Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

22 lr suggestions

Sawtooth

Thinking of purchasing a new bolt action 22lr for shooting paper and ground squirrels (whistle pigs). My daughter is getting her hunting license next month and she can sure burn through the ammo. Can't decide between the Savage Mark 2 and one of the CZ 455 models. I really like my Savage 93 in 17hmr, but have heard good things about the CZ. I want to keep the price under $550, so I will have some left over for a decent scope. Do any of you have any experience with either of these rifles or am I missing another model in the same price range that you would recommend.

From my research I would be all over a CZ everybody I have talked to about them loves them. I researched them heavily last year and in the price range you are talking there is not a better choice than the 455. The .22 world is funny it is a big jump in price from the CZ which shoots just as well to anschuntz, cooper, kimber, and some remington models.
cheers

My son has the Savage bolt .22, great little gun. At the same time, I've always heard that CZ is a great gun as well. I think you'd be good with either. I like my 10/22, but it's not a bolt.

My daughter saved up and bought a Marling XT22 a couple years ago. Perfect little bolt gun. No flaws so far.

I believe it was around $160

I'm partial to the Ruger 10/22's although not bolt action. I do have a Kimber that is lights out too. Handle them and see which one feels the best. Good luck.

I'm partial to the Ruger 10/22's although not bolt action. I do have a Kimber that is lights out too. Handle them and see which one feels the best. Good luck.

I ended up buying a Kimber last year and love it! It likes brick remington too.:)

My first .22 was a BRNO CZ 452, very accurate.
I changed it for a Sako .22 varmint, not sure why as the CZ was just as accurate.
Cheers
Richard

Thanks everyone for your input. I didn't realize that the CZ's safety goes back to the fire position. I would hate to have my daughter miss a nice big game animal next fall because she is trying to pull the safety back instead of push it forward when firing her big game rifle. I suppose that if I go with the CZ, I will have to have her shoot her 308 win. a lot more as we get closer to the fall. My main reason for buying a bolt is improved accuracy and to have an action similar to my daughters big game rifle. Thanks again for every ones help.

Any thoughts on a Ruger 77/22? I've been impressed with all of the ones I've been around

Have you checked the availability of 22LR ammo? The stuff is like gold around my part of the country and it doesn't seem to be letting up like other shortages. The crazies all think it will be used as currency when the world falls apart. Supplies last less than 10mins around here at major stores. I would lean more towards 17HMR myself which is readily available.

EBOLAVIRS, Already got a 17hmr and you are right about the 22 ammo shortage. Hopefully the 600 rounds I have will last me, and my daughter, through this year and things will come back to reality by next year. 17 hmr's are readily available but the difference in price is one reason the 22 is desirable.

Have you checked the availability of 22LR ammo? The stuff is like gold around my part of the country and it doesn't seem to be letting up like other shortages. The crazies all think it will be used as currency when the world falls apart. Supplies last less than 10mins around here at major stores. I would lean more towards 17HMR myself which is readily available.

Agreed, the ammo is hard to get for sure. I'm glad I have been stockpiling for years. I also got an email that the Winchester M-22 have a recall for double charge drops. . .that would make it exciting! I just bought 2 of the 1,000 round boxes at the store about 2 months ago and haven't check the numbers to see if they have been recalled. . . .either way, they aren't goin back!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tekguy
Back