2024 dreams and plans

They've got my name written on a breaks sheep tag already, let's just hope they don't lose my address by spring!

I've got enough points in a lot of places to be dangerous, but nothing really a given unless I lower my standards. Likely just going to be luck of the draw. Hope something hits but planning on none.

Heading to Mexico in February for some duck hunting and sun on the beach with the wife.
We will be going back to NH in June for some trout fishing and hiking in the Presidentials.
Haven't come up with a plan for the fall yet, I'm at an in between spot with points, probably just put in for cow elk or doe antelope.

Wife wants to go back to Alaska in August 2024 for DIY Caribou.

Then I am heading into Frank Church Wilderness for 15 days with Elk, Deer, and couple wolf tags.

Couple buddies want to go Nebraska this spring chase turkeys so I may go too.

Nothing to fancy
Leaving in couple weeks to hunt quail in AZ

Spring bear here in MT
Elk, haven't hunt deer in years
Bird early fall as weather permits
Trip planned to UP of Michigan for grouse
Chukars in ID, or Nev
Finish the season with geese

Well since it’s not even Christmas and I just got done in New Mexico last week….ya I have some apps in already see what happens probably just more donations to state agencies

Birds until the end of January and maybe cats if we get any snow. Lanai, the middle of March. Turkeys, more turkeys, and maybe bears this spring with @trb if our schedules work out. Archery antelope in August and then General tags here in Idaho as I plan on drawing sheep somewhere in the Owyhee's. Kodiak, the middle of November. I may chase birds in SD at the end of October again unless Wyoming gives me an elk tag. Planning on a busy fall as usual, God willing, of course.
Bought the winning raffle ticket today for a guided Afognak Bear and Deer combo. I feel lucky. I will have to figure out where to put a 10' bear rug.

If the Lord allows, my current plans are:

For sure:
Hunt at home for a week of the Minnesota 3A gun deer season. Hoping to take my oldest son along with me for a couple days of this for the first time.
Hunt opening weekend of the Minnesota archery deer season. Hoping to take my middle son along for the first time.
Would love to finally shoot a deer while one or both of my sons are along.
Continue to take my oldest son squirrel hunting.
Get my oldest son out practicing shooting a lot all summer.

More likely than not:
Take my oldest son on his first deer hunt in Wisconsin. Would like to take him during youth season, but that depends on if we draw a certain tag in the west. Will at least like to get him out a little during the regular gun season although I admit that Wisconsin hunters on public land scare the crap out of me, so I would focus on week days where hopefully less crazies are out. This is dependent on how he does practicing during the summer and if I feel he's ready. He'll be 8, so I'm not putting a lot of pressure on it.

Possible:
Will be applying for WY elk with my points. Likely won't draw, but will be a great tag if I do.
Plan to try to burn my dad's CO elk points. He has a possibility of drawing but far from guarantee. Again will be a great tag if he draws.
Can only do one of the above hunts, so if I draw WY, we will return my dad's CO tag.

Long shot:
Will apply for long-shot tags for AZ elk and possibly deer. Will apply for long-shot CO and NH moose.

Backup:
If neither my dad nor I draw our elk tags, I will hunt the entire first week of the MN archery deer season and will likely take my oldest son out for a couple days of that as well.

2024 and 2025 will likely be my last chances for quite a while to be doing much hunting for myself. After that, my oldest son will be old enough to hunt the family property in MN, and my priority will be having him get some deer.

These plans are subject to change since they typically never stay what I originally planned....usually gravitating toward spending more time hunting near home. I'm just thankful that I get to have some wonderful hunting and spending time with family no matter where I end up going.

Winter: Lions with hounds. Coaching hockey for my little guy, so less time to hunt than typical.

Spring: Coaching soccer for my daughter and will do a little spring turkey hunting locally.

Summer: Hopefully a few scouting trips for a sheep or goat tag I drew in spring, but likely not. Also heading to Zimbabwe for a safari that my dad is coming along on. He will shoot bait. I'll hunt what comes to the bait. I also will tune up some of my Brittanys for the fall.

Fall: Hunt with my three girls and wife locally for birds and big game but maybe out of town if they draw anything. My fall is usually determined by what I draw, my family draws, or my best buddy draws. I bow hunt for elk, and we will also deer hunt as a family. Most of what I put in for in other states are high end tags, but I usually mix some easier to get pronghorn hunts here and there.

Winter: Back to taking out hound town.

Last edited:
-Will always do the weeklong rut bow hunt and opening weekend rifle hunt here in Wisconsin, that’s non-negotiable.

-Ducks and grouse here at home will certainly happen as per usual.

