Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

25-06 owners

Cleaning after every range session is probably part of the problem. Over cleaning especially without a coated rod and bore guide does a lot more damage than good.
You could try to run a few patches with some JB bore paste/kroil and then use a better solvent like boretech eliminator/ boretech copper cleaner. It might help it might not but it’s inexpensive to try it.
If not nothing wrong with a nice new rebarrel.
Yeah. I use fiberglass rods with bore guide and went the kroil route too. Dropped off at Shaw this afternoon for a new tube.

Yeah. I use fiberglass rods with bore guide and went the kroil route too. Dropped off at Shaw this afternoon for a new tube.

Sounds like you have tried everything else. A new tube will be fun no doubt!
Did you go with a faster twist rate? Factory contour?

When I did own a 25-06, it wouldn't shoot anything accurate with the exception of Sierra Pro Hunter flat base bullets.

My browning x bolt 25-06 likes the 100 gr ttsx and 110 accubonds the best. I've shot the 120 fusions out of it and they've worked great on deer and antelope as well.

I'm going to try some 100 grain Barnes TTSX soon in mine. Got Reloder 19, Reloder 22, Reloder 23, N165, IMR4955 all loaded up and ready to try.

One thing all 5 of those powders have in common is that they all have a copper fouling reducer added to them.

Last edited:
Shot like absolute crap. I decided that it’s because it was an A-bolt. There are a few things I wish I had tried, before I gave up on it, BUT I’ll never regret the ability to use .264” bullets over .257”.

Check your twist. A 10” twist can leave you scratching your head with some of the heavier hunting bullets.

Watch your loaded neck diameter if forming from a different case.
Really? Interesting. Three a bolts all completely stock 7 mag is 1" moa with factory ammo the .204 and .22-250 are less than 1/2" with factory ammo. Ymmv I suppose

Three cheers. Someone shoots an older school bullet like myself.
Never felt the need to change.
I'm not sure why people change from what has worked for them for a long time. Then again, I'm old and no counting for the way I think maybe. Been using Hornady bullet's in everything since they were called Spire Point's, late 60's early 70's. I think lot of people change looking for the perfect product, I don't think it exists other than in the mind's of people. I did stray away from Hornady a bit last year, got some 140gr Speer Hot Cores for my 6.5x55. Used 160gr Hot Cores many years ago in a 7mm Rem Mag and great results! Have looked around for Speer 120 gr Hot Cores for my 25-06, just figured it is time to change something!

Really? Interesting. Three a bolts all completely stock 7 mag is 1" moa with factory ammo the .204 and .22-250 are less than 1/2" with factory ammo. Ymmv I suppose
Well...I consider 1MOA to be disappointing. I have not shot factory loaded ammo through a rifle that was not a rim fire in about thirty years.

The action was slick, the rifle was light, the balance was good, I kinda like the mag box, and after replacing the trigger return spring the trigger was usable. There were a few things I could have messed with that may have been holding it back, but I was more in the mood to move on, and don’t regret it.

Well...I consider 1MOA to be disappointing. I have not shot factory loaded ammo through a rifle that was not a rim fire in about thirty years.

The action was slick, the rifle was light, the balance was good, I kinda like the mag box, and after replacing the trigger return spring the trigger was usable. There were a few things I could have messed with that may have been holding it back, but I was more in the mood to move on, and don’t regret it.
Do you consider 1 moa disappointing with core lokt or winchester power point? Out of a rifle that about $500 to $700 that has never been touched?

Well...I consider 1MOA to be disappointing.
Do you consider 1 moa disappointing with core lokt or winchester power point? Out of a rifle that about $500 to $700 that has never been touched?
Well...I'm not a bench shooting master. But, I think 1MOA out of mass produced rifles shooting mass produced ammo is pretty darn good! (y)

I've spent a lot of time, money and burned up components shrinking groups that were perfectly acceptable for hunting. I'm smarter now. mtmuley
I know right, all the time and money I spend trying to over improve things. Then I take a new family member or friend out. They ask what should i get? I usually tell em pick up a rem 700 and some core-lokt's you'll be good to go. Meanwhile I'm dropping a fortune on shit that really doesnt matter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back