.264 Winchester Mag

gundog

I currently load 140 grain bullets at 3150 fps. I read somewhere that the orginal Winchester loads were much faster because Winchester loaded a "dual" radiused bullet. Is there any truth to this?

According to the recent article in Rifle magazine, yes. How longs your barrel? The load data in the article topped out at 3200fps with 140's in a 26" bbl. With that high BC of those bullets that's still mucho flat. Sounds like you have a winner.

I've got the 26" barrel--about 500 rounds through it and the throat is eroding quickly--accuracy is starting to fall off. I think the throat erosion is responsible for the 3150 fps.
A couple of years it was making right at 3100 with a max load. I'll probably re-barrel with a Hart stainless after this year.

Thanks.

I was always under the impression that the original load data was inflated by the manufacturer. Back in the day, like when I was 14 ;) I really had a thing for the 264... Great lil rifle. Shot several animals with it and it was a shooter. I was reloading and had a 24" barreled rifle. Never did shoot it over the chrono, but from what I've seen in books 3150-3200 is right around max w/ a 140.

i am a fan of a 264 also...i bought remingtons copy.. the 6.5 remington mag... many talk about a deer slaying cartridge.......

gundog said:
I've got the 26" barrel--about 500 rounds through it and the throat is eroding quickly--accuracy is starting to fall off. I think the throat erosion is responsible for the 3150 fps.
A couple of years it was making right at 3100 with a max load. I'll probably re-barrel with a Hart stainless after this year.

Thanks.
I think there is another problem, that is just not reasonable.

I've had the gun 25 years--well taken care of....It was shooting sub-inch groups up to about 350 rounds. By 500 rounds it was up to an 1.6 inches. I've had the bore scoped twice and heavy erosion is quite evident in the throat. I've checked everything--scope, mounts, bedding, screw torque, crown. I've used every cleaning method I can think of including electrolysis.

I have to agree with Rufus.. Usually when a throat erodes, the velocity falls off. I had a rem 700 Classic in 264 win mag that shot great groups after several thousand rounds. Didn't get the velocity it once got, but the accuracy was still there.. I would look to some other cause for the errosion of the accuracy.

By the way, what kind of loads are you shooting and what kinds of bullets?

:cool:

If this is the original load....

Seating depth
Powder Lot # (can really change vol)
A change of case mfg. Also are the cases hardened?
Primer

Just my $.02

Seating depth is the same--same primer 9.5 Rem--cases are fine.

Didn't think about powder lot#--that might be a good place to start.

Thanks for the help.

Gundog, Have you taken the action out of the stock recently? If you have, did it reseat correctly? If you haven't, are you sure the action still fits the stock correctly? Has the stock warped and put pressure on the barrel? Has the barrel worn away the pressure point that once put pressure on it? There are all kinds of things to look for. I would start with the simplest first. The action fit. Then maybe cleaning the bore with a good copper solvent bore cleaner. Perhaps the bedding needs to be redone? There are all kinds of things to look for. Same as you would with a new rifle.

I've checked and re-checked everything. I did put together some new loads Saturday with a different lot of powder (same load as always) per Gunner46(wish i'd thought of that earlier). Tried a few other powders but came up with nothing better. That tightened groups to 1.25 inches with the velocity back to 3100 fps...that's not bad given the throat erosion. I think I'll go with your suggestion and re-bed...Thanks.

After you do that, you may want to try my favorite load..

IMR 7828, 64.5 grains. Nosler 140 grain Partition. Fed 215 primer in WW cases. I usually got something over 3100 fps and it always printed in the .5 mos range.

Let us know how you do..

my self i load with 65 grains of IMR 7828 using 140 grain xlc velocity is 3195fps and the groups are 1/2 at 110 meters. I love my 264 Winchester Magnum would not trade it for the world I would like to find another but hard to get one

I've used 7828 in my 7mm Rem. Mag with good results but never in the .264. Sounds like you all are getting good accuracy. I will definitely give it a try. I haven't checked the books but I'd guess that 65 grains is close to maximum??

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back