25-06 owners

G

Guest member 25165

I will be picking up a Browning X-bolt stainless stalker in 25-06 tonight. For those of you who own a 25-06, was your gun finicky about ammo and what kind of accuracy were you getting? What bullet did it prefer? Just curious. Thanks for your time.

I have a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 (re-branded Howa 1500) in 25-06. It shoots sub-MOA with 100gn TTSX bullets. Haven't tried anything else.

Tikka T3X I bought 5 different brands when I first got it and settled on Hornady 117gr SST's they shot great, but have since switched to the Barnes TTSX 100gr and they shoot just as well, 1" or less at 100.

I had an inexpensive Marlin X7 (I think) 25-06 that shot 115GR Nosler Partitions fairly well (1.25" group / 100 yards) My buddy has a 25-06 that shoots 100 GR Core-Lokt bullets really well.

I have a Rem 700 in 25-06 that shoot's 100gr Hornadys light's out, amazing gun. But those 100gr bullet's come out a bit over 3300fps and you really don't want to hit anything you might like to eat with it. In fact don't even get close. My hunting load in this rifle for a long time was the 117gr Hornady interlock. At 3079fps it did not tear up anywhere near as much as the 100gr did. Matter of fact, if I could have found 120gr Speer Hot, core's I'd probably have gone with them. As for accuracy, no the 117gr bullet's don't out shoot the 100gr in my rifle but it still keep's groups down around 3/4" and that is not to shabby for a hunting rifle!

I have a Browning A-bolt that is going on 25 years old and groups have opened to the point its gonna get a new barrel. For the first 20 years it would put just about anything in to tiny little groups.

I have a Browning A-bolt that is going on 25 years old and groups have opened to the point its gonna get a new barrel. For the first 20 years it would put just about anything in to tiny little groups.
Any idea approximately how many rounds have been through that barrel in those 25 years?

I have a Howa 1500 in 25-06, my most accurate rifle. I get my best groups out of 100gr TTSX but also shot 110gr ELDXs pretty good.

I will be picking up a Browning X-bolt stainless stalker in 25-06 tonight. For those of you who own a 25-06, was your gun finicky about ammo and what kind of accuracy were you getting? What bullet did it prefer? Just curious. Thanks for your time.
100 grs have worked best for me. Federals, barnes, and hand loads all do well. I'm running a tikka.

Weatherby Vanguard 2 in 25-06. Of the ammo I have shot Federal Trophy Copper 100gr and Hornady American Whitetail Interlock 117gr both have shot well in it.

Shot like absolute crap. I decided that it’s because it was an A-bolt. There are a few things I wish I had tried, before I gave up on it, BUT I’ll never regret the ability to use .264” bullets over .257”.

Check your twist. A 10” twist can leave you scratching your head with some of the heavier hunting bullets.

Watch your loaded neck diameter if forming from a different case.

Last edited:
I have a Rem 700 .25-06 and it shoots MOA or better Barnes 100 grain TTSX factory loads. The only other load I tried was the 115 grain Nosler Partition (loaded by Federal I think). Gun didnt like those at all.

Mine shoots <1” groups with 110-120 grain bullets. I love the on game performance of the 110 grain Accubonds.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back