MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

.280 Rem

Shangobango

I am having trouble finding a new production bolt action rifle in .280 Rem.

The only one I can seem to find is the Browning Xbolt.

Does anyone know of any others? What are my other options to get a bolt action in this caliber if there are no production models available. I have never researched custom rifles. I need to stay at 1500 bucks or less.

I try and buy myself at least one firearm every year and I usually dont wait this late in the year. I am already set up to reload .280 Rem is part of the reason I am looking for a .280. The other is honestly nostalgia. This was my grandpas go to caliber. I currently have a Remington 7400 in .280 but want a rifle that will actually shoot the .280 to it’s potential.

I really like my 700 mountain rifle in .280... It handles and shoots very well.

That is definitely the direction I am leaning at this point. I didn’t realize that the .280 Rem had become so unpopular of a round. I am a little disheartened at the lack of options.

That is definitely the direction I am leaning at this point. I didn’t realize that the .280 Rem had become so unpopular of a round. I am a little disheartened at the lack of options.
I don’t understand why more rifles aren’t chambered in it. Fortunately brass has still been easily available for me.

Look into a 280 AI.
You pick up a LOT.
It's not a wildcat anymore

I would be happy with a M700 or M70 in .280 Rem for the rest of my life. Why not buy a .270 Win the action you like buy a Stock you like and have it rebarrled to .280 Rem and Cerkote it and it will do very well in North America for the rest of your life.

I would be happy with a M700 or M70 in .280 Rem for the rest of my life. Why not buy a .270 Win the action you like buy a Stock you like and have it rebarrled to .280 Rem and Cerkote it and it will do very well in North America for the rest of your life.
Ya know, I like that idea. I am going to do some more research, including some looking at used rifles. I’m in no real rush.
Look into a 280 AI.
You pick up a LOT.

I have heard of the.280 AI for years but never looked very closely at the cartridge. I did a google search on it and it seems like it may be worth considering for sure, especially since I can handload. I found it particularly interesting that you can fire the .280 Rem through the .280 Ackley and wind up with fire formed .280 Ackley brass...

I can see myself ending up with both at some point lol. One of the benefits of being a bachelor...

I picked up the Remington in March. Very impressed with it.
I like mine a lot. I was going to replace the trigger, but after tuning it and shooting it a while, it’s good enough for government work. I’d like the stock to be a little more svelte through the wrist, but it works.

I like mine a lot. I was going to replace the trigger, but after tuning it and shooting it a while, it’s good enough for government work. I’d like the stock to be a little more svelte through the wrist, but it works.
Agreed , I dont care for the way your wrist is positioned with the grip on the mountain rifle. That's why I let mine go otherwise a great gun! To the op .280 is a great choice that will be my next rifle as well.

Look into a 280 AI.
You pick up a LOT.

Any feeding issues with the 280 AI’s sharp shoulder angle?

I had a Remington Model 700 Mountain Rifle in 280 Remington. I loved that rifle and killed a lot of elk, deer, and antelope with it. All the while I owned it thought, I wish it had the 24" barrel like the Model 70 Winchester. I finally found a Model 70 Classic Sporter in 270 Winchester with a nice walnut stock on it. I had my gunsmith rebarrel it to 280 AI. (I was going to build another 280 as it's such a great cartridge, but I thought you know the 280AI might be fun!). The barrel is a 24" Shilen match grade barrel. The action and barrel were treated to a John Norrel Arms Moly Resin finish that matches the finish on Leupold scopes. The action and bolt face were both trued and the trigger was adjusted to 2.5 pounds and breaks like glass. The stock was both pillar and glass bedded and I put a 4.5-14x40mm Leupold with the B&C reticle on the rifle. Love that scope and rifle combination.

If you find a used 280 Remington you will love it! It is a fantastic cartridge. You might look for a used Ruger Model 77 in 280, or a Remington 700, or even a Winchester Model 70. I know the Model 70 Featherweight was chambered for the 280 Remington. The Ruger 1B is also a great rifle and it was chambered in the 280 Remington. That would be a sweet one. I own two Ruger 1B's in 30-06 and 6mm Remington. I love shooting, hunting, and carrying them in the field.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/9212017...ter-Single-Shot-Rifle-280-Remington-11383.htm. I like the 26" barrel on the 1B better but this is still nice.

FOUND YOUR RIFLE FOR YOU!!! Winchester Model 70 Super Grade - 24" barrel

This is a good one too!!

Look into a 280 AI.
You pick up a LOT.

‘Zactly what I was thinking

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9