Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

240 Weatherby, 6mm Creed

I'd do a Weatermark LT in 6.5 rpm, or a Wilderness in 240wby. If he was a frequent shooter, the former comes in 6/6.5 creedmoor, the latter 6.5 creedmoor, and there are inexpensive factory cartridges available as well as longer barrel life.

I wouldn't sneeze at a new cartridge that Weatherby brought out.
Nor Lazzeroni for that matter.
Both manufacturers are known for their cartridge performance.

As for the ultra light weight rifles, you can thank Melvin Forbes.
Whom you may want to contact also.
www.newultralightarms.com
His rifles are meant for high altitude hunting where ounces equate to pounds in a hurry.
His rifles typically range about 5.5 lbs equipped with Talley light weight rings.
And they are shooters!
With sling & Sightron 4-12X40 my Forbes 24B in 280 Rem is right around 7 lbs.
If Weatherby released the reamer/chamber specs, Melvin could probably chamber one of his rifles for the Weatherby 6.5 RPM.

This has been an education and one that makes me feel even older.

The stocks on the Forbes rifles, had to be designed by Walt Disney and I can not imagine how much my shoulder would hurt after shooting one of their Model 32 or 40, light weight rifles .

Then I headed over to Sharps as the 25-45 caliber intrigued me, but found they were only produced it in a AR 15 rifle. Another type of rifle I have never hunted with and wonder what the laws are in some states about doing so.

So, back to Weatherby, and after a long consideration and study, I still can't wrap my head around a stock that is not walnut or what animal "that" 6.5 caliber could hunt, that the Swede could not ?

Weatherby does still produce rifles WITH wood stocks and in calibers I know---240--257--270----and after all this research and help from you gentlemen, maybe the only choice he will be given is. "Do you want a 240, a 257, or a 270 ? "

AND, after thinking about it, how bad would it be to be stuck with a 270 Weatherby rifle with a walnut stock? A healthy 16 year old should be able to carry the extra 2lbs of weight for crying out load.

Gentlemen, thank you ! If nothing else you have educated me, brought a laugh or two to the discussion, as well as a steak dinner ( Harley and JLS ) ;)

mtmuley,------- brought everything back to square one for me when he reminded me of how much better bullets and powders are today. As he said, with todays bullets and powders, some of yesterdays calibers are even better today, because of these bullet and powder improvements. And IMHO, he is correct.

Except for more time required to care for his rifle, because it is wood and blue --what else am I missing ?

Thank you

Kids these days... haha. I imagine he will learn to appreciate the finer things in life at some point, and kick himself for not taking you up on the offer of that 244. A plastic furnitured 6.5CM will likely be a distant memory 10 years from now, but an heirloom?

Everyone has their own reason for owning a rifle/caliber/etc. What's best, what's not etc.

I built a 260rem twenty some years ago to replace a 243... I just knew it was the better mouse trap for killing deer/antelope... I wish I still had the 243 or had gone smaller. The 260 rarely gets used, not because it doesn't work, but because there are better options in the safe, and to be honest, I need a smaller rifle for smaller critters/predators. What does a 6.5/260 do better than a 280 when it comes to killing the same size animals? I'll wait... ;) Same could be said for the 7mags, etc, etc. Ballistic gak aside, I'm talking real world killing. Pees in a pod? I'll tell you one thing, I'm going to shoot a caribou this weekend, and between the 260 and the 280... I'm taking the later, and may even opt for the 300.

I'd love to have that H&H when I was a youngster. My dad's hunting partner packed a pre-64 M70 300H&H when we hunted elk. I dreamed of owning that rifle as a kid and still do today, but a couple dozen others have got in the way since then.

I go back and forth with the utilitarian nature of stainless/plastic and the beauty of wood/blue, they both have their place. I've noticed in recent years, maybe the last 5-7 years, that many people are opting for 1-2 rifles and spend a small fortune on them $3000+. I've said it before, but its like buying the best set of golf clubs money can buy, and expecting your handicap to drop to zero. The clubs are just one part of the equation, you still need to learn to to play. I come back full circle to appreciating the finer things, like nice looking rifles, and having many to chose from, but its also personal preference.

