Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

26 days

What I don't understand is why he didn't try to pass this while Republicans controlled the House. Why wait until now, other than to set up for a fight and create a distraction. If there's an explanation I'm missing, I would be open to learning. I try to understand US politics, but some stuff just seems illogical.

Meanwhile in Canada we're working on our privacy hedge along the border to protect us until the nonsense to the south is over with.

He never had 60 votes to get past filibuster in the Senate. For just about everything but appointment confirmation, you need to first vote to close debate (which takes 60 votes), before you can vote the matter up or down under a simple majority.

How do you figure you don't?

JFC, what the average person gets in services compared to what they pay in taxes...is well worth every penny. What I pay in taxes, which is significantly more than 15k, is worth it just to have a highway and interstate system that allows me to drive 65-80 MPH everywhere I go. I like being able to drive from my house in Laramie to Tucson AZ to hunt coues deer and not have it take a week traveling on gravel roads the whole way.

News Flash, running a city, county, state and federal governments costs money...you need employees to run all of it. For the record, I don't expect those employees to work for free.

And the next time you complain about the defense budget be thankful you can drive those roads without military checkpoints...

And news flash running any business takes money. How many of them roads were built by private industry on an inflated government PO? Or should I say Change Ordrs? The VA hospital here in my backyard is a prime example. What a disservice to veterans...

Are you responsible for P&L in your job?

You need to get over being critical of government spending. There’s a huge difference between that and government bashing.

He never had 60 votes to get past filibuster in the Senate. For just about everything but appointment confirmation, you need to first vote to close debate (which takes 60 votes), before you can vote the matter up or down under a simple majority.

Interesting, thank you. I did not know that detail of the workings.

Interesting, thank you. I did not know that detail of the workings.

Used to be the case with confirmations as well, but Harry Reed blew that up for some Obama appointees. Probably wishes he had a do-over on that for the Trump SCOTUS appointees. (but eventually one of the parties was going to do it, it's a vestige from protecting slavery pre-civil war and segregation post-civil war - it should be dumped for all matters in my opinion)

I have a few questions to just satisfy my own curiosity, and to figure out if there are advantages to working for the federal government versus the state or local government, especially in service type jobs like mine (water treatment and reclamation)

What kind of retirement? For my local government job here, I pay in to Ohio Public Employees retirement and will be eligible to retire with 32 years service, and drawing 87% of my salary based off of the final 3 years of service. I can work an additional 5 years and draw somewhere around 93%. I've always heard fed employees can retire super early. Any truth to this? I'm truly ignorant on how it all works for the feds.

Also, I get 11 holidays, several gift days (Friday after Thanksgiving, birthday, a fair day for local fair, xmas eve), employees start out with 2 weeks vacation progressing to 5 weeks by year 15, we can build comp time in lieu of overtime, health insurance is fully paid, 20 dollars copay or you can take a $5000 per year insurance buyout if your spouse's insurance covers you.......and no shutdowns.

I looked at a job with the DOI taking care of the water and sewer systems for Yellowstone and it paid no where near what I make at my current job.

With all that being said, I'm just curious as to any advantage I may be overlooking. I'm feeling for you all. I hope the politicians can all put on their big boy pants and get this resolved.

The world is going to end in 12 years says AOC. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...casio-cortez-climate-change-alarm/2642481002/
No need for retirement plans and new highways, walls, and bridges.;)

LOL, good point

If any of you watched the Bush memorial service, I liked the part of the Simpson ( WY ) speech when he said . When someone in Wash D.C. does the right thing for the country, regardless of how it affects them personally, you are traveling down a road where you are not bothered with heavy traffic.

Wow what a thread . Personally I hate this shut down I know what its like to get screwed on your paycheck or furloughed . I am a state worker in this hell hole known as California trust me I know what it means to be shafted and I really feel for the regular folks working for the feds barely making it during this shutdown.
I also know just how impossibly hard it is to save for a rainy day every time I have some coin saved up something catastrophic happens around the house a vehicle needs a new transmission or a major appliance takes a crap etc etc .We can all armchair quarterback all we want but the truth is we don't know everyone's struggles so I find it really unfair to make comments about saving money when there is not much money to save after living expenses . Its also tough to save money when your kids have wants and needs and you are trying very hard to make sure they don't feel like they are missing out .
But with that said I am also for FINISHING the border barrier. If you take a little time to see what Trump is asking for its a small drop in the bucket of the fed budget. The amount of money the fed spends on nonsense is mind blowing. Then to think of the foreign aid money or what ever you wanna call it goingto other country's is even more ridiculous.
It really does seem like everyone was on the same page about border security until Trump ran his campaign on it and then they decided they will fight all or trumps ideas tooth and nail. Finishing the barrier and cracking down on illegal immigration is a must . Anyway that's my .02 cents worth I'm sure someone here will tell me I'm stupid but what ever lol

Last edited:
I would like to impeach Drumpf and the Wicked Witch of the West and try again. I don't see any way out with those two idiots calling the shots.

My sympathies for all those who aren't getting paid. I can't imagine how it must feel.

Resist-Insist-Persist-Enlist...but I digress. This is about both fringe bases being mollified. If you think your side has the high ground you are being disingenuous...there is no high ground.

great, that makes planning for retirement SO much easier.

...the world ends in twelve years as per AOC

Resist-Insist-Persist-Enlist...but I digress. This is about both fringe bases being mollified. If you think your side has the high ground you are being disingenuous...there is no high ground.

...the world ends in twelve years as per AOC

Best thought I've read in a while.

I'm for putting Kevin, Mitch, Nancy, Chuck, and Donald in a roomfor a day and if they can't come to an agreement, we put them all on permanent furlough, and get the next 5 inline to try it again.:D

I’ve been thinking about a couple bills:
1) Need a bill passed to prohibit contract abuse from fake shutdowns where people are forced to work with no pay. If you don’t fund it then it gets shut down until it does. If you don’t fund the Coast Guard then you tread water until you do. Get the grown ups in the room!

2) If a budget cannot be negotiated by the legislators then Automatic funding of the budget at the end of the fiscal year at a reduced amount based on a 5 year average designed to head toward a balanced budget some day, since they have proved they won’t do it on their own.

I’ve been thinking about a couple bills:
1) Need a bill passed to prohibit contract abuse from fake shutdowns where people are forced to work with no pay. If you don’t fund it then it gets shut down until it does. If you don’t fund the Coast Guard then you tread water until you do. Get the grown ups in the room!

2) If a budget cannot be negotiated by the legislators then Automatic funding of the budget at the end of the fiscal year at a reduced amount based on a 5 year average designed to head toward a balanced budget some day, since they have proved they won’t do it on their own.

Two good ideas. The problem is neither of them provide the platform for pandering to your most extreme and vocal party wing. What happens in DC is not about effective government, it is about pandering, grandstanding and agitating to ensure donations and votes in 18 months. Both parties do it and it is disheartening.

Two good ideas. The problem is neither of them provide the platform for pandering to your most extreme and vocal party wing. What happens in DC is not about effective government, it is about pandering, grandstanding and agitating to ensure donations and votes in 18 months. Both parties do it and it is disheartening.

Elected officials are simply string puppets of the lobbyist.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back