Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

‘21 Iowa whitetail

Beautiful buck and looks like a perfect shot. Congratulations !! I agree with nick87… we need a few more pics of that critter !!

Congrats!! I bumped about a 155-ish buck yesterday tromping around for roosters. From his beds and paths it was evident he moved there 2-3 weeks ago for sanctuary during gun season.

So… I had the day off all day today. I’m at home pacing around knocking things off the honey do list knowing that the conditions are the best they’ve been all year and I’m chomping at the bit. Around noon time my FIL and MIL stop by and of course the first thing my FIL asks is “what time are you going out?” He knows the conditions are perfect! Of course my wife is like “what, you are going hunting?” And I sheepishly answer that I would like to go, but it wouldn’t be until like 4pm because I hadn’t been seeing deer until right at legal shooting time, and it’s cold out.” While I say that out loud I’m thinking in the back of my mind that I haven’t gotten any of my cold weather gear out and it snowed so I better dig that gear out, plus it’s Wednesday, that’s trash day. Yes, We have to take our trash to a rural drop off location once a week, no curbside bs here. The trash man doesn’t get there until 2 pm so I say I’ll take the kids with me to earn some browny points. I make a mental checklist of all this stuff and continue with my honey do list. Finally, the kids and I go to the garbage dump and get rid of our trash. They want a treat and dad does too, so we go the extra mile into town. The youngest gets a bag of chips and the oldest gets some sour fizzy candy things; dad gets a 6 pack of Leinies toasted Bock. We get home around 3 and of course I open one of my beers, immediately my wife is like “your drinking before you go hunting” so I finish the beer while getting my stuff together and take off about 3:30 for my spot. Like I said earlier it was about 12 degrees, ne wind, overcast PERFECT! I’m driving down the road about a half mile from where I want to park and I’m checking hunttalk, trying to reply to @BrentD when across a draw about 800 yards away I can see a deer on the snowy hillside. I know it’s a buck by the way he’s standing so I throw up the glasses and confirm it’s an ok buck, definitely worth noting, and on
public land! But there is nothing I can do about because he’s already watching me and the wind is blowing right at him. I continue about a 1/2 mile to where I’m going to park. I stop, get my stuff together and am ready to leave the truck when I hear another car coming. Of course the guy stops and wants to talk, he leaves after a few minutes and I begin to cross the road to where I’m going and there is a doe staring at me about 100 yards away. SHIT! Well, then behind her in the tree line I see a big tall 8 or 10 pointer. They both dart into the woods and I thought about turning around and calling it, but I had been seeing more deer here and it was early still. So I get behind a hill with the wind right and sneak to where I want to set up about 300 yards from where the buck and doe were. I put up the binoculars and I can see them in the woods!

Back