26 nosler optics

Redneck306

Hello everyone.

I just bought a like new browning xbolt chambered in 26 nosler. I want to put an appropriate scope on it for hunting antelope in Wyoming. I have always used nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 for my rifles but I am seeing there are so many different and more options available that I became over whelmed in deciding. I think I want a focus knob on the side and I would like to be able to turn the scope adjustments to account for wind and distance. I appreciate any help you have to offer.
Thanks

I have a X bolt pro in .28 Nosler. I have a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14 x50 CDS ZL. I have 2 of them on two different guns. Great scope. Now they make it in the HD version. What ever scope you buy get a hold of Schmalts here in this forum to save money and support a fellow hunter.

I have a X bolt pro in .28 Nosler. I have a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14 x50 CDS ZL. I have 2 of them on two different guns. Great scope. Now they make it in the HD version. What ever scope you buy get a hold of Schmalts here in this forum to save money and support a fellow hunter.
What does Schmalts do?

What does Schmalts do?
He's a forum sponsor that deals in optics...use the search function and shoot him a message.

Nikon stopped making "sporting" optics so the few that are out there still are the last.

The VX3HD 4.5-14 will suit you just fine for your needs. Spend some time trying to understand ballistics of your rifle by actually shooting out to whatever distance you plan before getting the CDS dial made. Then take the information you learned at the range and call Leupold. They'll make you a CDS dial to match

He's a forum sponsor that deals in optics...use the search function and shoot him a message.

Nikon stopped making "sporting" optics so the few that are out there still are the last.

The VX3HD 4.5-14 will suit you just fine for your needs. Spend some time trying to understand ballistics of your rifle by actually shooting out to whatever distance you plan before getting the CDS dial made. Then take the information you learned at the range and call Leupold. They'll make you a CDS dial to match
This!. Yes Leupold will make the CDS for free. You need to know which round ( Ballistic coefficient), Altitude, and temp you will be shooting at and zero you want it set at.

You didn't mention budget...

Top end; I'd be putting a Nightforce FFP scope on that rifle

Middle; SWFA 3-15X42

Low end; SWFA 3-9

I don't mind spending between 500-1500 but I don't want to buy a name where another scope is just as good, ya know? My brother is a huge vortex guy, what is the concensus on those scopes? Most the time I only see luepold mentioned

That's a big range in price with that comes big differences in quality. You're going to need to research potential wants and needs.
weight
FFP, SFP
reticle? illuminated?
locking turrets?, capped turrets?, zero stop?
tube diameter (1in, 30mm, 34mm, etc)
bell diameters (40,44, 50+)

Honestly vortex is just meh until you start spending $ on those made in Japan versus the cheaper ones that are made in China. At that point you're in the lower end Nightforce price range and I'd probably pick the Nightforce. Many of the Japanese made scopes are made by the same company (LOW) for the respective brand and some will be nearly identical except for the final brand that is stamped on the scope

Personal I find myself moving away from Leupold once I start thinking about spending good money on the higher end stuff. Don't get me wrong I own 3 VX3s and am happy with all of them. Higher end Bushnell stuff (Made by LOW in Japan) has my attention and the new LRHS2 in 4.5-18 may make its way onto one of my heavier rifles.

SWFA scopes are supposed to be great for their price but are lacking some of my musts like zero stop and locking turrets or at min capped windage. Price wise they used to offer some screaming deals at random times and black friday but I don't see that happening much anymore.

Another variable is the distance you are comfortable shooting, depending on the answer, you may not need adjustable turrets.
If you are willing to go to $1500 for optics, I'd look very hard at the Nightforce already mentioned or a Swarovski Z5.

I don't mind spending between 500-1500 but I don't want to buy a name where another scope is just as good, ya know? My brother is a huge vortex guy, what is the concensus on those scopes? Most the time I only see luepold mentioned
In that price range I'd be looking at these and in this order:

wow

I am very surprised but the amount of responses i got and the quality of them. thanks alot guys! i really appreciate it!!! like I said before I only ever used the nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 I have never had a scope with a turn dial before so I dont know much about them. I would think though shooting 800 yards I would want something that zooms in more than 14? the night force scope looks bad A*#!!!! I want to shoot long distances. the problem where I live in western NY the farthest for most shots is 300 yards, I have made one 660 yard shot but that was a few years ago.

Magnification is not as important, IMO, than other attributes of the scope for shooting long range. A 9x at 800 yards makes it appear less than 100yds away...

A Zeiss Conquest V4 demo from Red Hawk Rifles would be hard to beat in my opinion.

Arent you going to tell him to shot hammers like every other person that posts anything rifle related?..
Ever shot a Hammer? And this is about scopes. OP doesn't need a Nightforce to kill antelope in Wyoming. mtmuley

Can't go wrong with Leupold. Vortex is overpriced for what you get in my opinion. Lots of better options like Trijicon (Japanese), Athlon, Meopta. Send me a PM, I have some options for you

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back