Yeti GOBOX Collection

205 Breaks Sheep? Lewton finds another one?

Nemont

anybody hear about this one?

00small17834354.JPG

I was up there hunting this weekend and talked to the game warden. I asked him about the potential new state record that was killed..(I had gotten the email photos a couple of days before)..he told me that ram greened right around 200" when it was checked in.
The out of state tag holder on the south side of the river killed it.

Unbelievable ram. I've heard lots of reports of fwp scoring sheep 5 or 6 inches off either way, I wouldn't take their score seriously.

Monster ram, not sure which guy is crazier though; the hunter for going with Lewton or Lewton for being involved considering what he is going through.

From what the warden told me, it is going to net under 200" when it is officially scored, and wouldn't push the state record.
For all I know, that could be BS though.

Could be. I know the bio around here, also an official scorer, doesn't score sheep that come in for plugging. Age, length and bases. He won't score until drying period is complete on any critters. Of course he did not plug this critter. Others may work differently.

You are assuming that is FWP's score.

Sorry I forgot to reply to Drake's comment, which was the intention. I'm saying I'd trust the 205" that Lewton likely came up with more than I would the 200" Drake said FWP came up with.

Let's say that it is 205 green. How much shrinkage can one expect? I realize every ram is different and every situation is different but what are the typical expectations. My guide in Alaska scored a Dall for me. When I had it officially scored it was over two inches smaller. Could have been overestimation by my guide, although he has scored sheep for over 40 years, a tight tape by the official measurer, or a lot of shriveling up on my ram's part.

My best friend shot a ram last year, shrunk almost 4 inches to end up just over two inches under 180:mad:, not sure if the green score was super accurate (although two people came up with about the same score) but the official was by B&C headquarters. Not sure if that's normal shrinkage or not.

Typically sheep do not shrink significantly....but base circumferences can decrease during the drying period. Four inches is drastic........probably a combination of shrinking and mis-measurement the first time, IMO.

The ram pictured is a gorgeous ram........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleyhunter456
Back