Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

.223wssm

ruger243223

Anyone loading for this rifle. What gr bullet works the best for you. The rifle is a browning abolt medallion, 1-10 twist. Thanks HAPPY HUNTING

I have a 223 wssm Browning. It shoots great with the plain old Hornday 55 grn spire points.

55 grn Hornady spire point, cci 250 primer, 44.5 grns IMR4350.

Never chrono'd but it kills everything, shoots great, and doesn't do the explode effect on coyotes. I like that as I sell the decent pelts. Took an antelope with this load and the bullet performed just fine.

thanks t bone I will try it, looking at the bts also. Going to try the TSXs first in the 53gr and the 70. Gotta love the tsxs shoot great in everything I have. HAPPY HUNTING

I was just looking at the Barnes site and the twist for the 70 gr. tsx is 1:7-1:8. My dad just bought my daughter a Winchester mod 70 and it also has a 1:10 twist like the aforementioned Browning. How firm is it that the 1:10 is too slow for the larger bullets?

I was just looking at the Barnes site and the twist for the 70 gr. tsx is 1:7-1:8. My dad just bought my daughter a Winchester mod 70 and it also has a 1:10 twist like the aforementioned Browning. How firm is it that the 1:10 is too slow for the larger bullets?

Not very firm. While it is true that a longer bullet ( not simply heavier) needs more spin to stay stable, it is also true that more velocity provides stability. The 1:7"- 1:8" twist is correct for the slower velocity of the .223. The 1:10" will probably work OK at normal ranges. A trifletoo slow of a twist rate won't cause problems until the bullet gets near the maximum effective range.

Thanks Snake.

I plan to let my daughter use the tsx on deer out to 250 yds max. We can use the lighter bullets on coyotes at farther distances. My dad picked up the gun at walmart for $350 w/scope as an early Christmas present for her. While I would prefer a 243 for her, I wont complain about the 223 wssm. She killed two small doe year before last with the plain .223.

what model was it? Some rifle makers rushed to get these new cartridges into production while winchester, browning, and remington did some redesign on their actions. And of course a rebarreled action is at the mercy of the gunsmith's knowledge.

LMFAO nice snake. I too have had feeding problems with my abolt with the TSXs. The 55gr BTs are the shi!!! shoot .2 at 100yds. Plenty for the yotes around here. HAPPY HUNTING

LMFAO nice snake. I too have had feeding problems with my abolt with the TSXs. The 55gr BTs are the shi!!! shoot .2 at 100yds. Plenty for the yotes around here. HAPPY HUNTING

What did they twist your a-bolt at? Are you seeing any sign of the BT's breaking up in flight? I have had the 40 gr speers break up in flight. You can sometimes see a streak of gray through the scope and the target is peppered with tiny lead smears. Are the holes in the target nice and round?

can't remember for sure on the twist I think it is a 1-12. As for breakup in flight it is a non issue. Shoots like a dream in the .2s at 100yds. And the holes are as round as round can be. This is with factory everything I haven't touched a thing on this rifle. Wish it fed a little better with the TSXs I would really like to pumell some deer with it. Shot me a song dog this yr with it at a little over 600 brother in law bet me a 100 I couldn't hit it he doesn't be with me anymore!!. Anyway I think it is a great cartridge but does have feeding issues. HAPPY HUNTING

In post #12 you said the 55gr bt's ran out at about 2" so I guess I missed something if it's a non-issue. What bullets are we talking about now? And do you only have trouble feeding when using TSX's?

I think it says .2 MOA. And I didn't get any other bullets to shoot very well at all. I tried all the 40s I had and nothing seemed to shoot very well but the velocity was pushing 4400. The TSXs are hitting on the feed ramp, there is a lip there and they hit on it. I am going to take it to the gunsmith too see if he can solve this I would love to be able to shoot the 62s even the 53s would be great but the added weight of the 62 would be better for the velocity. HAPPY HUNTING

I see that now, old eyes. I apologize.
So the feeding problems are not related to the case shape. Looking at it do you think changing COL might improve things?

I see that now, my mind was on playgirl magazine. I don't apologize.
So the feeding problems are not related to the brad pitt shape. Looking at it do you think changing my stained white t shirt might improve things regarding picking up guys at the bars in CO?

What are the stains from? It all depends on the stains. BBQ stains are good.

I tried changing the COL but had no effect. Only the TSXs so far that do it. I haven't tried an actual HP in it but none of the plastic tipped bullets seem to have a problem. HAPPY HUNTING
I see that now, old eyes. I apologize.
So the feeding problems are not related to the case shape. Looking at it do you think changing COL might improve things?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back