PEAX Equipment

280? 280AI Goldilocks

Buy or build a 280 or 280AI

• Why not.. I have two kidneys anyway and don't need to justify a reason to buy another caliber.

Votes: 34 82.9%
  • Be happy with what I have and use the .270 Your wife is right and its all in your head anyway.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • The Dirty Ought Six will do it all anyway in a 1-10 spend the money on Dairy Queen and fishing stuff

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters

OleRedbeard

Too much or too little gun. The age old reason to build something else..... maybe.
Lets say for example that you limited your shots to under 450 yards that still being 100 yards further than I can recall shooting at anything bigger than a groundhog that being said it makes it all just about a moot point...
I love my 25-06 for goats and feel like its just about perfect on them and even the occasional open country whitetail but.... anything bigger I feel under gunned
I find myself reaching for the .270 more often than not if its solely deer of any kind that I'm going after, for some reason I feel under gunned with it chasing elk.. even though I have seen it drop many a wapiti over the years and there's absolutely no personal justification to feel this way about the old O'Conner special. Its a fine cartridge probably my favorite if I had a gun pointed to my head and was made to pick only one.. Absolutely perfect pronghorn and deer rifle even killed several good bear with it... just limited bullet selection
Then there is the dirty ought six. I have put more stuff in a freezer than the Clintons with one including the tire on a Honda 3 wheeler many years ago that it flattened dead in its tracks. I just don't care much for carrying it chasing antelope.
all that bad grammar, punctuation and a terrible tire joke aside... I have never owned a 280 nor the AI. Having recently decided I owe it to myself to give all my 30-06 derivatives a new friend who I might in the coming years feel better about grabbing for just about everything and not feeling over or under gunned... you see where I stand..
Maybe with the rain outside and no primers to load and also with two actions downstairs just asking to be barreled I am just bored and looking at possibilities in the coming season to carry around something different.

I wanted to vote in your poll, but couldn't find the "all the above" button! :D

Not a darn thing wrong with any of the cartridges you have already!
No need to feel undergunned with any of them.

That being said, there is no way that i'm going to even try to talk you out of a 280, or 280AI!

I'd love a .280 Rem. I feel like if I had one that is all I'd hunt with. I have the same rifle quiver as you and love them, but they are mostly specialized tools. .25-06 is for antelope and sometimes mule deer, .270 is for mule deer and sometimes cow elk. .30-06 is for elk. I don't handload and there is limited availability of ammo for most .280s. I'd also want to shoot a 150-160 grain copper bullet and don't know anyone who factory loads that.

I have had two 7x57’s, one 280 Rem, two .270’s (still have one) and now a Kimber Hunter in 280 AI with a 24 “ match grade SS barrel, scaled down pre 64 Winchester CRF action, weighs 5 ¾ pounds and shoots a cloverleaf three shot groups at 100 yards with 150 grain TTSX going way over 3,000”/sec. After the third shot the skinny barral heats up and my group goes to 1 1/2 plus inches.

It took me some time to refine this load, but the load development paid off.

The efficiency of the 280AI is amazing,,,right there with my friends 7mm mag, but it uses a lot less powder and is a very mild in recoil especially for such a light rifle

The rifle cost me $800 new, has a sweet out of the box trigger and is the only rifle I can carry all day and forget it slung over my shoulder.

I am 73 and next season will be my 59th.

Last year I took a large mule deer with it at under a hundred yards and the 150grain TTSX performed ideally.

I used it with full confidence for elk season, but chose to not take a shot at a legal spike elk at 400 yards because recovery would not have been possible even with horses.

It gets me 200’/sec more with the 150 grain TTSX than with my .280 in a 22 inch barrel and that makes a serious difference as an elk rifle.

My .270 gets the same velocity with 140 Barnes bullets as the 280AI gets with the 150 grain, but the 280 AI can use much heavier bullets than the .270 ever could. That alone really ups the game for elk.

I put an older 3-9 Burris on it. This scope has reticles that are a little thicker and I do not need my glasses to have the center of the cross hair in focus. This rig is lean and fits in my old saddle scabbard with plenty of room.

I have had two 7x57’s, one 280 Rem, two .270’s (still have one) and now a Kimber Hunter in 280 AI with a 24 “ match grade SS barrel, scaled down pre 64 Winchester CRF action, weighs 5 ¾ pounds and shoots a cloverleaf three shot groups at 100 yards with 150 grain TTSX going way over 3,000”/sec. After the third shot the skinny barral heats up and my group goes to 1 1/2 plus inches.

It took me some time to refine this load, but the load development paid off.

The efficiency of the 280AI is amazing,,,right there with my friends 7mm mag, but it uses a lot less powder and is a very mild in recoil especially for such a light rifle

The rifle cost me $800 new, has a sweet out of the box trigger and is the only rifle I can carry all day and forget it slung over my shoulder.

I am 73 and next season will be my 59th.

Last year I took a large mule deer with it at under a hundred yards and the 150grain TTSX performed ideally.

I used it with full confidence for elk season, but chose to not take a shot at a legal spike elk at 400 yards because recovery would not have been possible even with horses.

It gets me 200’/sec more with the 150 grain TTSX than with my .280 in a 22 inch barrel and that makes a serious difference as an elk rifle.

My .270 gets the same velocity with 140 Barnes bullets as the 280AI gets with the 150 grain, but the 280 AI can use much heavier bullets than the .270 ever could. That alone really ups the game for elk.

I put an older 3-9 Burris on it. This scope has reticles that are a little thicker and I do not need my glasses to have the center of the cross hair in focus. This rig is lean and fits in my old saddle scabbard with plenty of room.
Sounds like you've got a good argument in favor of me getting one.

I'll have to look into the Sherman. I've heard of them but never looked into it's ballistics.
If your just after ballistics it’s not worth it for what you gain over the 280AI. It’s having something different and being able to get the most out of that case with still having good neck length.

For example I push a 180g about 50fps faster than the hottest 30-06AI load in the Nosler book. I can push it harder and get around 100fps, but I backed it off for better accuracy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back