243 w/ 55grn or 58grn bullets - 4000fps?

ELKCHASER

Anyone using 55 grain ballistic tips or 58 grain Vmax and getting over 4000fps? If so, how is the accuracy? and do you mind sharing load info?

Thanks

Shoot straight!

------------------

[This message has been edited by ELKCHASER (edited 02-25-2001).]

I got a freind thats shooting 55 grain out of his .243 they dont give good accuracy. these were special made berger bullets. But we think it has alot to do with the twist rate.
I bet danr55 has tried them. But if you suffer accuracy problems I bet if you had a tighter twist it would shoot dead nuts.

Delw

Elkchaser the problem isnt gettin them to 4000 it is gettin Ballistic tips to hold together up to that point

------------------
If there isn't any dogs in heaven .....IAINT GOIN

Better off going with something more along the lines of a 70 - 85 grain? Primary purpose would be yotes and rock chucks.

Shoot straight!

------------------

Elkchaser, I tried the 55gr. in my 243 and had no problem with the 4000fps, but the accuracy was so bad at even 3700fps, that I gave up on them. I get much better accuracy with the 70gr even at 3700+fps than with the 55's. The other guys are probably right, the twist in the barrel may make it or break it for accuracy.Just my experience.WD.
smile.gif

55gr BT

Hi I reload and shoot the 55gr BT and love them. My rifle is a ruger target varmint that has alot of custom work done to it. It has a 1in 9 twist and shoots a load of H380 above the 4100 barrier in a .2 inch group. I have shot coyotes at ranges beyond 500 yards and as close as 10. I also call alot. I have shot alot of bobcats with this load and am very pleased with the results I have not had any significant pelt damage. Hope this helps. HAPPY HUNTING

welcome to Hunttalk ruger...did you happen to notice the date on Elkchaser's post?

Hey funny me I should have looked a little closer. OH well. I just stopped in to check. Does anybody have any experience with berger bullets. I am going to try the 68gr MEF in my .243. I love this rifle and all of the people that I have talked to say that the berger bullets are the most accurate.

no problemo ruger...there's some sharp guys on here that will notice your post and weigh in eventually
again...welcome, wasn't trying to make you uncomfortable

Hey you didn't I should have looked. I do alot of coyote and bobcat calling in Nebraska. I really enjoy the outdoors. I am finding that there isn't much reloading data for the berger bullets. I am going to use the hornady 70gr load and work up a few different ones to see. Hope to catch you on later.

elkchaser-I've had zero none notta problems in making the 55 NBT shoot. I've used it a very little out of the 243. But, I've used it a ton lot out of the 6/06 at speeds of 4000-4400.

Accuracy has been excellent out of both the 10 and the 12 twist tubes.

They've worked very well for yotes and have been one of my go to bullets when I am trying to keep pelt damage to a minimum.

When I am not I use either the 75 V-Max or the 70 NBT and both will make a hole in a yote big enough to pull a cat thru.

Mato

Back