Yeti GOBOX Collection

.25-06 enough gun for elk?

Main Beam

Is the .25-06 enough gun for elk? I've heard some good things about this caliber, but opinions seem mixed on whether it can reliably put elk down effectively and humanely. I have two young teenagers who will be hunting elk this year and I'm looking for a gun with low recoil. I'm apprehensive of starting them with a bigger gun that may cause them to pick up bad shooting habits.

Heck yes, with the premium bullets that are available to today's hunter the 25-06 is plenty of gun! You're on the right track by starting them with a low recoil rifle.

You're on the right track by starting them with a low recoil rifle.

Agreed. I'd rather have them shoot well with a smaller caliber rifle than poorly with a larger rifle with more recoil. My first big game rifle was 300 Win Mag, given to me for my 14th birthday. Needless to say, it took me a couple of years to learn how to shoot it without flinching.

Not much experience with 25-06 on elk but I started my girls with a 7-08 as young as 10 and my 13 y/o put down a moose with it this past season.

A 7mm-08 might be better depending on how you load that 25-06. It is based on a 30-06 case so that's a lot of powder for kids. Caliber wise it would be fine for elk. Practice shot placement.

Ahhhhh, if any of you are more than 45 yrs old you will remember when the Experts scoffed at anything less than a 270 w/ 150gr bullets. An Ought 6 was considered adequate, but a 338WM was just about right !

Bullets are better now, so is out of box rifle accuracy. If you can shoot a 25/06 with confidence (and use a well constructed bullet).......Hell, Go for it.

A 7mm-08 might be better depending on how you load that 25-06. It is based on a 30-06 case so that's a lot of powder for kids. Caliber wise it would be fine for elk. Practice shot placement.

I like the 6.5 Creedmoor better than the .25-06 as far as a youth gun goes.

Elk are big critters and the ability to put more than one shot into an elk with any gun is a good skill to have.

I would buy a .308 and shoot reduced recoil loads. Then when the kids get older you can just change loads instead of changing guns.

I would not hesitate. A Nosler 120 gr. Partition or 110 gr. Accubond would work. I killed a spike bull at about 350 yards with the Partition, another young man used it on a nice cow at 250 yards.

One shot 250 yards by the lad in the middle. 25-06 120 gr. Partition.

My son has been putting down elk with 25-06 since he was old enough to hunt. Lots of deer and antelope too. He is 23 now. Never had a problem with the caliber or the factory ammo we use. I did just pass on to him a Howa 308 which he will start to use as well.

Get a short action .260, 7-08, etc. etc. The 25-06 will do it, but the others will, too, in a shorter package and heavier bullets. If you use it, go with quality 120-grain bullets.

I personally would not buy one, with the other options available.

Last edited:
I took a 340 class Wyoming bull with a 257 Weatherby and 115 Barnes Bullet. It did not have any issues at all. As a caveat...I did feel under-gunned and have since bought a 300 WSM. Not sure why I felt the need for a bigger rifle, the 115 Barnes was a complete pass through and the elk was DRT.

It's all about bullet placement. Thunder never killed anything but it sure will clear out the drainage and send them into the next. But there are those who just like getting mule kicked.

Back