240 Weatherby, 6mm Creed

Europe

I have a 16 year old great grandson who has asked for one of the above.

He has been using his fathers 243 and wants a 6mm, but does not want that rifle. He was also offered his great grandfathers 244 H & H but he wants something newer, like the ones mentioned above. ( for laughs he doesn't want a 6mm Rem, sorry David--a 244 H & H or a 243 because they are all to old) I tried to tell him that the 244 H & H might have more punch down field than the creed, although I dont know that and it dont matter, he wants something new

I have never owned a , 240 Weatherby, or 6mm Creed. Are these 12 -one and a dozen, another or are there differences worth considering. Not talking about the rifle manufacturer, just the caliber, although I think to get a 240 Weatherby you might need to buy their rifle, if it is not custom ?

They will reload, it is for hunting, and I will probably buy a new one, after deciding upon the caliber. His father is leaning toward the 6mm creed--simply because it is the "new" mousetrap on the market

To my great granddaughters credit, when she found out he did not want the 244 H & H, she said she would take it, even if she never hunted with it, love that girl ;)

The 24 Nosler is only used in an AR15 platform, is that correct ? AND, if not--more info please

A 240 Weatherby will drop most anything up to an elk. In a pinch, it’ll work for that too.
The 240 is tried and true. I was torn between it or a 257, then got a great deal on a 257. Maybe one day.

Are these 12 -one and a dozen, another or are there differences worth considering.
Nope, the Weatherby is a magnum cartridge that will push the same 100 grain bullet 400+ fps faster than the Creedmoor. On the other hand, the Creedmoor will likely have many more factory ammo options in a few years and will be very low recoil.

Thanks guys. I wanted to make sure I hadn't developed an old persons resistance to new ideas. i.e. The creed.

I have a 257 Weatherby and loved it on Coues hunts. But have not hunted with a 240 and therefore appreciate the comments, thank you.

I had not looked at the ballistics of the 244 H & H in years, but it looks like as hard as they try to reinvent the wheel, some "old" things still look pretty good

Vikingsguy, elkhnter, D4570. Thank you for taking the time to respond and for the guidance. I am sure he will enjoy the 240 Weatherby

If they are going to reload, I would try and talk him into a 6-284, if not the 240 would get the nod
I have a 6.5x284 which i used for the firs time a year ago September in Tanzania taking eight head of plains game including bush pig and a monster Sable. All eight were one shot kills, taking four with Swift A Frame and four with Berger, both brands were 140 grains.

midwest hunter and happy myle I felt a 6.5 would be a better choice than a 6 for his first hunting rifle. But he wants a 6

If we went to the 6.5, it would have been hard for me not to suggest the Swede. But Weatherby, Nosler and Norma offer some barn burner 6.5 calibers , not to mention rifle barrels(-;.

Happy myle, congratulations on your hunt, very nicely done

Damascussteel. thank you

I haven’t owned or even shot either cartridge, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express so I will share my 2 cents.

In factory rifles, I think the 240 Weatherby is handicapped by a relatively slow twist (1:10”) that would prevent even a handloader from taking advantage of the new long, sleek 6mm bullets that are available nowadays. Many of the offerings in 6mm Creedmoor appear to be geared towards the longrange crowd with twists around 1-7-5”. Those fast twists also let you use the heavier mono bullets (or the 103 gr Hornady ELD-X) which, I believe, would increase its versatility for big game.

If the 240 Weatherby had the same faster twist, or if I were going the custom route where I could choose a faster twist, I would pick the Weatherby for the additional speed. FYI — My daughter has a 243 so I do have a little experience with the bore size. Even though her rifle has a 1-9” twist, I wish it were faster.

Europe,

The 6mm Creedmoor is just an offspring of the 6.5 Creedmoor.
The parent case is the 30TC. The original intent with the 6.5 was to have a shorter case than the 260 Rem so that long, heavy match bullets did not intrude into the powder space as much when seated to fit an AR length magazine.
As such if your looking at an AR type rifle, the Creedmoor line makes sense.
But with the lost case capacity, when using a bolt action rifle, the original 260 Rem (243 Win) takes over, especially at distance.

If your grandson is set on a 6mm/243 cartridge, my pick would be the Weatherby.

If he's looking to extend his hunting distance, a 7mm would be an excellent choice. The heavier bullet with decent ballistic coefficient is going to deliver more energy at distance.

Proud of the granddaughter!
Wise girl!

I looked up the 24 Nosler.
The 6.8 SPC shortened and necked to 6mm. Again to allow heavy match bullets to fit in an AR15 magazine.
Might perform well in a mini Mauser action.
I have a Savage 110 (standard length action) in 223 Rem. Whomever thought the standard length action would be good for 223, should seek professional help.

