MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

‘21 Iowa whitetail

When I got home I got dressed in my hunting clothes and decided to hike into the wind. It was out of the southeast. I lost a glove during shotgun season and I thought I knew where it would be, where I gutted my brothers deer. So I crept real slow with the intent of covering about 1.5 miles in the 3 hours I had to hunt. I I got to where I was hoping the glove would be without seeing a deer. I looked all around and could not find the glove so I continued on my planned route to loop back to where I started. As I was getting closer to edge of the woods I could hear leaves rustling. There had been tons of squirrels so I figured it was another squirrel but I crept to the top of the rise to see over. The wind was not great, but it wasn’t bad either. About 40 yards away was a fork horn buck. I got the scope on him real quick and seriously considered shooting him but he never presented s good shot and I needed to get home to get my daughter from the school bus. Now you are probably thinking why a fork horn? Well, to be honest I don’t really care for the big antlers anymore. Don’t get me wrong, I’m going to kill a big buck if I see one. However for a few years it’s been more about how or where I kill the deer not size. For some reason the situation struck me and I would have been more than happy harvesting that fork horn under those circumstances. But I didn’t.
After seeing/reading the #squirrelfit and seeing a lot of squirrels deer hunting there is a very good possibility I will be back in there tomorrow with my single shot marlin .22 that I found in my grandpas barn before they moved to town. So tomorrow I won’t see a squirrel and I’ll see a huge buck at 40 yards instead of a fork horn.

I walked out on grey more in Pdc this morning. There was no one else out there and only about an inch of ice 100 yards off shore in about 18” of water so I turned around. I went up towards Lansing and there were a few guys out by lynxville, but on the wrong side of the tracks. In Lansing there were about 12 cars and 30 guys at shore slough. I wasn’t in the mood for people so I went to the north end of shore slough where they were doing the dredging last summer. There was one truck in the pullout and I knew who it was. His stuff was next to his truck and he had just walked.down to check the ice. He said it wasn’t thick enough for him and that was good enough reason for me to stay off the ice so I went home and got my muzzleloader.

I talked to a retired buddy of mine that was on shore slough in the morning. He got 13 nice gills.

Nothing better than hunting in the snow. I was just telling the wife this morning, I wish we had snow the entire hunting season.

That buck a surprise or one you've been watching?
They are calling for -11 and more snow on Saturday or Sunday. I was going to be hunting but I wasn’t going to like it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back