Caribou Gear Tarp

257 weatherby magnum good bad and ugly

I would've bought one quite a while ago if they made the vanguards with a 26" barrel. For 95% of my hunting I think it'd do a way better job than a big magnum.

This was really my only concern but everything I've been reading is the 24" doesn't really hinder the round to much at all

Didn't Roy Weatherby try to prove the round and the rifle by shooting a Cape Buffalo with one and killing it with one shot to the chest? Seems there was this story....

...and if you are going to save your brass, why resell it? Reload it and shoot more..

Nice buy,I love mine. The ammo cost is a bit steep if you don't reload, but if you just sight in and hunt with it a few times a year, two boxes should last a while.

I love the 110gr accubond load, I've shot two deer at 50yds with that load. It's amazing how well the bullet holds together and penetrates at 3400fps.

Oh I've jumped in both feet already and ordered dies and bought some 115 partitions already.... I wanted the accubonds but they're out of stock nation wide. I figure I want to shoot it enough to be comfortable on deer out to 500 and just shooting a few shells a year isn't the way to do it

I had the same problem with finding 115 accubods so i went with the partitions as well, they sure seem to kill well too.

I had the same problem with finding 115 accubods so i went with the partitions as well, they sure seem to kill well too.

Awesome I'm really glad to hear that I just got the brass and dies today so it's time to start working up a load .... If you're by chance using h1000 and want to share a good load I'm all ears :)

picture.php
[/IMG]

Shot this one this morning. 71gr h-1000, 3.24" OAL 115 gr Partition

I just got the same gun. I won it on a gear give away with another forum. Weatherby just sent my free brass today as part of the Grand prize as well. I called nosler the other day about the 110 accubonds. They said they will start production in late June for the 257 weatherby magnum. I just picked up a new scope as well. I got the vortex viper 30mm 6-24×50. It is probably over kill on the scope but it is lite for its size and I got it for 200 dollars off. What rings did you order? Congrats on the knew gun.

I haven't worked with the Partitions at all. If you get a hold of the 110gr Accbonds mine likes 73.5 grains of H1000, Fed large rifle magnum primer or match version (215s I think), COL of 3.24"

My supply of H1000 is dwindling and I haven't seen it on the shelves for over a year. I'm going to give Magpro a shot.

don't over look the hornady interbond 110's, they seem to hold up better than the accubonds anyways in the speeds my 257 produces and they are cheaper. when midway/midsouth gets blems watch for them and buy a bunch, I probably got 3-400 left. i have developed a 120 partition load for my elk backup and found good not great accuracy with h1000. never used this place but they have some in stock: http://www.ammo-reloading.com/257-Hornady-110gr-Interbond-25419-H25419.htm

good luck with your load development..
chris

Awesome thanks guys I just got the scope mounted tonight and should be working on some break in and rough sighting in loads this week I hope.

@Coyote I'm I went with the standard leupolds rings and bases I ordered low and medium height and was able to get away with the low ... I'm using a Nikon buckmaster 4.5-14x40 side focus with bdc reticle. I had the scope in the safe and really wish it didn't have the bdc for this particular caliber because there's no way the marks are going to match up. it's ok though I didn't need to go buy a new one lol

You will have just as good of results with the Partition as with the Ab, most likely. My rifles all shoot the Partitions real well. Shooters Pro Shop has them for cheap right now.

Very cool thanks for the pic.... 800 rounds to me would be lots of years I think but who know if I really start liking the round I may shoot the crap out of it.

I've been Working up some base loads for rough sighting in and if the weather ever breaks I'll go give her hell

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back