Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

300 Ultra Mag or 300 Win Mag

ART_SKYD

Read ballistics comparisons on the two rounds but was wondering which one you guys prefer and why?

From what I’ve read seems like a lot of you out there have 300 Win Mags.

Thanks for the input!

Long ago I was leaning towards a 300 Weatherby and was talking to the dealer who was a friend of my sister (who buys shitloads of guns as a side not...I have a cool big sister). Anyways, I was all gung ho for the Weatherby until Jim (the dealer) made a few valid points...expense and ability to find ammo in the Podunk little town....Long story short I ended up with a 300 Win Mag and now own 3 versions. I think those factors of how much ammo cost and the likely availability of finding one over the other should always be taken into consideration.....Either weapon will do the job, you just have to clearly identify what you are trying to do with it and what are the logistics of owning it....hope that helps.

Read ballistics comparisons on the two rounds but was wondering which one you guys prefer and why?

From what I’ve read seems like a lot of you out there have 300 Win Mags.

Thanks for the input!

What is the intended use? Pretty much anything in the lower 48 can be taken with .308. Magnum cartridges make a big boom which I guess is cool, but I think a lot of people shoot less accurately with magnums because they are more likely to flinch/pull their shot...plus ammo is more expensive so you're less likely to shoot as frequently. I got my first hunting rifle 7 rem mag at the advice of my buddy, but wish I'd gone with .308 or 7mm-08 or something smaller and cheaper.

I’ve got both and just picked up a 300 Weatherby. Looking forward to working up a load for the Weatherby.
I can tell you that the RUM is an awesome round. Don’t know if it’s any better than any other 300 out there.
I will also say that there’s no difference in the recoil between any of them. I’d guess the Weatherby will be my new go to, basically because it’s a Weathermark. If it’ll shoot with the 180 & 200 AB.

Ah the 300 mtmuley improved...I'll be joining the club with a Montana gunny rebarrel/true very soon.

I like the 300 win mag better, mainly for the fact that if you're traveling for a hunt and loose your ammo you can find it easier, and most game youll be shooting will never be able to tell the difference.

Depends what you want. I have a 300WM and have used it for most all my hunting. I have used it on many elk, bear and mule deer. You can find ammo just about anywhere for it and lots of options. Recoil isn't much in an average weight gun. If you want more energy then the 300RUM outshines it. I upgraded my 300Wm to a .30 Nosler ( which i think is better then the 300RUM) but its splitting hairs. Virtually identical to a 300RUM. Both the .30Nosler and 300RUM has considerable more energy and recoil is heftier.

25-30% more powder will get your attention. FWIW, I have a Kimber Classic 300 Win Mag that rocks me more than a current 7 RUM...the RUM pushes, the Win Mag jolts. I have shot 300 RUM in identical platforms with the 7RUM...IMHO, not as 'bad' as a 300 WBY and not that noticeable between the 7RUM...hope this makes sense

I find little difference in hunting applications between 300RUM and 308WIN to be honest since I don't plan to shoot beyond about 400yds. I like the 300mag and wsm just fine for magnum work. You can use smaller action with 308 which is nice. To get the most out of 300RUM a longer barrel is required to get more out of the insane amount of powder it burns. I have both and some in between. I have an older Tikka with 300RUM 28" douglas barrel. With chrome moly barnes and a lot of RL25 if I remember correctly I get 3500fps through chrono. Fun to shoot and can buck some wind and fly flat but I became a fan of guns that are light and shoot rounds in the 2800-3000fps range.

I’d say a 300win like this one!!:D:D:D

All depends what you're wanting to do with it I'd say. If purely a hunting gun, I'd probably lean towards win mag if I was buying a new setup. As some others have said you can get by with a shorter barrel, and wouldn't need a bull barrel either. My RUM has a break on it which is nice, but I HAVE to wear ear plugs in hunting situations. I think I've probably done some permanent damage a couple times from being caught off guard and taking a shot without protection. It also weighs 9 or 10 pounds with a scope.

I just use my win mag for deer and between handloads and a 26” barrel I can get 165’s going 3200fps.

I have a 300 WBY that I like. Friend has a 300 RUM that he likes and shoots well.
I’ve always heard that you need a caliber that is easy to find ammo for. I’ve never had to buy ammo in a pinch. While it could be a problem, I wouldn’t let it keep me from using the caliber I wanted. Even if you find ammo out on the road, it very well might not be the ammo your rifle is sighted in for.

My Son in law shoots a Custom 300 win.and 215 bergers .
My wife shoots a 300 ultra lss ( no brake ) and 180 Coreloks .
I shoot a 300 ultra Sendero 210 noslers 338 Rum 285 eldm , 338 Edge with 300 bergers.
Just picked up some 230 bergers for the 300 Rum .

All the Critters dont seem to care what we shoot they just seem to drop !

Pick your favorite and injoy !!

MT.PERCHMAN

Back