3 Day Assault Mystery Ranch

grizzly5028

Anyone have any opinions on this pack? I like Mystery Ranch packs, but I don't want to pay $500 for a pack right now. My main question on this pack is how it would do packing out meat? Thanks for the help!

Look at the dragonslayer and bighorn, I think they`re built a little beefier for hauling out meat, but are still the same basic design.
Pretty sure Carl has messed around with them all, maybe he`ll chime in.

The 3 Day Assault and Dragon Slayer are both built on the same frame. The Big Horn is built on a different frame.
Neither of the 3 are built for hauling heaving loads...they are more of a day pack style. Not saying you couldn't do it, but they aren't built for it.

There were rumors that the Dragon Slayer was getting upgraded to the Big Horn`s X-frame. Not sure if it actually went through or not though. Might be worth calling them to find out for sure.

Thanks guys I appreciate the info. Got another question anyone ever use any of the eberlestock backpacks? I was looking at them and they look nice, but not sure on durability.

I have 2 of the X2 packs by Eberlestock. The first one was issued to me I liked it so much I bought one for myself in camo to hunt with (they didn't go for my idea of using "their" work pack to hunt with). I have the gun scabbard that attaches to it and it's nice to be able to take it off when I'm just backpacking and not carrying a rifle. I have had no problems with either pack. I used the one I bought for myself last season and my work pack has 2 years on it. So far I think they are well made and there are very comfortable for me. The other aspect I liked about them is I can adjust the shoulder straps so my wife can carry the pack when I'm hefting the kid pack with the toddler in it.

I have 2 of the X2 packs by Eberlestock. The first one was issued to me I liked it so much I bought one for myself in camo to hunt with (they didn't go for my idea of using "their" work pack to hunt with). I have the gun scabbard that attaches to it and it's nice to be able to take it off when I'm just backpacking and not carrying a rifle. I have had no problems with either pack. I used the one I bought for myself last season and my work pack has 2 years on it. So far I think they are well made and there are very comfortable for me. The other aspect I liked about them is I can adjust the shoulder straps so my wife can carry the pack when I'm hefting the kid pack with the toddler in it.

I was looking at one of those and I like them. Do you feel that you can a lot of meat out with them?

I think it will haul more than I will ever want on my back. It's not very big but you can strap just about anything to it. On their site they show an elk quarter strapped to one, there is someplace I read about a test with a 100 lb sandbag and when we got them for work I stuffed 60 lbs of breaching equipment in mine and it carried better than the goofy pack that was built to carry the stuff.

I am looking at getting a duffel bag that will attach to the back using the Molle and the compression straps to make it haul more for packing in/out.

Be careful with the X2 if you have a long Torso. I was quite interested in this pack recently but it is made for shorter Torso lengths and is not adjustable. I am 6'4" and have a 21"-22" Torso and there is no way it would have worked. If you are tall and looking for that size pack(2000ish but sturdy enough to haul meat), look at the Badlands 2200 which works well for taller guys.

Good point I guess I never considered how it would fit someone taller. I'm 6'2" and it is perfect for me adjusted all the way out. I could see it riding higher on anyone tallers hips. It will adjust smaller though and my wife says it's comfortable when I shrink the straps down.

Ok Im 6'1'' and have a long torso, so the X2 might work or might not. Right now I am torn between the Dragon Slayer MR and the X2 by Eberlestock. I like the idea of strapping the meat outside of the pack (X2), but I like how long the Dragon Slayer is...... decisions, decisions....

I would say don't buy either unless you have tried them on. I don't know the classifications of long vs short torso most XL shirts are to short for me and most XLT shirts are a little long.

There were rumors that the Dragon Slayer was getting upgraded to the Big Horn`s X-frame. Not sure if it actually went through or not though. Might be worth calling them to find out for sure.

The Dragon Slayer has been redesigned. The new ones are supposed to be available in March-April, I think. Here's what they said about it:

Overall the Dragon Slayer is almost A POUND LIGHTER than its predecessor right at 4 1/4 pounds, yet it's load carry capacity in weight has increased 60% to an estimated 80 pound maintained comfort level. It's 2300 cubic inches and comes with a lifetime warranty.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.42024/.f?sc=8&category=1970

Be careful with the X2 if you have a long Torso. I was quite interested in this pack recently but it is made for shorter Torso lengths and is not adjustable. I am 6'4" and have a 21"-22" Torso and there is no way it would have worked. If you are tall and looking for that size pack(2000ish but sturdy enough to haul meat), look at the Badlands 2200 which works well for taller guys.

Just a quick note on the badlands pack. I have 2 of them both the 2200 and the 4500 either one of these packs can haul more than you would want, but I have had all the zipper pulls break off as well as a couple zippers themselves quit working. Probablly will go with the Ebberle for the next pack.

The Dragon Slayer has been redesigned. The new ones are supposed to be available in March-April, I think. Here's what they said about it:

http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.42024/.f?sc=8&category=1970

Aint that a bitch- had mine less than a year and they do a redesign....

Griz- no matter what daypack you get, if there is no yoke adjustment you are at the mercy of pack. Not only will the pack shift under a load, so will your body. The more adjustments, the better as far as I'm concerned. And when it comes to the load itself, I'm all about external if I can get away with it- cools the meat faster and keeps the funk outta my pack. I use an old indian trick- a mesh laundry bag. Load it with the goods, two compresion straps to cinch everything tight and tie her on to the pack..... Hokie maybe but quick and clean.....

3/4's of a mule deer on a dragon slayer
P1000316.jpg

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back