243 short brass problem?!

jbowlin

I have some once fired Winchester brass for my dads .243, when I measured it after de-priming and sizing it is coming in at 2.017-2.025. Specs say that trimmed brass should be at 2.035 and max is 2.045, so my question is should I pitch the short brass or is it safe to shoot? And how the heck does once fired factory ammo from Winchester come out that short? As a side note, I was also sizing and de-priming some Remington brass and all of it came out within specs or a little long (to be trimmed soon).

I have some once fired Winchester brass for my dads .243, when I measured it after de-priming and sizing it is coming in at 2.017-2.025. Specs say that trimmed brass should be at 2.035 and max is 2.045, so my question is should I pitch the short brass or is it safe to shoot? And how the heck does once fired factory ammo from Winchester come out that short? As a side note, I was also sizing and de-priming some Remington brass and all of it came out within specs or a little long (to be trimmed soon).

I'd posit that Winchester trimmed it short, but deemed it not a problem so you shouldn't either. Unless you know for a fact that it's once-fired factory then someone else could have done it. Contact Winchester with the lot number and see what they say.

Almost all brass starts short and grows as it’s fired and resized. This is why you should measure after every sizing and trim when needed.
Your brass is fine. I’d load it and like stated keep it separate from the Rem brass.
Yes, I always measure and make loads with all the same brass, the cleaning and sizing was done in one setting and I guess more than anything I was puzzled as to why it would be so short. I've never had brass shorter than trim specs call for and wasn't sure if it may cause any pressure issues or anything like that. Thank you all for the input, I appreciate it!!

I wouldn't worry about it. But I use a Lee collet die to resize 243. If I had that stuff I'd resize in my standard RCBS die till the necks pulled out. The biggest cause of neck stretching I found is the expander plug in a FL sizing die.

I wouldn't worry about it. But I use a Lee collet die to resize 243. If I had that stuff I'd resize in my standard RCBS die till the necks pulled out. The biggest cause of neck stretching I found is the expander plug in a FL sizing die.

Lube your necks on the inside with resizing wax. I took a case once and ran it in and out of a sizing die numerous times and it didn't grow squat as I recall.

I am getting ready to start loading for my Tikka 260 rem and bought a box of Nosler and Hornady brass. The Nosler is almost all around 2.011-2.017 and the Hornady is all between 2.014-2.019. Trim length 2.035 threw me off as well but I'm just gonna shoot em and let em stretch. My Tikka mag will only allow 2.8 anyhow...

Lube your necks on the inside with resizing wax. I took a case once and ran it in and out of a sizing die numerous times and it didn't grow squat as I recall.

I do. The Hornady wax. Put it in with a tooth pic and it did slow don stretch a bit but they still stretched some.

I use Winchester brass pretty much exclusively. I've gotten a couple of bags of brand new brass that had quite a few shorties. I've had that trouble only with .308 so I've kinda wondered (I also load 7mm08 and .270 - no short new brass in those). Some are close enough not to worry about but there are others I've set aside and just use them for fouling loads. It is a strange thing though, you'd think they'd come from the factory a little long if anything.

I do. The Hornady wax. Put it in with a tooth pic and it did slow don stretch a bit but they still stretched some.

I use imperial wax on a Q tip if I lube the necks. OTOH my 6.5-06 AI cases will be junk before they ever grow long enough to trim.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back