280.ai

kiwi hunta

Just bought one as my long range Tahr project its on an earlier Weatherby action with a 1/10 shilen barrel comes with Redding dies and 30 cases.

Does anyone shoot one, would like some data on powder and projectiles, my first American rifle:eek: but I think the early Weatherby actions were built by Parker Hale so I'll call it British:hump::)

cheers.

I don't have an AI but have a couple 'regulars'. My favorite bullet as of the last 6-7 years is the 160gr Accubond.

Sounds like a sweet little rifle. Any pics?

I've shot one for the last 4 years now. I shoot the 168gr. Bergers and RL-22. Good velocity and accuracy is stellar.
H4831 or H1000 will probably work well for you as well. I would bet you won't have a problem getting it to shoot well. Good luck!

Thanks, not sure if we can get reloader here in NZ but I have ADI 2213sc which is almost identical in burn rate and I can get some Vihtavuori n165 as well which is the same.

How are you making your cases up? just 280 cases with a hunting load to fireform or some other way, will be buying some Norma, Nosler or Lapua brass in 280 to start.

I can borrow same 162 grn amax to start some load development I use 140 amax,s in 6.5 with good results but would also like to get some interlocks or gamekings to shoot well.

cheers
Jeff.

I have been using the Nosler Custom 280AI brass. No fireforming involved. I'm really impressed with that brass. Under 1/2" @ 200 yards out of the box. Just a slight once over with the VLD neck tool and unify the primer pockets.

Umm going to get some corelocks (cheap) to fireform the cases , what sort of powder charge do you need to ensure correct forming?

At least in my 223AI, I start with a max load for the parent cartridge and get very well formed brass. Since the chamber is bigger than the parent, if done correctly an AI shouldn't have pressure issues doing that. I haven't. Fireform loads often shoot quite well and in my case good enough to hunt with. I've killed quite a few jackrabbits, prairie dogs, ground squirrels, and one pronghorn while fireforming!
DoePronghornHuntnearWoodruffUtah2.jpg

Ok got a box of 156 SST Hornys and a box of 140 Noslers and a kg of N560 to play with, couldn't get the Minox to fit over the receiver with low rings so have put the old standby ( Clearidge 4.5-14) on, (must buy a couple more of them as back ups), hope to have some loaded this week work permitting then up to the farm in the weekend to try them out.

cheers Jeff.

Well the 140 Noslers with 60 grns of ADI 2213sc shot under an inch straight up :D have put on a Burris fullfield 11 4.5-14 I got from the states with some Warne rings.

I'll just use this load to hunt with and develop a load with the sst,s and amaxs, no need to rush now. :)

jeff

I fire formed Norma 280 cases to 280AI. Neck turned 'em, deburred the flash holes and did the uniformed the primer pockets.. I load 56.0 gr. of IMR4831 with Nosler BT just kissing the lands. This rifle will shoot 1/2" groups with this load. Velocity is 3000 fps. +/- 10 fps. spread. I have won two 200 egg shoot matches with this setup. It could be loaded for a faster load but this is the most accurate load. My rifle is a Rem. 700 Sendero stock with a PacNor bbl. smithed by Darrel Holland. I would think that a good Nosler Accubond bullet would be aqccurate and deadly. MTG

Ok thanks can borrow some of them to try, I'm looking for long range energy 600yds + which is why I'm trying the 154 and 163 Hornys, guns in the shop getting the feeding smoothed out.

cheers
jeff.

280ai

Kiwi, you can polish the feed ramp yourself if you have a Dremel tool. Simply remove the action/bbl. from the stock and polish from under side of action. I use a rotary brush, round cylindrical tube type brush with a small stem that fits into the Dremel tool, with some polishing compound to do so. I performed same work operation on my 260AI for smooth and efficient feeding into the chamber. Both rifles perform flawlessly. Let me know how your rifle works out. MTG

The follower is the wrong shape and the spring is a bit weak, hard to find the correct follower anywhere now but have a couple to try from the local gunshop, springs are as rare as hens teeth but will try Brownings.

Shot a 4 shot 20mm group in the weekend with the Hornady 154 sst and 57 grns of N560 no pressure signs so going to keep moving up a bit and see if I can get any more speed.

cheers
Jeff

Got the Cooper 280AI sited in and ready to roll for the Montana Antelope opener!!! Hopefully will be able to let you know how it field tested come Monday:D

Back