264 win mag 130 grain barnes TSX

Xolotl6

What are your opinion on this bullet. I've used the TSX on Elk and when I've shot them the bullet pass right through and the animal seems to act like it didn't know if it got hit or what. Everyone never moved more then 20 yards. But to me it seemed like bullet is too tough. Its better to shoot in the arm and anchor them right there. The exit hole are big cant understand how elk can get hit like that and have a fist size exit hole and act like they never got hit. My load is 65 grains of Imr7828 Winchester brass and federal 215M primers. Velocity is 3,300fps. I have a 26" shilen barrel. I was thinking of trying Hornady 140 grain SST. So has anybody else experience this with Barnes tax?

At that velocity I don't think know if you want to try the SST. They tend to be fairly frangible so I would think you would make a mess of just about anything you shot. It sounds like the bullets you are using are working and performing as needed...can't get any deader than dead.

Absolutely not on the SST. You will have a big hole, but it will be on the entry side with no penetration at that velocity. Elk sometimes don't react like they are hit, when in reality they are dead and don't know it yet. If you want to change it up, go to a Partition and see if you like it better. A 140 Interlock will also serve you well.

IMO, it sounds like you have a pretty good performing load, and if I were you I probably wouldn't mess with it. I am not sure you are going to find a load in any caliber that is going to consistantly drop an bull in its tracks, without a hit to the spine or ruining a ton of meat.

I like the all coppers (TSX, Trophy Copper, GMX), but if you are looking for an alternative I would go with a bonded/tipped bullet like an Accubond, Trophy Bonded Tipped, Swift Scirrocco, etc. I know alot of guys kill alot of critters with Nosler Ballistic Tips and Hornady SSTs, but as a personal preference I stay away from them on anything bigger than an antelope. I figure I have thousands of dollars tied up in a rifle/optics/ammo/rangetime; all of which is being delivered through that bullet, so I go with the highest quality one I can find.

If you were using a 6.5 Swede or a 260 Rem I would say "Yeah, got ahead with the Nosler BT", but you're going waaayyyy beyond that bullets threshold. The load you are using now sounds like it's not broke, so why try to fix it ?

Before you go getting all excited, do some reading about hydrostatic shock and how that affects animals. You'll find that a bullet like that, from a caliber like that will turn everything inside to jelly and the animal won't go far at all. You will have a lot of bloodshot meat for sausage, but if you do your part, you won't have much trouble finding your critter. You don't need a large exit wound unless you have to blood trail an animal. Matter of fact, some hunters prefer a bullet that doesn't exit. One that is found under the hide on the off side. They claim that if it passes through, it didn't expend enough energy when it hit. It's a very old argument.

I would rather have them show little or no reaction and fall over dead within 20 yards than show a big reaction and run 1/2 mile. If I were to try another bullet 125 or 140 partitions would get a hard look.

My father and I (and a family friend or two) have been shooting 140 Hornady Spire points for the last 30 years. In that time, we have killed roughly 40 elk with them and a pile more deer and antelope...even a couple MT moose. Aside from a scant handful of poorly placed shots, the critters have been one shot kills with immediate reactions and short tracks. All of us are shooting 26" barrels on pre-64 Winchesters. No matter the distance, the result always is the same...very good. Just my two cents.

you should do just fine with the tsx in a 264. i use the TTSX 140 gr. in a 6.5-284 for many types of game like deer,antelope,caribou,and elk . so of them have been out to 600 yrds
are these the highest B.C. bullets out there ? hell no but at the end of the day when you are packing out your game who really cares what the B.C. is. to many guys seem to think if a bullet does not have some super high B.C it just can be used for longer range hunting
not sure why this is but that is just plain wrong

you should do just fine with the tsx in a 264. i use the TTSX 140 gr. in a 6.5-284 for many types of game like deer,antelope,caribou,and elk . so of them have been out to 600 yrds
are these the highest B.C. bullets out there ? hell no but at the end of the day when you are packing out your game who really cares what the B.C. is. to many guys seem to think if a bullet does not have some super high B.C it just can be used for longer range hunting
not sure why this is but that is just plain wrong

Its not that it can't be used but that it makes things easier. Things that are tough to deal with, like wind drift.

Point being, you won't be packing out any game if you miss your critter.

Most bullets aren't handicapped by their BC until past 500-600 yards, so you might not be seeing the effects at the distances you're shooting.

JBM, you need to define "Long range shooting" before you start discussing ballistic coefficient. Up to about 400 yards on a clear calm day with no wind, I would agree. If you get much farther than that or you get some cross wind, you will start noticing the effects of ballistic coefficient It will have a marked effect on drift, trajectory, as well as termincal velocity.. Doesn't mean you can't shoot with low BC bullets, just means it's more accurate and easier with hi BC bullets..

i do understand the a higher B.C. bullet will on paper have less wind drift on the longer shots
B.C. is only 1 of the links in a very long chain for good long range hunting .
i think to many guys have lost sight of this just like a few yrs ago it was all about how fast you could get your bullet going
i would much rather shoot a flat base bullet and maybe a little slower that groups very good then shoot a non wind drifting boat tail faster that does not group as good at 1000 yrds
but if that boat tail at higher fps shoots better in my gun i might shoot it.
all i am saying is the B.C. should never be the only thing to look at when choosing a good hunting bullet for any given rifle

I'd look at the Barnes LRX 127

I shoot this bullet out of my 6.5-284 with extremely good success. Only had it for one hunting season and took a nice lope at 450. One shot didn't move a step. I also was shooting a rock face at 1425 yards with it a few weeks ago.

BC is never the only thing you look at when choosing a bullet, nor it is the first thing you look at. First is grouping.. how does any bullet group out of your rifle with your load. When you have two or three bullets that group about the same, with the same velocity. the BC should certainly be A deciding factor.

I don't think you can shoot an animal "more dead". Seems like the bullet you currently use works pretty
good.

One more thought. In all my experience with elk... I can only think of three elk that I've personally taken or seen taken where the elk traveled less than 20 yds. I have taken several Elk with calibers ranging from a 7-08 up to a .325WSM. And have watched my father take a couple elk with a .338WM. There is no caliber/bullet combination that will guarantee you drop to the shot performance with an elk with a traditional shot placement (on or just behind the front shoulder). A Dead Elk is a Dead Elk; and I will say, an Elk that runs 20 yds isn't a bad thing. I am happy to see an elk fall within 50-75yds. If a situation presents itself where an elk Must drop within 20 yds, the rifle in your hand doesn't really matter; what matters is putting the slug in such a place that it will be quickly fatal, and disable movement.

From a pure physics standpoint, if a bullet passes clean through an animal, it has not expended all its energy on the animal. Period.

Vodoo aside, if you are inclined to tinker, I have had great results from TTSX out of my .270. I have only killed three animals with it; Lope, 8pt Whitetail and a cow elk. Furthest shot was offhand at 120yds at the whitetail. The hit was not good....too far back. However, 2/3 dropped at the shot including the buck. Cow ran 50yds and piled up. Found the bullet against the hide on the far side. The bullet retained almost all of its mass, although I didnt weigh to verify.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 2,104
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back