23 swing for fences tag

Hoping for Valle Caldera, maybe. The numbers don't look all that good, so might get creative. But whatever, we're shooting for a ML hunt in a high success unit for DIY. If we don't manage a good hunt this year, going to go with an outfitter next year.

David
NM

Wyoming

I was lucky enough to draw the Wyoming Elk Super Tag this year ( only 12 entries), I think the same way lol that’s what keeps me putting $ towards those type of tags with horrible draw odds every year 🍀

That is indeed swinging for the fences!

Welcome to HuntTalk.

Looking forward to you sharing the whole nine yards of your adventure.

Wyoming

I was lucky enough to draw the Wyoming Elk Super Tag this year ( only 12 entries), I think the same way lol that’s what keeps me putting $ towards those type of tags with horrible draw odds every year 🍀
Congrats, you decide on unit yet?

Do you have to pick only one unit and stick with it, or can you hunt multiple units?
Thats a interesting question, i was thinking commissioner tag when i made comment.

From site:
Raffle winners will be able to hunt any open area for the species selected except for moose (areas with 10 or fewer licenses are restricted), bighorn sheep (areas with eight or fewer licenses are restricted) and wild bison (areas with 10 or fewer licenses are restricted).
Raffle winners must follow all applicable dates, regulations and laws for selected hunt areas.

I don't know if this is swinging for the fences but I am applying for a tag in wyoming that had 50% odds at 6 points last year. I fully understand that it may take more points this year but a man can hope right?

I've also swung for the fences in Arizona for the same tag I managed a grand slam of a drawing (early archery, had 1% chance). Other than that i'll be stepping up to the plate for Colorado moose, sheep, and a variety of New Mexico species.
Okay holy crap... Got the AZ tag

I always worry about drawing an OIL. A lot of pressure to harvest when I’m still trying to cross the veil into getting my first bull or buck.

Tonight, I just applied in NV and UT. I made it a point this year to only apply, no more preference points only unless I have drawn in other states. Swung and missed in AZ and waiting on everywhere else. I have a sinking thought of, “you idiot, if you’re lucky enough to draw that desert sheep tag, what’re you gonna do now?”

Is applying when you know you’re not ready a dumb idea?

I always worry about drawing an OIL. A lot of pressure to harvest when I’m still trying to cross the veil into getting my first bull or buck.

Tonight, I just applied in NV and UT. I made it a point this year to only apply, no more preference points only unless I have drawn in other states. Swung and missed in AZ and waiting on everywhere else. I have a sinking thought of, “you idiot, if you’re lucky enough to draw that desert sheep tag, what’re you gonna do now?”

Tomorrow is not a guarantee for anyone, I like where your heads at

No, it is not a dumb idea. If you happen to draw an OIL tag, you will get yourself ready to make the most of it because you then have no other choice. That situation is better than never drawing an OIL tag before you can no longer hunt.

perma, you are on the right path. I was blessed with an OIL Arizona DBHS nonresident tag last year with somewhat minimal points. Several helpful people on this forum then privately gave me potential outfitters to call and interview in my unit. Another good source of recommendations was officers and contacts at your conservation organizations like RMEF, WSF, etc.

I eventually talked to several guides and then hired one of the outfits. Then I started the physical training for four or five months.

A huge, often overlooked portion of the premium hunts, I think, is the mental equation. Managing the physical part (cold, wind, mud, heat, bugs, ice, snow, sweat, etc.) is much easier than managing the mind games during the actual hunt to me.

Questions will run through your mind like, “Am I going to miss the shot? When will the weather clear up? Why did we pass that legal ram/mountain goat/moose on the first day? Why aren’t we seeing trophies? Why did I bring this rifle? Why did I take up this hobby?” Etc, etc, etc…

Just gotta keep going to the next ridge. Trust your local guides and always stay professional and maintain a positive attitude. Manage your ego and pride. Everything eventually works out.

Fair-chase hunting is not easy and mountain hunting for premium trophy game definitely is not easy. Good fun all around. Happy planning and happy hunting, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

I gamble about 2-3 times a year, maybe $10-20 tops. Video poker - I kiss that money goodbye and bet max. Unlike hunting applications, it's quick and painless but I have the same strategy.

the other way to look at it is if you do luck into a premium tag before you are "ready" you have the opportunity to learn more in a season than you could in ten years of OTC just because you get many more chances to interact with animals and screw it up, the true OIL stuff usually drawing the tag is most of the battle, given the choice I'd wait until you know what you are doing, but with draw odds what they are waiting any amount of time just lowers the odds you will ever get a glory tag, better to experience it before you are ready than never at all...

No, it is not a dumb idea. If you happen to draw an OIL tag, you will get yourself ready to make the most of it because you then have no other choice. That situation is better than never drawing an OIL tag before you can no longer hunt.
If you chose to enter Utah & Nevada from the ground floor or with minimal points, you have nothing to worry about because you aren’t going to be drawing anything anytime soon, if ever. Those two states are beyond longshot, you’re talkin Powerball.

If you chose to enter Utah & Nevada from the ground floor or with minimal points, you have nothing to worry about because you aren’t going to be drawing anything anytime soon, if ever. Those two states are beyond longshot, you’re talkin Powerball.
Agreed, but he is not just starting. He was already accumulating points. His question was if he should buy another year’s worth of points or apply for tags and possibly draw (even though he doesn’t feel “ready”). As you said, the odds are really low, so I think he should go for it instead of just buying points.

Back