-One main goal is to trap my first otter and/or beaver here.

-It’s hard to really know what to expect with Wyoming draws this year- will attempt to draw elk/antelope. Will also put in for the NM flyer as per usual, points in AZ/UT/MT. Colorado muley is my bail out. Will head west somewhere for something, even if it’s just a scout/fishing trip.

Winter: Lions with hounds. I've got twin girls who turn 10 in January so if we find a nice one or two we may do some shooting. Coaching hockey for my little guy, so less time to hunt than typical.

Spring: Coaching soccer for the twins and will do a little spring turkey hunting locally.

Summer: Hopefully a few scouting trips for a sheep or goat tag I drew in spring, but likely not. Also heading to Zimbabwe for a safari that my dad is coming along on. He will shoot bait. I'll hunt what comes to the bait. I also will tune up some of my Brittanys for the fall.

Fall: Hunt with my three girls and wife locally for birds and big game but maybe out of town if they draw anything. My fall is usually determined by what I draw, my family draws, or my best buddy draws. I bow hunt for elk, and we will also deer hunt as a family. Most of what I put in for in other states are high end tags, but I usually mix some easier to get pronghorn hunts here and there.

Winter: Back to taking out hound town.
Tried to put idaho lion in my 2024 plans but idaho didn’t like me and I didn’t draw a hound permit. I hope your season goes well!

-Will always do the weeklong rut bow hunt and opening weekend rifle hunt here in Wisconsin, that’s non-negotiable.

-Ducks and grouse here at home will certainly happen as per usual.

-One main goal is to trap my first otter and/or beaver here.

-It’s hard to really know what to expect with Wyoming draws this year- will attempt to draw elk/antelope. Will also put in for the NM flyer as per usual, points in AZ/UT/MT. Colorado muley is my bail out. Will head west somewhere for something, even if it’s just a scout/fishing trip.
Shoot me a PM if you ever need advice on the beaver and otter. I’ve got quite a few under my belt and finally figured out some of the best tricks for otter.

With a wife, three kids, and a son-in-law, plus keeping an eye on my dad's plans, I have almost unlimited options, but also almost unlimited conflicts. The two things at the top of my list right now are my dad drawing a decent bull elk tag in NE Oregon and kicking around a family trip to Wyoming with a bull elk tag for my daughter. Everything else will slowly fit in.

QQ

So far I have a cow bison hunt booked on the Crow in July. Hope to draw an antelope tag with 9 pts in my home state of NV. Going to be hard to beat this years NV desert sheep hunt though. The bison has been a lifelong dream of mine

So many goals…

Get my 300 super dialed.

Upgrade my scope on my 6.5 and keep hammering

Kill two big spring toms, and at least one with my bow.

Kill my first spring bear.

Kill a pile of yotes.

Backpack a ton with my wife.

Kayak fish and camp like a som bitch.

Apply for some out of state archery elk permits, and draw one.

Draw an antelope tag to chase with my bro.

Help my buddy in MT do some ranch in’ to earn my brother and I’s mule deer access for the fall.

Kill a respectable speed goat.

Call in and kill my first archery bull.

Call in and kill a fall bear in WA.

Kill a mature WA mulie buck.

Kill a monster non-typical mulie in MT. Yes, these exist. Blessed to have the opportunity. A 200 plus inch hog was killed on the property this year. I have the picture, but have been told I can’t share it. Sorry…

Kill a mature bull with my 300

Kill another fall Tom for Thanksgiving dinner and brine and smoke him.

I have a great life.

I’ve made work friends with a local hound hunter, so when we catch a good snow and we can both play hookie I’ll hopefully finally get to chase a cat. It’s something I haven’t done since I was a kid, and am looking forward to it.

Plan to hammer hard on the turkey’s this spring, two tags, and probably work in getting my 5 year old out for one.

We’re fresh out of bear sausage and no big yard plans for this spring so bear hunting will be a priority.

We’re working on making our first family backpacking trip this summer. Somewhere it’ll be a short pack because short little legs don’t cover ground well, and dad will have to be the pack mule.

Next fall I plan to put in for my usual cow tag, OTC deer, and if available will snag a NR A tag when the day rolls around.

Take my boat out fishing at least once per month April-October. Stack walleyes like cord wood.

Catch at least two additional master angler fish species.

Take my son fishing more.

Shoot a pronghorn buck and an elk with whatever tags the gods allow.

Tried to put idaho lion in my 2024 plans but idaho didn’t like me and I didn’t draw a hound permit. I hope your season goes well!
Thanks. You as well. The NR hound permit gets tougher each year for sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back