MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

280 rem

Never shot an elk with them but ever animal I have shot with the 280 and cores were dead and found

I'd look for some Federal or Nosler .280 stuff loaded with a 140 gr. Partition, Accubond, or E-tip. The one's you are looking at will work but..........

Most guys that are critical of the Core-Lokt haven't ever killed a thing with them. Thank God there was no Internet when I was hammering elk with them out of my .06. If they shoot, kill stuff. mtmuley

I'd use a 140 grain barnes. Will do well on elk and will be slightly flatter shooting and easier to hit with. Lights out on deer and antelope as well. If you're set on using that load I think it'll do just fine. I'm partial to all copper.

Never shot an elk. The corelokts out of my 25-06 shot well under sub moa, and killed all the deer and pigs I shot at.

Is there better choices, yes.

I've killed moose, elk and many mule deer with corelokts! Most one shot kills! Not to mention many pigs.

Most guys that are critical of the Core-Lokt haven't ever killed a thing with them. Thank God there was no Internet when I was hammering elk with them out of my .06. If they shoot, kill stuff. mtmuley

I'm sure the guys here tire of me telling advice seekers how I've been shooting Core-Lokt for over 35 years and never had a problem. With my 7RM I've shot jackrabbits. coyotes, antelope, deer and bull elk and they just plain work. If your gun shoots them well then by all means use them.
Some people probably think they can't possibly work because they have been around for so long and everything else must be so much better.

I'm sure the guys here tire of me telling advice seekers how I've been shooting Core-Lokt for over 35 years and never had a problem. With my 7RM I've shot jackrabbits. coyotes, antelope, deer and bull elk and they just plain work. If your gun shoots them well then by all means use them.
Some people probably think they can't possibly work because they have been around for so long and everything else must be so much better.

Great advice and I will add I have also killed a truck load of critters with a Core lokt with no issues in a 35 rem and 30-06.

Mtmuley's advice is also great advice.

Happy Shooting

I'm not saying there isn't anything better, but if you keep velocities sane, the Core-Lokt works great. If a rifle likes them and that is what you have, I wouldn't worry about smacking an elk with one. mtmuley

My 30.06 rifles shoot CoreLokt 165's with great accuracy. I've had no reason to try anything else for the last 25 years. Elk or Deer.

Just my opinion, they're a good bullet and they're going to be around a long time to come, but there are more accurate and better constructed bullets around. I used them for a long time and only had one occasion in which I felt the bullet let me down, it was on a bull and I did still get the bull, but in my very subjective opinion that bullet should have done better. Shortly after that my son really got into reloading and developed a load for me using AccuBonds, I've been an AccuBond fan since. If you don't reload, I'd still experiment with few of the "premium" factory offerings and see if you find something even more accurate and that may perform better. Again, just my opinion, but accuracy improvements are worthwhile and the cost of ammo in a hunting round is worth a little extra. Bottom line though, if your gun likes Core-Lokt and you make a good shot - you'll have a dead elk.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuckyDraw
Back