30-06 180 grain copper bullet performance

Buckyranger42

Looking for performance feedback on game with 180 grain 30-06 copper bullets. Specific ammo I’m looking at is Nosler E-Tip 180 grain 30-06, but any 180 grain copper 30-06 ammo feedback is helpful.
Thanks!

Looking for performance feedback on game with 180 grain 30-06 copper bullets. Specific ammo I’m looking at is Nosler E-Tip 180 grain 30-06, but any 180 grain copper 30-06 ammo feedback is helpful.
Thanks!
Best to go down a size when switching to copper. They are longer than lead, and perform better when moving faster than lead, and with 99% retention actually carry more weight into the animal than lead. 150 grain TTSX are great for .308, 30-06 and 300WSM. 165/168 grain will work too. 150 grain TTSX out of a .308 took a 1,000 lb wild zebra and 700+ lb wild kudu last year for me. Neither went more than 50 yards. 130 grain TTSX out of a .270 took a big cow elk DRT last year too. Copper is different than lead - light and fast is the answer here.

Never done it, but honestly, the only reason I can think to use that load would be for close shots at big, dangerous game, like if I were using my .30-06 as a stopping rifle in bear country, or hunting moose in thick brush, etc. I think the 150-168 grain copper bullets are better suited to the '06 and plenty of bullet for big critters. I use 168 TTSX's in mine.

I shoot federal 165 grain trophy copper out of my 30-06, I've killed 3 deer and 2 hogs since switching from lead and have really been impressed with the performance...I like that I seem to have less bloodshot meat around the impact area and so far everything has been a complete pass through leaving a good blood trail...I don't have any experience with the 180 grain size but I would think you would be fine as long as you keep your shooting distance reasonable, I know there is a minimum impact velocity that is recommended to ensure expansion so as long as your shooting distance is close enough to keep you above that minimum I would imagine you'll get the performance you are looking for

I expect to shoot up to 400 yards, but not beyond.

Nosler E-Tip 30-06 168 grain: 2115 fps, 1669 ft-lbs
Nosler E-Tip 30-06 180 grain: 2098 fps, 1760 ft-lbs
Nosler E-Tip 300 WM 180 grain: 2269 fps, 2058 ft-lbs

What’s curious to me is how negligible the 30-06 168gr and 180gr are on paper, and my real debate is given I’m switching to copper bullets do I make the switch to a 300WM?

Ideally, I want to break the animal down through the shoulder on the bullet’s path to the vitals. Think deer-sized game. I’d adjust a bit for elk and moose given shoulder mass.

I can only attest to the Barnes TTSX 180gr, from using it in my 300WM. For my -06 I use the 168gr version. They need and like to be pushed very fast and wreak havoc on the internals on game. Unfortunately as much as I like Nosler's products, I've had poor luck,( what I would consider), gaining any acceptable accuracy from trying the E-tips, both Nosler's own factory offerings as well as handholds,( as for the handloads, I tried 3 different powders on hand, different charge weights, etc., it just wasn't a rabbit hole I wanted to get involved too deeply with).

I expect to shoot up to 400 yards, but not beyond.

Nosler E-Tip 30-06 168 grain: 2115 fps, 1669 ft-lbs
Nosler E-Tip 30-06 180 grain: 2098 fps, 1760 ft-lbs
Nosler E-Tip 300 WM 180 grain: 2269 fps, 2058 ft-lbs

What’s curious to me is how negligible the 30-06 168gr and 180gr are on paper, and my real debate is given I’m switching to copper bullets do I make the switch to a 300WM?

Ideally, I want to break the animal down through the shoulder on the bullet’s path to the vitals. Think deer-sized game. I’d adjust a bit for elk and moose given shoulder mass.

I assume you're using the published velocities for the Nosler factory loadings? I was surprised by the data you posted, so I went and looked them up. All I can say is that I'm highly dubious of the published velocity for that 180 grain load. Looking at load data from Barnes and Nosler backs up my skepticism. I'd be very surprised if that factory load shot over 2700 in the average hunting rifle. It would not shock me if typical velocities were more like 2650. The published velocity of 2800fps for the 168 grain load strikes me as much more attainable. It too may be optimistic for most hunting rifles (with 22" barrels), but the reloading manuals show that that velocity can likely be attained with several different powders.
One other consideration: I don't know if this is true for the E tips, but Barnes makes their 168 grain bullet so that it will open at significantly lower velocities (because it's made to work well with the .308 win), than most of the other 30 cal bullets they make. If that's true for Nosler as well, that would be another check in the column of the 168, for me.
If you'd really like to maximize the weight of your bullet, another factory choice that I would definitely check out, if I were you, is the Barnes 175 grain LRX load. Those bullets also open at lower velocities.

Good luck!

Update: I invested in a 300 WM to provide more confidence using 180 gr all copper .30 caliber ammo. I'll still use the '06 for WI whitetail based on known max range I'll ever shoot at one.

There are more reasons beyond why I invested in a 300 WM but this is one of them.

Thanks to y'all that responded!

