30-378

I found a like new Weahtherby Mark 5 30-378 accu-mark with Nikon 3x9 for 1000$. does anyone know anything about these guns? would you buy?

My son has one with a turret scope and has taken elk with long range accurate shots I would never attempt. It is his rifle of choice for elk hunting.

'Sounds like a pretty good deal price-wise.

The ammo will be expensive even if you reload. I think the caliber is OK, but I am not a massive magnum fan anyway. It will eat the barrel if you shoot it very much. Years ago, a buddy of mine bought one of those for like $350 or something at Walmart. He is a reloading nut and a gunsmith. He said he wanted a 500 yard coyote gun. He loaded some 130 grain bullets to 4250 and shot sub-minute groups with them. That was an incredible rifle. I have lost contact with him, so I do not know how long it lasted, but I am sure the original barrel did not last long.

If I owned one of those God-awful things, I would load 180 grain premium bullets to a moderate velocity and have a good gun that would not chew the barrel up quite as fast.

Sorry, didn't read the model designation in your first post. Amen on the brake. Not a bad price if it's in good shape. Do you have the opportunity to have the barrel checked out? Can it be be purchased w/out scope?

Yes i am a reloader, its kinda a hobby of mine. that being said i have no interest in burning up a barrel any faster then normal shooting.

there is no wear sighn there is still the orignal grease on the bolt. i got ultralite this spring ive put around 80 rounds through it, and it shows more where then the 30-378. My guess the guy shot it with out the break and never picked it up again. as far as the scope it goes with the gun.

I wouldn't buy it, but I'm not into long range hunting and I'm a cheapskate.

I used to shoot one. the brake is a must, it will rattle your brain if you shoot it with out it. the ammo is pricey. the one i had had a ziess conquest scope. Its a brute for sure. Your good for 12 hundred yards no problem.

These are amazing guns.like said spendy ammo and a heavy gun to pack, it's probably not a bad deal.

If you can justify about $5 a shot then buy it. I just think there are too many other calibers that are as good or better that are much less expensive to shoot and easier the find ammo or brass.

I had a accumark in a 7mm stw and liked it good until I took it in the bighorn mountains.The action on the mark 5s are awsome.The thing I didnt care for was the weight of the gun. Shot great and recoil wasnt bad at all with the stw didnt even have a break and I only weigh 140lbs.My buddy had 2 accumarks in 30-378 and 338-378 recoil wasnt bad with the breaks on them.They are barrel burners but not somthing your going to shoot all the time

thanks for all the opinions... I think im going to pass i have a 300 wby hard to justify another .30 cal just a whole lot faster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back