Caribou Gear

.270 Win vs 30-06 Sprinfield (Debate)

You forgot the 6.5-06!!!!

Its better than the 270 AND 30-06!!!

(I kid, I kid. But you really did forget the cartridge.)

I also think there is a 22 cal version as well as 8mm.
Holy crap I did forget the 6.5-06 and you are correct it is a fine one! It and the 6.5-284 & 6.5 PRC are all right at the same velocity and should be no reason the 6.5-06 isn't just as accurate!! :)

The only thing holding me back from buying a 30-06 of my own right now is the likelihood that my father’s -06 will be passed down to me in a few short seasons.

I find it interesting that there isn't the great rivalry between the two cartridges as there was when Jack O'Connor wrote about the .270 win. Some folks would teased owners saying it was a woman's gun and said it was not suited for anything over mule deer. Arguements would get pretty heated. Things have certainly changed. Maybe due to manufacturers designing better bullets, or just plain availability and popularity. Or being a family rifle handed down through the years. At any rate, the great debate over which is better seems to have gone by the wayside.
Maybe with the introduction of new calibers for the .277 bullet, like 27 Nosler, there will become more of a wider selection of well constructed bullets to choose from.

I find it interesting that there isn't the great rivalry between the two cartridges as there was when Jack O'Connor wrote about the .270 win. Some folks would teased owners saying it was a woman's gun and said it was not suited for anything over mule deer. Arguements would get pretty heated. Things have certainly changed. Maybe due to manufacturers designing better bullets, or just plain availability and popularity. Or being a family rifle handed down through the years. At any rate, the great debate over which is better seems to have gone by the wayside.
Maybe with the introduction of new calibers for the .277 bullet, like 27 Nosler, there will become more of a wider selection of well constructed bullets to choose from.
I think better bullets have made an important contribution to effective hunting, but I think hunters are just naturally prickly folks and we have just moved the argument to 7mm08 vs 300wm for elk ;)

I think better bullets have made an important contribution to effective hunting, but I think hunters are just naturally prickly folks and we have just moved the argument to 7mm08 vs 300wm for elk ;)
I think 270 and 30-06 fans have joined together knowing both are way more versatile for hunting North American medium-big game than the 6.5 CM. :LOL:

Since that debate has been hashed out you should have gone 30-06 vs 280 Remington. Some fresh blood in the ring!! Pretty much the same answers as given above though.

How about this debate out of these cartridges based on the 30-06 to include the 30-06 which one is the best in the pack? Without an altered case such as the 280AI as an example.
I know, that probably stirred the pot.

6mm-06
25-06
30-06
338-06
35 Whelan
I really liked my 280 rem and have regretted selling it from time to time but I chose the 30-06 over it based on ammunition cost and availability. I don't reload so I'm stuck with what I can find in stores. For my purposes they were to similar in accuracy, range and effectiveness to justify the additional cost to shoot. I shoot a lot so its a factor for me.

I own rifles in both calibers, both are very accurate and reliable. I like the fact that with my 270, I don't have to search for loads, I use a 130gr. Barnes TTSX for everything, and never had issue or felt undergunned. As for my 30-06, I like it's versatility with different weight bullets, but over the years I've realized a good 165-168gr. bullet is perfect for most hunting situations, and if I go on a guided hunt, most guides will tell you 30-06 is just fine. I'm not concerned with long range, because I handicap myself to 300-350 yards in a hunting situation, but when punching holes on paper, I feel good and do well out to 500 yards. As for which one I choose more often, honestly both have been good to me, so I rotate between the two during hunting season.

Heres my 2 cents this comes from a bow hunter ,I do gun hunt but not much any more I like the 06 just due to versatility their are so many calibers that the balistics are so very close 270,280 30/06 ,308 7mm
all very good calibers for most big game
I used to have lots of nice guns in many different calibers and yrs back decided to get rid of many and buy a few VERY nice guns with high end scopes so now I have less but higher end, one is a 30/06 and a 300 mag I figure im good on all big game in the USA and more with the 2
As Ive gotten older my fathers pratical side seems to have croped up in my life I guess lol

Reactions: FLS
Well, part of the fun is buying a rifle in every caliber to see for yourself which one’s better. That’s been my opinion for years now. Never regretted buying a single one.

To the OP, 30-06 if still germane...with an obligatory .270 little brother.

In on page 4.

270 with 129 grain LRX is tough to beat IMO. I don't have one but I like the data. I would take that over a CM.
Great for Pronghorn, pigs, deer.
A little light for ELK IMO but I'm sure if you put one through the boiler room it will be DRT.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back