30-06 Ackley Improved

No. No way. I have the barrel and everything I need to put my 280 AI together. I'm really itching to do it, but I'm actually sick as a dog right now. I changed the strings on my guitar the other day and had to go lay down.

I'm kinda just starting to think about what my next project might be. It occurred to me that including the 280AI I have 3 7mm caliber rifles. I had the notion I could turn my R700 Mountain Rifle into a 30-06 or 30-06AI. It's a .280 Rem and I don't use it that much anyway; when the current build is done I'll probably use it even less.

So, you say you have a guitar... :cool:

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

If you're going to switch it up, go big. 35 Whelen or 9.3x62. Push some weight around.
Or go 6.5x55. You already have a long action. Put a 1 in 8 twist barrel on there and you'd have a great rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one, and I’m not sure it’d be overly fun to shoot from the 6.5 lb Mountain Rifle.
Agreed. Mines at 10lbs and I don’t think I’d mind it losing a couple pounds, but 6.5lb would be a bit too far in the opposite direction.

Agreed. Mines at 10lbs and I don’t think I’d mind it losing a couple pounds, but 6.5lb would be a bit too far in the opposite direction.
Mine was a standard M70 sporter with wood stock, not exactly a lightweight rifle. 22” barrel. With 185 grain Barnes it had some stiff recoil. Two pounds lighter and/or heavier bullets and I think the fun factor would diminish.

Mine was a standard M70 sporter with wood stock, not exactly a lightweight rifle. 22” barrel. With 185 grain Barnes it had some stiff recoil. Two pounds lighter and/or heavier bullets and I think the fun factor would diminish.
Yeah, my weight comes from the magnum profile ERShaw at 24”. Shot the 185gr TTSX comfortably. The 210’s are a bit stiffer. The 1/2” Boyd’s recoil pad isn’t great, and doesn’t help any.

I had one, and I’m not sure it’d be overly fun to shoot from the 6.5 lb Mountain Rifle.

It'll loosen your crowns in a Mauser model b. That's a pretty light rifle.

He has a poodle shooter in the 280. The 6.5 is great, but it's duplicative of the 280.

35 Whelen also comes with swooning women & good scotch, so there.

Like I've mentioned on other threads, my first centerfire rifle was a .30-06, and it did well for me for about 10 years. Then one day a couple of years after I moved to Montana my hunting partner gave me a .30 Gibbs case.

The looks of that case just about red lined my coolness meter, and after carrying it around in my pocket for a couple of months I had our local gunsmith re-chamber my .30-06 to .30 Gibbs. Les Bauska in Kalispell did the work and he didn't have a Gibbs reamer so he used a .30-06 Ackley reamer and cut the chamber deeper to the dimension of the Gibbs shoulder.

That became my primary elk rifle and it pushed 180 grain Partitions out at 2900+ fps. For 20 some years that cartridge put an elk in my freezer every year along with a couple of Shiras moose and some other critters.

When I had Les chamber my .30 Gibbs I also had him make me a tapered octogen barrel for a .22-250 and he re-chambered a .25-06 to .257 Roberts Ackley Improved for me. That .257 AI has been my primary deer and antelope rifle ever since, and I also used it for my Dall and other Bighorn rams, along with a Mountain caribou and my second best 6x6 bull elk.

Looking back I often wish I would have had Les just re-chamber the .25-06 to AI and to have chambered the .22-250 to AI.

The coolness of the 40* shoulder and minimum body taper of the Ackley Improved cases just makes hunting and shooting rifles with AI cartridges better.

No. No way. I have the barrel and everything I need to put my 280 AI together. I'm really itching to do it, but I'm actually sick as a dog right now. I changed the strings on my guitar the other day and had to go lay down.

I'm kinda just starting to think about what my next project might be. It occurred to me that including the 280AI I have 3 7mm caliber rifles. I had the notion I could turn my R700 Mountain Rifle into a 30-06 or 30-06AI. It's a .280 Rem and I don't use it that much anyway; when the current build is done I'll probably use it even less.
Selling the mountain rifle and starting over would be better. It’s almost sacrilegious to rebarrel a good 280 to a 30-06. Buy a 30-06 and have it reamed out to the AI.

Selling the mountain rifle and starting over would be better. It’s almost sacrilegious to rebarrel a good 280 to a 30-06. Buy a 30-06 and have it reamed out to the AI.
700 Mountain Rifles sell pretty easy. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back