Personally, i would build a 25-45 Sharps before the 24 Nosler.

Last edited:
6mm Remington - perfect blend of accuracy and velocity. 100 gr. Partition at 3170 fps in my Ruger 1B. Taken a lot of antelope and deer in addition to one elk with that load. The 90 gr. E-tip and the 90 gr. Accubond would also be great bullets!!

How about something cool and really fast??

6mm-06 - very simple to neck down 25-06 brass to make a 6mm with even a bit more pop than the 6mm Remington. In the new Handloader magazine on the racks there is a really good article on the 6mm-06.

Some thoughts on the subject. First off I only have experience with the 243. A good friend has a 6mm-06 and it is impressive. My question is will he shoot a lot then I would lean toward the 6 cm as it will not burn the barrel up near as fast as the 240 Wby. If just a hunting rifle then by all means I would go with the 240 Wby. I found on the Weatherby web site they sell once fired brass at a $1.00 apiece so that's a option for reloading.
I'm impressed with the Weatherby's they are a class act IMHO where as the 6 cm is a fad filling a slot for target shooting where slow long bullets do very well. The same as a 6.5 cm aka man bun lol.
It sounds to me he is a hunter so I know which way I would go ;)
Dan

:)Harley, in approx 16years you will be doing this for your granddaughter and you will love it.

But today!!!

my great grandson is frustrating his old granny and it is possible I will buy him a 6.5 x 55 Sako 85 Finnlight as I know from experience that, that caliber, kills animals and that Sako makes a fairly nice rifle. If he dont like it he can give it to his twin sister, I know she would appreciate it !!

At this minute my response to his father was 'what the hell is that?" When he said he had mentioned moving up to a 6.5 after I mentioned the 6.5-06---but he thinks he now wants something called a Mark V Backcountry Ti 6.5 WBY RPM . ?? Being a Christian and a Lady I can not say what I am thinking :rolleyes: But supposedly it is new and it weighs under 5lbs.

What the hell is this obsession with light rifles. I miss John Wayne, Gary Cooper, Gregory Peck, Annie Oakley :) but I digress

Does anybody know anything about a 6.5 WBY RPM ? Not the rifle manufacturer, just the caliber ?

midwest hunter and happy myle I felt a 6.5 would be a better choice than a 6 for his first hunting rifle. But he wants a 6

If we went to the 6.5, it would have been hard for me not to suggest the Swede. But Weatherby, Nosler and Norma offer some barn burner 6.5 calibers , not to mention rifle barrels(-;.

Happy myle, congratulations on your hunt, very nicely done

Damascussteel. thank you
Europe, thank you. I am sure everyone will be happy with what ever you get. I have been a gun nut for decades causing me to use a wide variety of calibers all over the world. They all worked, some just a bit more authority than others. Kindest Regards

:)Harley, in approx 16years you will be doing this for your granddaughter and you will love it.

But today!!!

my great grandson is frustrating his old granny and it is possible I will buy him a 6.5 x 55 Sako 85 Finnlight as I know from experience that, that caliber, kills animals and that Sako makes a fairly nice rifle. If he dont like it he can give it to his twin sister, I know she would appreciate it !!

At this minute my response to his father was 'what the hell is that?" When he said he had mentioned moving up to a 6.5 after I mentioned the 6.5-06---but he thinks he now wants something called a Mark V Backcountry Ti 6.5 WBY RPM . ?? Being a Christian and a Lady I can not say what I am thinking :rolleyes: But supposedly it is new and it weighs under 5lbs.

What the hell is this obsession with light rifles. I miss John Wayne, Gary Cooper, Gregory Peck, Annie Oakley :) but I digress

Does anybody know anything about a 6.5 WBY RPM ? Not the rifle manufacturer, just the caliber ?
No belt. No double radius shoulder. A departure from traditional Weatherby design. Fits a specific action. Another cartridge to grab attention in the 6.5 arena. With today's new bullets and powders, your Grandson might be surprised at what the "old" cartridges will do. Good luck. mtmuley

But today!!!

Ti, coming up; https://weatherby.com/store/markv-backcountry-ti/

...my Dad called ordering the most expensive steak on the menu a T bone appetite.

Ooof, that's more like Porterhouse Waygu filet mignon appetite. Nice looking rifle though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Back Country is their new light weight rifle. It is a new rifle with their new cartridge 6.5 RPM. I think it surpasses the 264 Winchester Magnum in performance. The TI is the titanium action and a bit pricey. The other model is standard steel and about a pound heavier. I'm liking the steel action model. Love to get one in either the 300 Wby or 257 Wby or both lol.
The 6.5 RPM is a new design for Weatherby and the stock is also. It's a good looking rifle made in Wyoming so what's not to like.
Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back