I was looking for something else a few days ago and ran across this link to old copies of Guns Magazine - link. I wasted about half a day thumbing through all these old issues. The adds were what really blew me away. A full bag 60 day safari in Uganda/Tanganyika for $3490 including airfare (Jonas Brothers). I'll probably spend half the winter thumbing through the rest.

Last edited:
And the decision is????

I was all set on Monday to order a new Savage target action.
Plan is to build a range/match rifle.
Checked the classifieds on another forum out of habbit.
Ended up buying a Sightron SIII 10-50X60.
Was a deal i couldn't pass up!
But now i still need a target action...

Generation gapped for sure. Just can't get my head around a kid refusing a great rifle because it's an "old" caliber. A long way from bucking bales to buy a used M 700 but such is life. Good luck with your Savage!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 16 year old great grandson who has asked for one of the above.

He has been using his fathers 243 and wants a 6mm, but does not want that rifle. He was also offered his great grandfathers 244 H & H but he wants something newer, like the ones mentioned above. ( for laughs he doesn't want a 6mm Rem, sorry David--a 244 H & H or a 243 because they are all to old) I tried to tell him that the 244 H & H might have more punch down field than the creed, although I dont know that and it dont matter, he wants something new

I have never owned a , 240 Weatherby, or 6mm Creed. Are these 12 -one and a dozen, another or are there differences worth considering. Not talking about the rifle manufacturer, just the caliber, although I think to get a 240 Weatherby you might need to buy their rifle, if it is not custom ?

They will reload, it is for hunting, and I will probably buy a new one, after deciding upon the caliber. His father is leaning toward the 6mm creed--simply because it is the "new" mousetrap on the market

To my great granddaughters credit, when she found out he did not want the 244 H & H, she said she would take it, even if she never hunted with it, love that girl ;)

The 24 Nosler is only used in an AR15 platform, is that correct ? AND, if not--more info please
I would start him with the Creed

What's a fair price to pay for an action to do a project rifle? Is the Savage Axis 110 threaded the same as a plain old model 110?
Axis actions are all long actions.
Filler in the magazine & different plastic around the trigger gaurd for short action cartridges.
Barrel thread wise is the "small thread". Same as standard bolt face. (0.473").
The short magnums, RUMS, and the target actions use the "large thread" barrels.

Unfired Axis actions are running upwards of $225. Usually less.

The target actions are trued from the factory. Also come with target Accu Trigger. I think adjustable to 4 oz.
$550 from Northland Shooters Supply.

Still deciding which of the 3 actions i want.
Right port, right bolt.
Left port, right bolt.
Dual port, right bolt.

:)Harley, in approx 16years you will be doing this for your granddaughter and you will love it.

But today!!!

my great grandson is frustrating his old granny and it is possible I will buy him a 6.5 x 55 Sako 85 Finnlight as I know from experience that, that caliber, kills animals and that Sako makes a fairly nice rifle. If he dont like it he can give it to his twin sister, I know she would appreciate it !!

At this minute my response to his father was 'what the hell is that?" When he said he had mentioned moving up to a 6.5 after I mentioned the 6.5-06---but he thinks he now wants something called a Mark V Backcountry Ti 6.5 WBY RPM . ?? Being a Christian and a Lady I can not say what I am thinking :rolleyes: But supposedly it is new and it weighs under 5lbs.

What the hell is this obsession with light rifles. I miss John Wayne, Gary Cooper, Gregory Peck, Annie Oakley :) but I digress

Does anybody know anything about a 6.5 WBY RPM ? Not the rifle manufacturer, just the caliber ?
The Weatherby RPM is essentially a 6.5-284. It is a respectable cartridge ballistically similar to 264 Winchester Magnum. My 264WM weighs 11 pounds kitted out. I am not "recoil sensitive", but I would not want to spend a range day with my loads in a 5 lb rifle.

I'm with you, April.

11 pounds is the lightest rifle a grown man should carry in the field. And the 6.5x55mm has killed everything on this planet. ;)

For my granddaughter, I sent my old Swede Mauser in for a full makeover. My sons never cared that it was just black painted metal and an orange painted stock.
Miss T is more discerning of the artistry!.

I sent the rifle to Gunsmith Ed LaPour in Bremerton,WA for a full "frame off" restoration. Annealed soft and then re-heat treated, new 1-7.5 twist 26" Kreiger. squared top for Talley rings, and new bottom metal. Finished with his signature 3 position safety with @#)(#-on-open.

