300 PRC with Mono Copper?

skyfire

While the sales pitch for the 300 PRC points to taking advantage of long, heavy-for-caliber bullets, I’m more interested in what this cartridge would be like with light-for-caliber copper bullets. Having emailed Hornady, Nosler, and Barnes about factory ammunition offerings it doesn’t look like anyone is planning anything beyond Hornady’s current ELD-X and ELD Match; nothing factory in copper. At least for the near future reloading is the only option.

What are your thoughts on the 300 PRC loaded up with 150-175 gr solid coppers? Any significant pros/cons to consider here in making a cartridge selection?

Why light bullets? I shoot 200gr Barns LRX out of my Nosler .30. In all my years I haven’t seen something put an absolute smack on an elk. But it’s too much for deer in my opinion. I just think lighter bullets are better served in a smaller cartridge.

You may be right about lighter bullets in smaller cartridges. I see 150 and 180 gr offerings in 300 WM and 300 WSM and so I think to myself ... hmmm, I wonder what this can do.
  • I think a 140-175 gr bullet is really all that's needed for the ranges I plan to hunt; plus I'm looking for one cartridge for deer and elk
  • Lighter weight bullets recoil less, allowing for better shooting discipline and staying on target after the shot
  • Lighter bullets go with increased velocity; flatter trajectories, less wind drift, ...
Those are some of the reason's being tossed around in my head, but I'm very much on the learning curve here.

What are your thoughts on the 300 PRC loaded up with 150-175 gr solid coppers? Any significant pros/cons to consider here in making a cartridge selection?
They'll work just fine. Remember, monos are longer than a similar weight cup and core bullet, plus you want the velocity for reliable expansion. I think something in the 165-180 grain range is really good place to start. Match the bullet to the twist rate.

My experience with Barnes bullets is similar. Lighter bullets going faster works best.
With the velocity of the PRC, I would start with the 175LRX. That would still get a MV over 3000fps.

If you don't or don't plan to use turrets for elevation I'd opt for the 150gr or lighter and run them as fast as they'd shoot accurately. A 150gr mono bullet at 3300fps wouldn't bounce off anything and would be plenty flat shooting for a very good MPBR.

Using turrets and stretching it's legs, I'd look for more BC to deal with the wind.

Barnes has the 175LRX, 190LRX, 200LRX and I think they just came out with a 212LRX but it probably needs a faster twist than standard 30’s

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back