 is a great/maybe the best round.

My father owns one in a MKV and he likes it just fine, I've shot it and it shoots well. Personally do not see that it offers enough advantage over a 300win to be worth the increased cost, gun, shells(if you don't handload) or even in real life trajectory or energy. If you want to step up above a 300 win mag you need to go to 300 Ultra mag or the Lazzeroni or the 30-378 weatherby. Just my 2cents.

I have a Rem 700 rebarreled to .300 Wthby, and it shoots very well. I hunt more with a Tikka in .300 Win Mag, though, as it is a much lighter, handier rifle. I don't think you gain all that much with the Wthby version, especially with 180 gr bullets or under. I would stick with one of the more common varieties of .330 mag.

I've owned the same 300 Roy twice (no kidding)...and I was wrong both times. It was a MK V....kicked like a mule, finicky accuracy (prolly coz it kicked like a mule), and ammo was too damned high. The good part...it made the 300 WSM and 300 Win Mag pleasant to shoot.

I denated that issue about 20 yrs ago. I was shooting a 7MM Rem at the time and decided I NEEDED to step up to some more UMPH. Bought a .338 WM instead.....Never looked back.

I rebarrled a rem 700 in 300 WBY and I am very glad I did. Shoots great and if you can find cheap brass, reloading can be done at a reasonable price. Weatherby brass and ammo are both very expensive. Recoil is not bad if the weight of the rifle is built for the cartridge. That being said you can't go wrong with any of the .300's.

Yeah I have been looking around and the brass is a little spendy... the only way I would think about getting the rifle is because I would reload for it. But good opinions and advice from everyone so far thanks to those giving their experience and opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back