Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

30 Day Background Check

I'm a, "don't argue with God" guy.

The 2A isn't a "law", per si, but rather an assurance that the government should not "infringe upon a God given right."
Something man can't seem to leave alone.
As a gun owner for 3 decades and a practicing Christian for 5 decades I am fairly comfortable Christ says nothing about me bearing arms as a God-given right. But a cite would be appreciated (but as you have not provided one for your 2A perspective, and appear unable or unwilling to acknowledge that even the bible creates challenges to human understanding of words, I am not expecting you will).

As I say on HuntTalk, "stay safe and shoot straight"; and as I say in church, "go in peace and serve our Lord." But I am done with our little back and forth.

Last edited:
I feel like most people who commit suicide are prob thinking about it for more than 72hrs or 30 days.

If someone goes out and buys a gun to impulse kill themself they’re just weak and I just don’t give a shit.

why should I?
why should I wait 72hrs because a small number of crazy people are killing themselves?
This is possibly the most ignorant thing I have seen posted on HT in my 4 years here.

I don't know how much, if any, various gun laws may or not may make a difference, and I am not saying a 7-day wait would change that (and I am actually not a fan of the OP's posted bill) - but your crass self-oriented take on suicide is insulting to the tens of millions of Americans who have been touched by this tragedy. A far greater tragedy than waiting 4 days to get your 15th gun. You seem to have little understanding of mental health and even less empathy for your fellow human. Is discussing having one in a thousand gun buyers wait a few extra days for their 15th gun purchase really so important to you that you write this drivel? If so, that says a lot about your perspective on many issues.

This is possibly the most ignorant thing I have seen posted on HT in my 4 years here.

I don't know how much, if any, various gun laws may or not may make a difference, and I am not saying a 7-day wait would change that (and I am actually not a fan of the OP's posted bill) - but your crass self-oriented take on suicide is insulting to the tens of millions of Americans who have been touched by this tragedy. A far greater tragedy than waiting 4 days to get your 15th gun. You seem to have little understanding of mental health and even less empathy for your fellow human. Is discussing having one in a thousand gun buyers wait a few extra days for their 15th gun purchase really so important to you that you write this drivel? If so, that says a lot about your perspective on many issues.
*I only own 3 guns.
I have no intent to buy any more. They’re just a piece of hunting gear to me.

So if someone kills themself and leave’s behind 3 children you don’t see that as a little bit of a selfish, asshole thing to do?

Of course you don’t.
because mental health, right?

So if someone kills themself and leave’s behind 3 children you don’t see that as a little bit of a selfish, asshole thing to do?

Of course you don’t.
because mental health, right?
I always love to see a guy double down on his 15 against a dealer's 10.

Last edited:
I always love to see a guy double done on his 15 against a dealer's 10.
I’m not familiar with that expression, rulemaker.
You win.
speaking of ignorant things we’ve read on ht.
how’s your buddy doing who got 5 years and a 40k fine for his first offense when he shot that wolf?

is that the story you were trying to tell?

we’ve all got our critical flaws at the end of the day.

I’m done arguing with a lawyer now.
Love you.

As a gun owner for 3 decades and a practicing Christian for 5 decades I am fairly comfortable Christ says nothing about me bearing arms as a God-given right. But a cite would be appreciated (but as you have not provided one for your 2A perspective, and appear unable or unwilling to acknowledge that even the bible creates challenges to human understanding of words, I am not expecting you will).

As I say on HuntTalk, "stay safe and shoot straight"; and as I say in church, "go in peace and serve our Lord." But I am done with our little back and forth.
How many decades have you spent as a lawyer?
One of the most coveted and highly respected professions in our great society.

Speaking of mental health,
do you ever feel like maybe you’re suffering from a tiny bit of affluenza and maybe you’re not as in touch with the common man as you think you are?

Speaking of mental health,
do you ever feel like maybe you’re suffering from a tiny bit of affluenza and maybe you’re not as in touch with the common man as you think you are?
Don't worry, I have plenty of friends, family and neighbors in rural America that have empathy for the suffering of others. But yup, know a few "mental health is for the weak" clueless jerks too. It really is the worst part of the internet - that the most ignorant and mean-spirited 10% of rural America goes on display, while the hard-working, do anything to help, caring 90% then gets painted with a wide brush. There is a big difference between the common man and the common *ss.

Don't worry, I have plenty of friends, family and neighbors in rural America that have empathy for the suffering of others. But yup, know a few "mental health is for the weak" clueless jerks too. It really is the worst part of the internet - that the most ignorant and mean-spirited 10% of rural America goes on display, while the hard-working, do anything to help, caring 90% then gets painted with a wide brush. There is a big difference between the common man and the common *ss.
Lol now you’re making up statistics 😂😂😂
Great job supporting your argument!

