3 days of archery and no dice

lifesupport4u

I have an archery buck tag. I did one day in a blind on water and had a buck at 100-110 yards. I have put in a bunch of stalks over 2 days and gotten to 100 many times and 80 once or twice.

There is water everywhere in the unit so not sure the blind is the best plan.

Right now they just run from the decoy.

Feeling a little discouraged on the spot and stalk at this stage... gotta keep trying, but I’ll be lucky to get another day or two to hunt.

I have too remind myself this, "you can never move to slow on a stalk". Of course there is always an exception, but generally speaking I'm in too much of a hurry, most of the time. Good luck!

It's all about finding one in good terrain for spot and stalk. If you spot em in the right place, sometimes you have to move fast to get there, cause they rarely stay in a spot where they have a blind spot for long. I've had a lot of stalks where I can get to 60, but I usually bugger em once I try to close that last 20 yds. That's where a bit of luck goes a long ways.

Man, I feel your pain. I had a hard time getting within comfortable rifle range on my first antelope hunt with the terrain. Good luck and keep at it!

I have never been able to stalk a speedgoat with a bow. I lack the dexterity and patience necessary. Play the wind and terrain over all else. Congrats on getting that close on several occasions. Good luck!

think about it this was, you were able to do all that and there's people sitting at their computer living vicariously through you! Live it up man!

Don't get bummed about each blown stalk, sit back and try to learn from it and what went wrong.

I've never done spot and stalk pronghorn but from what I've read, try to have the sun at your back.

stalking goats is TOUGH!! finding animals with something between them and you (such as a hay field with bales or a haystack or a small wash out that you can crawl or sneak down) is hard to do but can make closing the distance much easier.... Good luck and keep at it!

I have too remind myself this, "you can never move to slow on a stalk". Of course there is always an exception, but generally speaking I'm in too much of a hurry, most of the time. Good luck!
This is true. I do try to move too fast

Some photos...

Attachments

• E6032F42-7743-4223-9BBA-80212A899FE4.jpeg
    E6032F42-7743-4223-9BBA-80212A899FE4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 31
  • E451353F-99A7-4F55-8A43-A811982BB8B2.jpeg
    E451353F-99A7-4F55-8A43-A811982BB8B2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • 49CC5898-4229-40EF-89CA-22421C422EF5.jpeg
    49CC5898-4229-40EF-89CA-22421C422EF5.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
  • EA9D5B07-4BC5-4BF2-ABED-5C8DE2156880.jpeg
    EA9D5B07-4BC5-4BF2-ABED-5C8DE2156880.jpeg
    998.3 KB · Views: 33
And a dead cow reported to the unit manager

Attachments

• 4038C101-F20A-436A-BB96-75C6C86275EE.jpeg
    4038C101-F20A-436A-BB96-75C6C86275EE.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 33
Try identify a water source antelope are using. If they are using it and habituated to it they are more likely to come in. Also, if you can, try to conceal your blind with grass, brush, etc... the more you can make it blend in, the better. It is tough if the animals have choices and can move on to other water. Some blinds seem to be better than others as far as what antelope tolerate. If it blows alot and makes noise in the wind, they are less likely to come in. Also, I believe material of the blind matters as far as antelope eyesight goes. They don't seem to tolerate reflective finish/colors well. Just some observations after doing this a few times....

I'm impressed you're got within 80 yards! That's a whole lot closer than I've been able to approach them on foot before they're off like a rocket.

I’ve been at it several straight days myself and It’s not easy, but I will say it’s waaaaaay easier than most people I know who have rifle hunt them made it out to be. I’ve been in bow range every day now, once as close as 25 yards. Getting close and getting a shot off are two different things for sure though. Choose your battles, not every stalk is a winner so don’t waste time on demoralizing situations. Knee pads and gloves are your friend, I wouldn’t be able to do what I’ve been doing without them. In the past several days I’ve seen that I can get closer to bedded ones than those that are feeding, the feeding ones move to dang much and keep catching me. Water sitting seems pretty useless where I am hunting too. 2 major rainstorms in 3 days and puddles everywhere. I thought I left the water and mosquitoes back in Louisiana but it seems there is as much of both of them here as back home! I did take 2 shots, one buck got a haircut and the other a flesh wound, but after keeping eyes on him for hours it’s obvious he will live to rut another day. My brother has been in range with his longbow 3x in three days and missed twice.

The odds aren’t in our favor but that just makes me want it more!! You will get your shot, stay positive and keep your head in the game, I just hope you’re a better shooter than I’ve been the past couple of days. Best of luck to you!

Kip- I got eaten up the day in my blind by the water hole.

And there is water everywhere here.... watering holes are about 1/2 to 1 mile apart, so too many options. The blind I bought was broken out of the box and didn't catch it setting it up the night before at home... so I took it back after one day of use and am not sure what to replace it with.

Doe hunt starts 9/1 and I don't have a day to get back out there before more archers are in the field.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back