I now use the 168 Barnes TTSX in my 30/06 where I use to use 180 grain Partitions. As others have stated, reduce the weight of the bullet by about 10% when going to mono bullets. Penetration will remain about the same as the heavier cup & core bullets, but the faster velocity of the lighter bullet will help in expansion. Plenty of knowledgeable folks here that speak from experience.

Last edited:
The E-tips are a great bullet and my son uses the 90gr. E-tip in his 6mm Remington. One deer and a couple antelope in addition to a large cow elk at 350 yards is pretty good proof. The cow was broadside and he shot her tight behind her right shoulder and the bullet exited the center of her left shoulder. She staggered about 20 yards and dropped.

1595291760592.png

I use the 165 gr. Accubond or Partition in my 30-06. If I decided to try the E-tips and use them I would try and load the 150 gr. E-tips first to see if I could get a good accurate load and second choice would be to try the 168 gr. E-tip. The E-tips hold their weight and penetrate like a larger bullet. See above.

Update: I invested in a 300 WM to provide more confidence using 180 gr all copper .30 caliber ammo. I'll still use the '06 for WI whitetail based on known max range I'll ever shoot at one.

There are more reasons beyond why I invested in a 300 WM but this is one of them.

Thanks to y'all that responded!
I've been shooting and hunting with Barnes.
If I were loading them in an 06, I too would be shooting 150s. Monos penetrate far better than traditional bullets. You have to push the old school ideas about bullet weights aside.
And don't worry about driving them thru the shoulder of an elk or moose.
Two years ago my girlfriend shot a Maine moose bull thru both shoulders and it exited....... with a 115gr TSX from my 25-06.

Best to go down a size when switching to copper. They are longer than lead, and perform better when moving faster than lead, and with 99% retention actually carry more weight into the animal than lead. 150 grain TTSX are great for .308, 30-06 and 300WSM. 165/168 grain will work too. 150 grain TTSX out of a .308 took a 1,000 lb wild zebra and 700+ lb wild kudu last year for me. Neither went more than 50 yards. 130 grain TTSX out of a .270 took a big cow elk DRT last year too. Copper is different than lead - light and fast is the answer here.
I shoot 150 gr TTSX for .308 as well and have been very pleased. Def great advice here by @VikingsGuy

What would you recommend for the 300 Weatherby? I realize that at some range the bullet slows down to 308 velocities, but should I stick with 180gr due to the initial high velocity?

What would you recommend for the 300 Weatherby? I realize that at some range the bullet slows down to 308 velocities, but should I stick with 180gr due to the initial high velocity?
I'd stick with the 180gr for your case. You should be able to push those pretty quick if you can find the components and make short work of just about every species in the US

Thanks!
You tell me where to find some and I'd be happy to offer you some feedback haha. Was hoping to give the 30-06 168 grain a try this fall but not sure if it's realistic to expect these to be in stock by then.

Glad to hear most people have had good luck with them.

Saw a guy drop a pronghorn buck with the 180 E Tip out of a 30-06. He shot it right above the eye. Dropped that buck like a hammer.

I'd go down a weight. Copper likes velocity, and the 180's aren't going to hit that magic mark in the venerable 06. The 165's are plenty of medicine for elk, moose, etc. I'd start there.

My approach is to ask what bullet would you prefer to shoot in lead, and then go down in size 10-15%. Then I would check to confirm that bullet velocity at the elevations I hunt will stay at or above 2000 fps at my max hunting distance. If not then I would go down an additional 10%. If you would normally shoot 200g then I would go 180. If you normally shoot 180 I would go 165. The bottom line is a 150gn copper .30 cal bullet moving at more than 2000fps at impact will ethically take pronghorn, deer, elk, black bear, caribou and moose all day long. For bison and brown bear I would go up to .338 caliber, but if staying with .308 caliber I would go magnum-class cartridge with a 180-215 gn copper bullet.

Last edited:
My approach is to ask what bullet would you prefer to shoot in lead, and then go down in size 10-15%. Then I would check to confirm that bullet at that muzzle velocity at the elevations I hunt will stay at or above 2000 fps at my max hunting distance. If not then I would go down an additional 10%. If you would normally shoot 200g then I would go 180. If you normally shoot 180 I would go 165. The bottom line is a 150gn copper .30 cal bullet moving at more than 2000fps at impact will ethically take pronghorn, deer, elk, black bear caribou and moose all day long. For bison and brown bear I would go up to .338 caliber, but if staying with .308 caliber I would go magnum-class cartridge with a 180-215 gn copper bullet.
Thanks! I shoot 180gr Hornady Interlocks in my Weatherby, but for what I’ve hunted in the past (deer and hogs) the bullet construction hasn’t been an issue. Going to use it for an elk hunt this year, and I am more interested in finding a bullet that will hold together at Weatherby velocities on heavier bone and muscle.

FWIW, in the tests he conducted John Barness found that mono bullets penetrate the same as a Partition that is 1.2X as heavy.

That said, I've yet to have hunted anything that I wouldn't have hunted with a 150gr mono out of a 308 Win or larger cartridge.

A far ranging aside, but I've caught more 165gr Barnes out of a 30-06 than I have 139gr Scenars out of a 260 Rem, that latter with a much larger sample size... ;)

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back