Lol now you’re making up statistics 😂😂😂
Great job supporting your argument!
If it is your position a bigger percentage of rural America is heartless jerks then I leave that to you to prove.

But this has lost any value to HT so say what you wish, but our back and forth is done for me.

If it is your position a bigger percentage of rural America is heartless jerks then I leave that to you to prove.

But this has lost any value to HT so say what you wish, but our back and forth is done for me.
I don’t believe feeling that suicide is an inherently selfish action makes someone a clueless jerk.

I also don’t believe that mental health is made up or fake, but I whole heartedly believe it has been blown way out of proportion in or society for many reasons including creating jobs and selling pills.

I don’t think cooling off periods prevent suicide and I don’t want to see anymore implemented or lengthened.

My heart goes out to everyone on this site and in this world who has been affected by suicide.
If any of you are having a bad day please feel free to message me.
I might give you a hug, I might punch you in the face and tell you to pull yourself up by your bootstraps because you’ve got 3 kids counting on you and if you think your life’s been hard imagine what there’s is gonna be like if they have to deal with that.

Im done here.

Don't worry, I have plenty of friends, family and neighbors in rural America that have empathy for the suffering of others.
One last smart assed thing.
So you admit that you’re up so high on your pedestal that you essentially have to be briefed on the thoughts and beliefs of the common man by your friends, family and neighbors?

That is so creepy to hear a lawyer say.

what kind of law do you practice?

One last smart assed thing.
So you admit that you’re up so high on your pedestal that you essentially have to be briefed on the thoughts and beliefs of the common man by your friends, family and neighbors?

That is so creepy to hear a lawyer say.

what kind of law do you practice?
We know it ain't "Constitutional Law"!

You know you have somebody when they go to the emotional argument of “don’t you care”.
With that said mental health is a serious issue for a large swath of America. Then you then add the mental health system is just trash. A F’ing trashcan filled with dog$Hit lit on fire would be a better descriptor of the current mental health system in most of America.
Someone who has mental health issues and refuses to get help or gets lost in the system should have zero effect on my ability to purchase a firearm. The same way as someone who continually drives drunk should not impair my ability to purchase a vehicle

You know you have somebody when they go to the emotional argument of “don’t you care”.

Calling out a callous *ss is not offered as a proper argument, but it can be true in its own right anyway.

With that said mental health is a serious issue for a large swath of America. Then you then add the mental health system is just trash. A F’ing trashcan filled with dog$Hit lit on fire would be a better descriptor of the current mental health system in most of America.

Here we agree.

Someone who has mental health issues and refuses to get help or gets lost in the system should have zero effect on my ability to purchase a firearm. The same way as someone who continually drives drunk should not impair my ability to purchase a vehicle

First of all, talking about automotive parallels is nearly pointless as there is a great NRA-sponsored tag team event around this line of discussion. Rando gun guy #1, "Hey cars kill more people than guns why don't we outlaw them?" Rando Objector #1, "Cars and driving thereof are subject to all kinds of regulation." Rando gun guy #2 chimes in right on time, "Cars aren't a constitutional right." So even though that is undoubtedly where this will go, it is still worth responding to your self-selected parallel. Please send your "it's not a constitutional right" objections to this discussion in care of Glockster. ;)

But what if you are the drunk? That is the real question in your parallel. It is not how to make life unbearable for safe drivers, it is about what can we do about unsafe drivers while minimizing the impact on safe drivers - finding that balance. We have driver's education requirements (even for good drivers), driver licensing (even for drivers who will never be in an accident), hundreds of safe driving rules that result in all kinds of irritating limitations (I can't check my cell phone while fully stopped in a drive-through line in MN), thousands of safe car regulations on manufacturers that drive up costs for us all, mandatory insurance (adding costs to those who may never need to make a claim), product liability for manufacturers for all kinds of crazy claims (driving up costs for us all). The working theory is that some modest (or not so modest) inconvenience is part of making the system work for everyone.

But of course, much of this would not be allowed under the 2A - which is a good thing. But the 2A and the 1A (and all the other As) are subject to this same balancing - it is just the "A" shifts the burden - lessening it (but not zeroing it) for the gun owner, and asking the rest of society to forego a lot of the types of regulations many dangerous objects are subject to every day that aren't covered by an A.

Last edited:
Anyone can say "background checks are bad" or "wrong" or "useless", but please share a legal finding that supports your conclusion of "illegal". Words matter and it is essential we remain a nation of laws and not of men.
True we are a nation of laws until it doesn’t suit some of those in authority ! Remember there are unjust laws as there are unjust people , the Constitution was put in place to protect us against the aforementioned.

True we are a nation of laws until it doesn’t suit some of those in authority ! Remember there are unjust laws as there are unjust people , the Constitution was put in place to protect us against the aforementioned.
We agree. We just have to remember our system of applying those laws is also provided by the constitution and is an important part of our liberty too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back