280? 280AI Goldilocks

Buy or build a 280 or 280AI

• Why not.. I have two kidneys anyway and don't need to justify a reason to buy another caliber.

Votes: 34 82.9%
  • Be happy with what I have and use the .270 Your wife is right and its all in your head anyway.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • The Dirty Ought Six will do it all anyway in a 1-10 spend the money on Dairy Queen and fishing stuff

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters
I am sold two rifles to get into one rifle.
I ended up with a Kimber Montana in 280AI and I am loving it. I took two Caribou with it in March and am currently weekend hunting for my first Black Bear. The 280AI is a fantastic flat shooting round. I have been surprised at its ease to shoot and how accurate even this light rifle is.
I would say you definitely do not need another gun. But there is no harm in getting something new. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor, the 280 Ackley and will plan to get a 'big boy' caliber in the future for the rare chance I need it. But I'll be hunting everything from Moose to Sitka Blacktail with this 280AI.

I reload. Which is another reason I'm considering the Ackley. I guess I just want another rifle after mulling it over a few days.
When you seat bullets in th 280 AI, lube them. The shoulder is not steep and if the fit gets too tight, the case collapses and is ruined. a little lube,,,no problem

I think either will serve you very well. I believe a rifle made to just to your specifics will mean a lot more to you than what cartridge you go with.
A stock sized just for you, barrel length and contour you prefer, mounts and rings and scope you like and the trigger of your choosing
Yes the Rifle will mean more and either cartridge will mean less and I doubt you will ever see a difference in the field, I would bet.

I owned a 280 Remington for years in a 700 MTN rifle. It shot great and killed coyotes, antelope, deer, and elk to include my largest 6 point bull. Awesome cartridge! I sold the Remington knowing that I wanted to replace it with something else. I wanted another 280 Remington but I wanted it in a Mauser style action like the Model 70 with the controlled round feed, or the Ruger 77. Neither factory rifle was available with the 24" barrel which is something else I also wanted instead of the 22" barrels. Winchester I believe did have the Super Grade with a 24" barrel but that was a lot of $$$.

I found a used Model 70 in a 270 Winchester. It was controlled round feed, was used but in fantastic condition, had a very nice walnut stock. Perfect for a build!! I had my gunsmith rebarrel with a 24" barrel 1-9 twist and instead of going with the 280 Remington which I mulled over also, I went with the 280 AI. I just thought it might be a great cartridge and fun to shoot. Oh my is it! I love that rifle. It's taken antelope, deer, elk, and a grizzly bear all with one shot using 140 gr. Partitions or Accubonds (grizzly).

I owned a 280 Remington for years in a 700 MTN rifle. It shot great and killed coyotes, antelope, deer, and elk to include my largest 6 point bull. Awesome cartridge! I sold the Remington knowing that I wanted to replace it with something else. I wanted another 280 Remington but I wanted it in a Mauser style action like the Model 70 with the controlled round feed, or the Ruger 77. Neither factory rifle was available with the 24" barrel which is something else I also wanted instead of the 22" barrels. Winchester I believe did have the Super Grade with a 24" barrel but that was a lot of $$$.

I found a used Model 70 in a 270 Winchester. It was controlled round feed, was used but in fantastic condition, had a very nice walnut stock. Perfect for a build!! I had my gunsmith rebarrel with a 24" barrel 1-9 twist and instead of going with the 280 Remington which I mulled over also, I went with the 280 AI. I just thought it might be a great cartridge and fun to shoot. Oh my is it! I love that rifle. It's taken antelope, deer, elk, and a grizzly bear all with one shot using 140 gr. Partitions or Accubonds (grizzly).
when you mention partitions and accubonds your speaking my language. Nothing better as far as a good hunting bullet at least so far as I have seen.
I recently re-barreled my dads old shot out model 70 back into 06 after mulling over possibly putting a 25-06 barrel on it which he had talked about possibly doing.
I have a post 64 action downstairs just waiting on a new lease on life that will probably be the candidate for this build and a VZ24 action that is in fairly good shape I will eventually do something with.
The whole 22 inch barrel thing is the biggest reason I started to piddle around with simply buying actions. Many of the really good calibers are hard to find outside of that length and don't start to shine till you hit around 24 inches.. especially the 25-06.
now..... A 257 Roberts however in a nice Mauser action and a 22 inch barrel.... laying in a nice piece of wood...o_O

I have loaded quite a bit of it and never had a issue. Not even close to having a issue, if you need that much pressure to seat a bullet you are doing something terribly wrong.
I have no answer other than to state what has happened, twice. I trim casings to proper lentgh then use the campher tool and twice now as i seated the bullet the 28AI case collapsed. The slightest touch of lube made seating the bullet a breeze.

When you seat bullets in th 280 AI, lube them. The shoulder is not steep and if the fit gets too tight, the case collapses and is ruined. a little lube,,,no problem
What brass are you using? I have 280AI that I fireform 280 brass and another 280AI that I use either Nosler or Peterson 280AI brass. What is your inside neck dia?

One of these days when I get myself a good short action donor I'm going to be split on the 284 Win and a 7mm-08, Always been a fan of that cartridge.
I'd only go with the 284 Win if the magazine is 3" or longer. For the bullets I'm interested in for a 7mm, I'd go -08 version if shorter than 3". IMO, the Tikka would be great set up as a 284 Win. Have thought about having my 260 Rem rechambered to 6.5X284, but too many projects in front of that one.

I'd only go with the 284 Win if the magazine is 3" or longer. For the bullets I'm interested in for a 7mm, I'd go -08 version if shorter than 3". IMO, the Tikka would be great set up as a 284 Win. Have thought about having my 260 Rem rechambered to 6.5X284, but too many projects in front of that one.
Why not go with an action that was originally used with a .284 Win or are those also too short if you go with faster twists and heavier bullets?

Why not go with an action that was originally used with a .284 Win or are those also too short if you go with faster twists and heavier bullets?
The 6.5x284 Norma oal length is 3.228". My 284 is build long action and I can seat out to almost 3.300" depending on bullets used.

My 284 I use for hunting.

The 6.5x284 Norma oal length is 3.228". My 284 is build long action and I can seat out to almost 3.300" depending on bullets used.

My 284 I use for hunting.
Precisely why 6.5/284 builders choose LA because of COAL with the heavier bullets.

The NULA has a 3" magazine length. Most common like the Rem 700 have a 2.8" magazine. Some of the new, sleek, longer bullets will have the ogive below the case mouth and still fit the 2.8" magazine. A Tikka is kinda short for a long action, making it a decent fit. IIRC a Winchester 70 short action will allow for 3" or there abouts. All depends on the bullets you'd like to shoot.

The .280 Rem is my favorite cartridge. so you wouldn't have to twist my arm to build or buy one. It's more versatile than the .270 with todays bullet weights and choices. Apples to apples it'll beat the .270 all day. A 9 twist or even better an 8 and it'll smoke the .270 and the .30-06

Back