.270 Elk Load

fargoflyfish

I was wondering what everyone shoots out of their .270s for Elk? Any good factory or custom loads that you could suggest? Thanks

I typically shoot 130 gr. and every now and again 150 gr. from my savage,but either will do just fine, if you are planning to shoot out past 400 yards, i suggest a custom load. i like shooting the Fusion cartridges. 130 gr has less drop when shooting long distance, 350+ yards. hope this helps.

I was able to take a bull with 130gr Federal Game King a few years ago for a TV show I did with Academy Sports & Outdoors. Normally that would not have been my choice, but the sponsor requested that bullet....it was effective!

140gr. Nosler Accubond behind a max load of IMR4350... great elk load!!! My Howa shoots them under an inch....

Any load featuring these bullets will do the trick:

Nosler Partition
Nosler Accubond
Nosler E-tip
Barnes TSX
Barnes TTSX
Hornady Interbond
Hornady GMX
Swift A-Frame
Swift Scirocco
Federal Trophy Bonded Tip
Winchester XP3

Weight doesn't matter as much as bullet construction. 270's need a decent bullet for elk. Their velocity is high enough and elk bones are big enough to cause bullet failures.

Awesome info fellas-super ironic!!! I have a first timer (co - worker from Cali) getting ready for his 1st hunting experience. 3rd season deer and 4th season elk hunts. Hooked him up with the pack and glass, so he can scout this weekend. We were just discussing bullets and a good load for the .270 win short mag he is borrowing. Good luck this season.

Awesome info fellas-super ironic!!! I have a first timer (co - worker from Cali) getting ready for his 1st hunting experience. 3rd season deer and 4th season elk hunts. Hooked him up with the pack and glass, so he can scout this weekend. We were just discussing bullets and a good load for the .270 win short mag he is borrowing. Good luck this season.

Son recently worked up a 140 AB/Superformance powder load for his 270 short mag. However, he was getting 1/2 inch with factory Nosler Custom 140 AB's. Reccommend the latter for a borrow.

When I reloaded I shot 140 gr barnes x bullet, factory ammo was 150 gr partition. That wasnt my first choice, but the partition killed 4 elk, so i guess you cannot argue with success!

Gotta agree with CoryG. 140gr accubond. I had my best groups with 53gr imr4831 (.7 in) and 54gr RL19 (.64) out of a browning A-bolt.

I switched over to a Barnes 140 TSX a couple of years ago in my Rem 721 .270 Win with very good results, accuracy and performance wise. Had some "brand name" bullets come completely apart a couple of years ago on a quartering away ram and immediately switched to the mono's. As stated before of all the places to save money on a hunt, don't do it on bullets.

Here's what a 150 grain Nosler Partition did to my boys elk at 200 yards

Attachments

• MichaelsElk 022.jpg
    MichaelsElk 022.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 5,688
I have reloaded 130's from a lot of bullet manufactures but I keep going back to Noslers.
It seems the best load for me is Noslers 140 grain ballistic tip with 52 1/2 grains of 4831 hogdon. I know most have trouble with ballistic tips fragmenting bad but the trick is to load on the low end of the scale and slow them down for terminal velocity.

150 gr. Nosler Partitian in front of 53gr. of IMR4831. Has been my go to elk round for over 20 years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Belly Deep's list above is a good one. Find the Bullet that shoots well in your rifle and you are good to go.

150 Partition is pretty much the standard elk bullet for a .270. I'm kinda partial to Accubonds tho

150 Partition is pretty much the standard elk bullet for a .270. I'm kinda partial to Accubonds tho

I started to work up a load for the 140 gr. Accubond last year and got good results. A couple powders got me down to 3/4 of an inch at 100. I will probably switch over in the near future, as soon as I finish off the three boxes of 150 Partitions I have stored up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back