Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

280 Remington

Great caliber!
Mine is a stainless 700. It only has a 22” barrel. I bought it used on gunbroker, it came with a brake which it doesn’t really need and a great trigger. I’ve shot my last two antelope and muleys with it.
I scored some Nosler etip ammo on sale last summer and got 4 boxes, 140’s... they shoot great. I also handload a 120 ballistic tip that I use for eastern whitetails and coyotes....h4350. I love big magnums but I love shooting and carrying this gun and although I haven’t tried it on an elk it has killed everything I have shot it with dead-dead.

I keep trying to replace my Browning A-Bolt Medallion 26" .280 to save a pound or so, but always go back to it. My first handload with RL 19 and 140gr Accubonds shot under an inch and reached over 3000fps. It hits like a freakin bolt of lightning on everything from elk on down.
HD

I’ve been wanting to buy another rifle but when it comes down to it there is nothing my 280 can’t do. It is sub 8 pounds and I have no problems using it on everything I want to hunt in North America and can do it easily at my max range of 300 yards.

My first hunting rifle was a 280, and I took my first deer and elk with it, and numerous animals after that. Then I got drawn into magnums. Been thinking about bringing it out of the safe and resurrecting WY antelope this year.

Good cartridge. What killed it I think is Remington downloading it. Ran at same pressures as the 270 it is a great round. About 75fps behind the 280 Ackley when ran at equal pressures

I like it so much, I have 2. Both shoot really well, with both 140s and 160s. Easy to load for, and lost of options for powders to chose from. If I could only have one rifle it would be in 280rem, luckily I don't' have to chose.

I've got two as well, plus an AI...

Great round.

I had one in a Ruger 77. Shot GREAT. Just about anything I loaded (115 gr to 175 gr bullets) would be on paper with minor scope adjustment to fine tune for different loads.

Its a great cartridge! I shoot my Remington 700 Mountain Rifle action thats on a Christensen Arms stock, pillar & glas bedded, with a Leupold VX6 2-12 with the B&C reticle. I love that gun! I load 160 Nosler Acubonds with 50.5 grains of H4350 powder and CCI-200 primers. The gun can shoot sub 1/2" if I do my part.

Its a great cartridge! I shoot my Remington 700 Mountain Rifle action thats on a Christensen Arms stock, pillar & glas bedded, with a Leupold VX6 2-12 with the B&C reticle. I love that gun! I load 160 Nosler Acubonds with 50.5 grains of H4350 powder and CCI-200 primers. The gun can shoot sub 1/2" if I do my part.
Would you mind post a photo when you get a chance?

How good is 30-06?
How good is 270 win?
280 is essentially the same case as those 2 old soldiers, and duplicates their excellent performance. Looking for bullet weights 165 gr. and up, or .308 cal? Choose '06.
Prefer .277 cal, bullets 150 gr. or less? Go w 270 win.
Like the middle ground, .284 cal. w bullet weights that overlap the other 2? 280, baby.

All these have lighter and heavier bullets available, I listed here the conventional-wisdom sweet spots for big game bullets in each caliber.

The 7mm-06 is quite superior to the 7mm-08(and the 7mm-08 is excellent)

Just run Lapua 30-06 brass through a .280 full length sizing die(set to size for correct headspace for your individual gun) and you’ll have some of the best brass available. I have a healthy stash of RWS and Norma in 7x64 that might be a tad more uniform, but not quite as durable.

Don’t chose a .30cal just because you want to shoot bullets over 165gr. It’s bullets over 165grs that let the 7mm really shine. The .280 drives them better than the 7mm-08 does.

How good is 30-06?
How good is 270 win?
280 is essentially the same case as those 2 old soldiers, and duplicates their excellent performance. Looking for bullet weights 165 gr. and up, or .308 cal? Choose '06.
Prefer .277 cal, bullets 150 gr. or less? Go w 270 win.
Like the middle ground, .284 cal. w bullet weights that overlap the other 2? 280, baby.

All these have lighter and heavier bullets available, I listed here the conventional-wisdom sweet spots for big game bullets in each caliber.
I picked the 280 because I wanted to be different. I fell in love with the round because of what it can do. I will always have a 280 or 280AI in the gun safe.

iXzo6ui.jpg

nwC73M1.jpg

Don't need it for lopes, but I bet the 7mm Sierra 165 grain TGKs would do purty darn good on an elk.

I put together a 280 rem on a savage action. I did some research and the AI version with the 2 different specs turned me off. I never had issues finding brass for it and if youre motivated you can make it pretty easy. I shot a tree at 300 yards during load development and the accuracy node with 5 different loads had a vertical displacement of about 3 inches. Id get a barrel capable of handling heavy bullets and run a heavier monolithic.

I think a 280 with the magazine space and twist rate to handle some of the sleek 180gr bullets on the market would be a fun one to wring out and hunt with.

Back