Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

.270 Win vs 30-06 Sprinfield (Debate)

Join us cool kids and shoot 280AI ;)
giphy.gif

Its common for people to use a 130 grain bullet in the .270 win and 150 grain bullet in the 30-06 on deer size animals. Anything less is usually considered for varmints. For sake of discussion, I know sectional density is important, but wouldn't the 30-06 with a 130 grain bullet work as well or even better than the .270 for deer size animals?

Maybe, maybe not. When you’re talking about shooting a small animal with two different cartridges that are both well above the minimum I think it gets hard to tell the difference. The .270Win would have a slight advantage in the wind and at distance due to a higher BC.

I shot a whitetail with a 125gr Nosler BT from an ‘06. It worked fine. Nothing to write home about.

My first big game rifle was a .270 win. I've killed deer, pronghorn, elk, and javelina with it without a problem. I'm sure a guy shooting a .30-06 could do the same with a little more recoil and not as flat of a trajectory. Ha!!

With todays powders and bullets I'd say it's a tie for 99% of a persons needs. I was just looking at the Alliant powders and loading data for both 270 & 30-06. When loading 150 grain bullets, 150 partition in the 270 & 150 TTSX in the 30-06. Both are listed just over 3000fps. I didn't check the BC or SD but I don't think they will much different for all practical purposes.
So with all this said I must say I have never owned a 30-06 but did shoot a Black Bear with a buddy's. I shot my first deer with my Dad's model 70 270 with the old 4x weaver scope. I now own that rifle and my uncles model 70 270. Guess I kinda like them. My uncles was built in 1951 and dad's in 1952 according to the serial numbers. So which is best? Well the 30-06 is the original and the 270 a offspring. Both will do what needs to be done. Ballistics are similar so which one is better? The 270 of course because it has the cool factor cornered and that's just the way it is. But that's just my opinion ;)
Dan

When I was looking to get a hunting rifle, I knew I wanted to get something that could do most anything that I would care to do. Plenty of good options, and most of the people I know are shooting a .270. I wanted to be different though, and my dad always wanted a 30-06 but never got one (my wonderful mom didn't understand the difference between a 30-30 and 30-06 and did buy him a Winchester lever action once though). So I went with the 30-06 and haven't had any reason to change. I am looking at picking up a short cartridge as a backup or loaner rifle for deer season around here (thinking .243 but haven't decided).

My Savage 110 likes the 168 gr Barnes TTSX really well, so that's what I'm going to continue loading. I do have a couple of factory loads that shoot minute of deer as well, just in case I need some in a pinch.

If I had gone with a .270, I don't think anything would be different about my experiences.

. . . my dad always wanted a 30-06 but never got one (my wonderful mom didn't understand the difference between a 30-30 and 30-06 and did buy him a Winchester lever action once though).
. . .
I am looking at picking up a short cartridge as a backup or loaner rifle for deer season around here (thinking .243 but haven't decided).
For the woods of NC I would use dad's 30-30 lever action for deer back-up (or primary in fact). But if you want a new bolt, the 260Rem or 6.5cm are great deer cartridges with better barrel life than .243.

For the woods of NC I would use dad's 30-30 lever action for deer back-up (or primary in fact). But if you want a new bolt, the 260Rem or 6.5cm are great deer cartridges with better barrel life than .243.
I would totally use it if he had not gotten the blessing to trade it in for a pistol since he's not able to hunt. Thought about those options as well.

I grew up shooting a 270 and have killed antelope, deer, elk and moose with it just fine. I have never used the 30-06, but I like the idea it over the 270 for an all purpose caliber, because of the wider selection of bullet weights in factory ammo. That said, I just got my son a 7mm-08 for his first big game rifle, haha.

Danger Danger Will Robinson.....Man Bun Advocate approaching!
I'm going to frame this one. A new label for me (and nicer than most ;) ). Have never hunted with one, and don't have a hunting rifle in this cartridge. But do have a couple of range target rifles in 6.5cm and like it for 600/800y target stuff. I have long told newer hunters to go .260Rem or 7mm08Rem, but if I am willing to suggest 260Rem I should at least acknowledge that the 6.5cm has matching performance and better ammo availability.

What a great debate. I personally own a Marlin XL7 30-06 that I bought on sale when NY legalized the use of rifles in my area. Why did I choose that over a 270? I chose it because it was in stock at the time. Used it to kill several deer before I moved out west. I have never shot a 270 but had always considered it a possible option for a future purchase. Out west it's flat trajectory compared to non-magnum 30 caliber firearms makes it an attractive look see. I bought my girlfriend a 7-08 and personally used that myself on a hunting trip to NY in 2018. I really like that little round, I think it is a nice compromise between smaller caliber and the larger caliber rounds. As far as the OP saying what is more accurate, neither. Accuracy is more a function of the correct round for the correct rifle in the hands of a shooter that is competent and knows their own limits.

For me 30.06 a classic very versatile round but nothing wrong with a 270. Bottom line depends on the target.

No reason to be a slave to the almighty ballistic coefficient. mtmuley

No kidding. It cracks me up, how people fret over bc and then go kill stuff under 400 yards. It is pretty irrelevant, unless you think that you want to shoot way past that distance. At long distance, it can make a difference, but realistically, it is irrelevant for 90 percent of hunting scenarios. The new high-bc bullets look cool and that is really important.:rolleyes:

As far as the two cartridges brought up in this corona discussion, pick one and go forth and kill. They are both great.

No kidding. It cracks me up, how people fret over bc and then go kill stuff under 400 yards. It is pretty irrelevant, unless you think that you want to shoot way past that distance. At long distance, it can make a difference, but realistically, it is irrelevant for 90 percent of hunting scenarios. The new high-bc bullets look cool and that is really important.:rolleyes:

As far as the two cartridges brought up in this corona discussion, pick one and go forth and kill. They are both great.
Point taken, but it's not at all irrelevant if you're trying to use a cartridge that is on the smaller side (either because it's a recoil sensitive kid who's shooting, or you're averse to recoil yourself, or it's just what you have). In those situations, the difference in BC between a 6.5 cm and a .308 makes a pretty big difference in terms of effective range within the bounds of acceptable recoil. I even run into this sometimes with my 7mm-08. The difference in BC between different bullets can mean the difference between a load I trust on elk out to 300 yards vs. one I'd trust out to 400 yards.

Still, I think your overall point is valid.

I generally agree. Under 300y or so neither BC or bullet caliber/cartridge are big differentiators - quality placement and quality bullet are the real drivers of effectiveness for most common hunting situations. High BC and big magnums can be fun, but should not be necessary for most.

On the other had, many of us are locked indoors too much these days and hairsplitting on dozens of overlapping cartridges does provide a little distraction ;)

Last edited:
I just purchased my boy a Remington 700 270 that we can’t wait to hunt with. We plan to use it for big game in Montana. I have never used one, but have always hunted with a 30-06 or 7mm mag, and either one are great rounds. I would never not own or hunt with a 30-06. I have never hit an animal with either round, but have lost deer with a 243 and 338, both were lethal hits but they got into rivers.

I do have Ruger No. 1 in 25/06 with rings no scope for sale at $750. No more price drops and somebody should buy it!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back