Blemished bullets/ Factory Seconds

coleslaw

I found a particular bullet that one of my rifles seems to favor and haven't worked up a specific load yet, but am wondering what the experiences are as far as using factory seconds, blemished or pulled bullets. I'm asking because at one time, the particular bullets (140gr Trophy Bonded Tips in .270) were impossible to find as standalone component bullets. I did find some on gunbroker being sold as "pulled bullets" and ended up with a bag of about 250 of them. I ended up paying about .25/ round, so the cost wasn't a big deal when the actual component bullets are twice that if you can find them. (Brownells just stocked some)
Anyways, the bullets seem fine, just some minor scuffs here and there. I think the biggest "deformation" I have found is that the polymer tips are kind of bent looking or slightly "smushed" on about half of the bullets which I'm guessing is from being pulled with a kinetic device.
I haven't gotten around to them beyond a visual inspection yet; I will do a roll/ spin test, measure and weigh them and sort from there so I'm hoping I can really get them dialed in. I shoot out to 500 yds, so accuracy is important.
Anybody else have good or bad results from pulled bullets? Would you trust them, even after decent results?

Ive not had seconds of the TBT but Ive loaded and shot seconds of sierra spizter in my 204 and really couldn't tell a difference. But for long range shooting and hunting I wouldn't chance that one bullet "might" mess up and not fly right. Just my 2 cents

I agree with Assawomangunsmith!
For practice, less expensive is better, IF it gets you to the range and shooting more!

I wouldn't trust pulled bullets on a hunt!

And welcome to the forum, Assawomangunsmith!!

I agree with Assawomangunsmith!
For practice, less expensive is better, IF it gets you to the range and shooting more!

I wouldn't trust pulled bullets on a hunt!

And welcome to the forum, Assawomangunsmith!!

If you look them over carefully so that your only blemish is a stain they should be ok.

blems

No comment on the pulled bullets...but I haven't shot anything but factory seconds/blems for the last 15 years. Have had no trouble, near or far.

I only buy Nosler bullets and 99.9% of them come from Shootersproshop.com. I've had zero issues with them.

There is no difference between a nosler 1st and a blemish bullet other than visual, and I doubt anybody here can see it. Anything other than visual gets pulled immediately for liability purposes.

Very true, all.
But Coleslaw is talking about bullets that were loaded, then pulled out (likely by a kinetic puller) and then sold.

If it were a "blem" or "factory second" from Nosler, i'd say ok. As was said, these are usually only slightly visually blemished. Slight enough that you probably can't really see the blem.

No way i'm shooting at an animal when the bullet tip is bent!

I have a rifle that really shoots TBT's well. Never shot an animal with them, but I hope to do so soon.

Anyway, I'd probably be a little hesitant to try to shoot those very far with the tips damaged like that. I understand the tips on the TBT's do not "melt off" in flight and part of the design is they're there to make the bullet a little more aerodynamic. If they're dinged up and off center, they'll likely not perform as designed. But I'm no expert, might not be enough to notice.

I'll still do an inspection on each bullet, but likely downgrade to practice rounds. With some of the tips being deformed, I'm thinking they were all loaded at one point, but did not pass QC as a final product/ loaded cartridge from the factory either due to COAL or weight being out of spec. Hard to say what exactly so I'm not too worried about the bullets themselves. But, you guys are right- not sure I'd totally 100% trust them on an animal, especially if it's at the upper end of my range limit. Plus, a bit more of a warm and fuzzy feeling helps when you are about to pull the trigger. I'd hate to be the kind of guy that "blames the bullet" 😬
Wouldn't hurt to buy the component bullets as long as brownell's has them in stock yet.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back