I decided to start an annual bird thread for everyone to post their hunts. I’m a little late this year. I had a September deer tag that has given me PTSD. The tag was down to my last weekend day. Son asked if we should just get out of the beatings and go Sage grouse hunting. 
It was a good hunt. Love hunting Sage Grouse in beautiful country.
Weather got warm last weekend. I met my buddy at 6am and we were at the hill a half hour before light. I’m getting ready at the truck and Cady goes on point about 50 yards away. I walk to her in sneakers without a shotgun. She keeps relocating. I’m half trying and a flock of birds flush up the hill. Try harder Bryan.
Cady’s next point was a group of birds running uphill. She pointed and relocates and I hobble uphill towards her. She finally pinches them against some rock. I hobble forward, breathing hard. Chukars go up and I kill one going right. Another group goes left and drop one going left. Report double.
While all of this was happening my buddy’s dog was 400 yards away on point. He missed a double on Huns. We meet together and circle to stay in the shade. We get into another group of chukars and I roll one. My buddy missed and starts blaming his shotgun. He asked what I’m using and I respond IC choke with 7.5s. He just stares at me. We had a wild flush walking out.
We’re back to the truck by 9:30am. Weather needs to break. Moose this weekend and sharptails next weekend.

It was a good hunt. Love hunting Sage Grouse in beautiful country.

Weather got warm last weekend. I met my buddy at 6am and we were at the hill a half hour before light. I’m getting ready at the truck and Cady goes on point about 50 yards away. I walk to her in sneakers without a shotgun. She keeps relocating. I’m half trying and a flock of birds flush up the hill. Try harder Bryan.
Cady’s next point was a group of birds running uphill. She pointed and relocates and I hobble uphill towards her. She finally pinches them against some rock. I hobble forward, breathing hard. Chukars go up and I kill one going right. Another group goes left and drop one going left. Report double.
While all of this was happening my buddy’s dog was 400 yards away on point. He missed a double on Huns. We meet together and circle to stay in the shade. We get into another group of chukars and I roll one. My buddy missed and starts blaming his shotgun. He asked what I’m using and I respond IC choke with 7.5s. He just stares at me. We had a wild flush walking out.

We’re back to the truck by 9:30am. Weather needs to break. Moose this weekend and sharptails next weekend.
Last edited:


