30-06 Ackley Improved

Been shooting one my whole hunting life. It was my great grandpa's Win M70, from waaay back in the day. It likes 165-168 gr projectiles over 58-59 gr of IMR 4350, and sits around 3k fps at the muzzle. There are apparently newer, better loads for it these days, but why fix what isn't broken? I am currently shooting the 168 gr TTSX out of it. I love it, personally, but I'm not a cartridge geek who can tell you whether it is really as good as it seems to be.IMG_3095.jpgIMG_3199.jpgMT buck 2017.jpg
IMG_3118.jpg

If it tickles your fancy, go for it!

i've not spun one up in this cartridge but have researched it a bit. You should be able to get close to 300 WSM velocities with the AI version, but you'll be pushing the pressure edge. I'd think you could get upwards of 3100 fps w/a 165. My 06 load is 58 grains of IMR 4350 & a Barnes 165 TTSX for around 2900 fps (can't remember exactly).

Nosler has load data for it if you google 30-06 ackley load data, I found it to be conservative.

Review my 300 Sherman thread and that will give you a idea of what you will get for modern powder loads. Keep in mind the Sherman holds 2-3g more powder. I push the 181g Hammer at 3027 FPS and the 180 accubond at 3100 FPS.

The Ackley version should get the 168 to 3100fps.

If you go down this road buy Peterson 280AI brass and run it thru a 30cal expander. You will have way better results than standard 30-06 cases.

I would expect 50-75fps over the standard. The bigger the bore in AIs, the less improvement. If you want to get the velocities people claim, you will increase pressures... do the same with the standar if you want to hotrod. If you really want some meaningful improvement go the Gibbs or Hawk route. You got to make brass, which isn't a big deal once it's done. Haha

If'n you're considering this in leiu of a 280AI, you should stop thinking. Haha

I would expect 50-75fps over the standard. The bigger the bore in AIs, the less improvement. If you want to get the velocities people claim, you will increase pressures... do the same with the standar if you want to hotrod. If you really want some meaningful improvement go the Gibbs or Hawk route. You got to make brass, which isn't a big deal once it's done. Haha

If'n you're considering this in leiu of a 280AI, you should stop thinking. Haha

So, basically it's like going down the road at the speed limit but the guy behind you passes you to be in front. But you both are sitting at the stop light at the same time. The standard 30-06 and the AI will both get there, just the AI gets there first. 😎:unsure:

Many of the AI cartridges have minimal velocity gains over the parent cartridge and IMO aren’t worth the hassle of forming cases. There is the advantage of less case stretch and trimming but trimming cases isn’t hard either.
That said if you want an AI then I’d say go for it. All of us rifle addicts love tinkering and have fun exploring powders and shooting.

Seems I read years ago, in one of Ackley's books, that when finished with the Ackley Improved cartridges he wasn't to impressed. The only one he really cared for was the 250 AI. Everybody these days seem's to want the AI version of whatever it is they get. Only thing I can see in getting one, you have something different!

Many of the AI cartridges have minimal velocity gains over the parent cartridge and IMO aren’t worth the hassle of forming cases. There is the advantage of less case stretch and trimming but trimming cases isn’t hard either.
That said if you want an AI then I’d say go for it. All of us rifle addicts love tinkering and have fun exploring powders and shooting.

I think if case stretch is a problem when firing, the problem is more likely to large a chamber. I've been loading over 50 yrs now and I have always found the majority of stretch come's from pulling the case back over the expanding nipple! Some time back I decided to try a Lee collet die. Got it set up and case stretch was all but elminated!

The counterpoint to all the nay sayers:

You do get some velocity gain. You do get a bit better case life. And best of all, you get a sexy cartridge name. Who doesn't love to append some letters to the end of a standard caliber? 30-06 sounds so boring. but 30-06AI? That sounds like a stately cartridge that isn't afraid to take a walk on the wild side on occasion.

The counterpoint to all the nay sayers:

You do get some velocity gain. You do get a bit better case life. And best of all, you get a sexy cartridge name. Who doesn't love to append some letters to the end of a standard caliber? 30-06 sounds so boring. but 30-06AI? That sounds like a stately cartridge that isn't afraid to take a walk on the wild side on occasion.

280 AI has more bozone cred, though.

THINK OF THE FLAT BRIMMERS!!!

Changing horses in midstream?
No. No way. I have the barrel and everything I need to put my 280 AI together. I'm really itching to do it, but I'm actually sick as a dog right now. I changed the strings on my guitar the other day and had to go lay down.

I'm kinda just starting to think about what my next project might be. It occurred to me that including the 280AI I have 3 7mm caliber rifles. I had the notion I could turn my R700 Mountain Rifle into a 30-06 or 30-06AI. It's a .280 Rem and I don't use it that much anyway; when the current build is done I'll probably use it even less.

No. No way. I have the barrel and everything I need to put my 280 AI together. I'm really itching to do it, but I'm actually sick as a dog right now. I changed the strings on my guitar the other day and had to go lay down.

I'm kinda just starting to think about what my next project might be. It occurred to me that including the 280AI I have 3 7mm caliber rifles. I had the notion I could turn my R700 Mountain Rifle into a 30-06 or 30-06AI. It's a .280 Rem and I don't use it that much anyway; when the current build is done I'll probably use it even less.

If you're going to switch it up, go big. 35 Whelen or 9.3x62. Push some weight around.

Back