The re-heat treatment will allow us to safely go a little hotter than factory 6.5x55 in our loads.

The metal is all done and the rifle is now at the stock maker for a flamed maple stock ala Winchester Supergrade M70.

My only worry now is that it seems little girls grow faster than rifles.

I would very much lean toward the 6mm CM. With handloads you should be able to hit 3100+ with 100gr+ bullets. The difference in velocity between the 6mm CM and a 240 WBY is going to be 100fps or less. Some barrels are faster or slower than others. The difference from rifle to rifle will be as large or larger than the difference between the cartridges. The 6CM should last at least as long as a .243Win(800-1200 shots before accuracy degradation, and perhaps double that for the what the average shooter would be pleased with), with the 240WBY could be shot out before you settle on a load and get sighted in. To top that off, 240WBY brass is not exactly going to be everywhere, and neither are the rifles. 6CM(or 6.5CM) brass is made by most decent companies now, and the rifles are everywhere. It’s not even a contest. You buy a 240WBY because you’re susceptible to hype and to the name.

No, the 240WBY absolutely does not shoot the same weight bullet 400fps faster than the 6mm CM.

It’s a shame the boy needs something newfangled. A 6CM Creedmore is a slight improvement upon the .243Win primarily because it fits in a short action a little better, and secondarily because it’s shoulder angle reduces brass growth a little. A 6x47L is even better(and still new). A 6mm Remington in an appropriate length action and with an appropriate twist barrel is pretty much the best 6mm hunting cartridge there is.

Last edited:
Gentlemen : Thank you.

As often happens our conversation has evolved and I think I was able to move this along a bit when I was finally able to speak to him on the phone for an extended time.

I will try to keep this as short as possible, but he asked the question we have seen asked or been asked a hundred times. What is the one caliber for everything (-;

Anyway, we had a good conversation about three rifles ( calibers ) possibly being a bit better than one. And that there are many calibers that would work for everything but the dangerous seven in Africa and even that is because of the legal requirements.

Anyway, after mentioning the 30-06 is never a bad place to start, or a 270 Win if you go low or a 35 Whelen if you go high for a one gun hunter,

I told him he could not go wrong with three guns from Winchester ( 243, 270, 338 ) and he might want to rethink taking the 244 H & H and add a 300 H & H and a 375 H & H as he goes through life, that wouldn't be all bad. Even a 257, 300, 340 Weatherby would not be chopped liver.

I tried to stress not following the crowd blindly after he mentioned a couple other teenage boys and what they said he should get, but I found out those boys dont have a rifle ( when I suggested he shoot theirs and see if he likes them ) Anyway, of course there are holes in my three caliber suggestion as two of three would not allow him to hunt DG in Africa someday, but you get my point.

We ended the conversation with us agreeing on two of three points (-: We both agreed the 270 Win caliber should work for everything except the big bears and from memory I told him I thought O,Conner took a couple of them with a 270, but he gets ready to hunt the big bears and If I am still alive we will get him a larger caliber.

He wanted a Weatherby and I had no problem with that. The sticking point. I, of course, like the Deluxe and he wants either the Back Country or High Country model. We are getting closer.

I thank you gentlemen and apologize that after discussing the merits of one caliber , we went to a different caliber. My apologizes

Bambistew: Thank you. Not just for your post on this thread but some of the things you said off the forum somewhat directed me to move him to three rifles ( calibers ) Best of luck on the build and hunt, too bad it wasn't ready this year, but it will hunt next year and maybe in a different country --how cool would that be !

The .270Win is excellent. Bullet offerings are growing. The .280 Rem is only .007” larger, and has some of the best bullets on the planet, and then of course there is the .280AI. Just complicating your situation a little.

I'm afraid i must agree with Bill on this.
Everything from 100gr varmint through 197gr match bullets are available in 7mm (.284).

Having (2) 280 Rem, i can attest to not being "undergunned" in any circumstance for hunting in North America.
I'd even feel comfortable hunting big bears with one. (600+ lb black bears are known to be taken where i hunt).

The 280AI would add more velocity, but still just shy of 7mm Rem Mag velocities. (at least if you load like a sane person).

I'm sorry for derailing your thread earlier.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back