2022 spring turkey

I'm not good at kissing ass . If you want to know where a good spot for a monster buck is on government ground in southern Illinois I would tell ya.. it's still up to you to get him..
Take @DouglasR and when he shows me the monster buck, I’ll take you out for a turkey here in Montana. 🤪

Better get some posts under your belt for a PM, or nobody can begin to help you without sharing that information to the masses…

Take @DouglasR and when he shows me the monster buck, I’ll take you out for a turkey here in Montana. 🤪
I tell you right where to start looking.. like I said, it's up to you to kill em.. trail cams will show you they are there... The first place I will tell you about is a place we call pennant bar... It use to be a cattle farm.. the old folks died and the children didn't want to be farmers so rather than pay taxes on it they let the forest service take it.. it's located on the Johnson,, pope county line near grantsburg Illinois.. several large bucks call it home.. here you go.. your turn.. no b.s

Attachments

• IMG_20201121_122721.jpg
    IMG_20201121_122721.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 7
I tell you right where to start looking.. like I said, it's up to you to kill em.. trail cams will show you they are there... The first place I will tell you about is a place we call pennant bar... It use to be a cattle farm.. the old folks died and the children didn't want to be farmers so rather than pay taxes on it they let the forest service take it.. it's located on the Johnson,, pope county line near grantsburg Illinois.. several large bucks call it home.. here you go.. your turn.. no b.s
That buck in the photo is from my 11 nephew 2022 shotgun kill a week ago in that area.. it is his second buck ever!! Not going to lie,, took a lot of scouting and several passes on others but he did it

That buck in the photo is from my 11 nephew 2022 shotgun kill a week ago in that area.. it is his second buck ever!! Not going to lie,, took a lot of scouting and several passes on others but he did it
I will say that I'm not new to turkey hunting.. I have gotten them in six states so far.. some of the best hunts I have been on have come from word of mouth from complete strangers.. I have paid dues to nwtf for years and there's virtually no way I would miss Nashville in February.. I am a public land hunter and also hold a full time job.. I have to schedule days for exact times.. I don't get a chance to go before hand and do a ton of scouting.. I have to pretty much scout with a gun in my hand..

Delete this before no more big bucks call it home dumb@$$! Save it for a pm with someone from the area that needs it

Nah,, it gets hunted by nonresident and resident already.. not stingy... They aren't easy..
Ya gotta understand,, I'm from Illinois.. we get thousands of nonresident hunters every fall... A large percent of them hunt public ground... Really aren't any secret spots,, with onx and other apps available.. the biggest difference is that I live here.. it takes time to understand an area, or areas,, to be consistent...alot of people leave here happy but I suspect even more don't..most of the public ground is in the southern part of my state .. I am use to the overwhelming army that shows up every fall.. but like I said,, I live here....

"Nobody wants to spot burn"

"I know how I'll make them trust me and give up some good locations, I'll spot burn!"

The original intent of this thread was definitely not to spot burn, however to share tips, tactics, terrain features, habits, etc that you have recognized in hunting or scouting to be a successful turkey hunter.

Would it really be nearly as much fun if someone said “go here, kill turkey!”?

"I know how I'll make them trust me and give up some good locations, I'll spot burn!"
I don't believe you are getting it.. this is Illinois.,. This is public ground.... There are dozens of apps that show it..... Also there are good bucks on just about all of Illinois public ground....

The original intent of this thread was definitely not to spot burn, however to share tips, tactics, terrain features, habits, etc that you have recognized in hunting or scouting to be a successful turkey hunter.

Would it really be nearly as much fun if someone said “go here, kill turkey!”?
No,, but start here,,there a good chance you will hear one would be pretty good

I honestly believe that you can not put your finger on a map on public ground here in Illinois and not find a great mature buck.. with the apps that are available there are no " spots " it's all good for deer.. but getting them is a different story..

No,, but start here,,there a good chance you will hear one would be pretty good
I sooner cut off my pinkie than tell you where to find "a turkey".
That said, you already know the answer to get you started.
For the time being turkey populations are solid across Montana. Look on line at F & G website to see how the State is sectioned off for tag opportunity. Most non residents coming from the East don't want to drive any farther than necessary so public land on the East end gets visitors. There is plenty of ground...this isn't your neighbors farm. Start with National Forest but also consider BLM and State ground. Every significant river corridor has turkeys. Most public land in the East which has timber is worth checking. You have to be willing to make an effort....which involves alot of driving and risk with inclement weather( spring blizzards, which eventually turn the back roads to impassable mud). It might take more than one trip. Look beyond things and enjoy yourself. You should WANT to come to Montana for more than just killing a bird and moving on. I have no sympathy for those guys that are trying to kill a turkey in every state and are locked in on gun and run.
So as I said, you already have the answer, as indicated in your original post. If you bump in to people while hunting...walk further, or relocate a few miles. If you know how to hunt turkeys, then the rest is cake walk.
Merriam can cover alot of ground from winter staging to spring.
Good luck.

I sooner cut off my pinkie than tell you where to find "a turkey".
That said, you already know the answer to get you started.
For the time being turkey populations are solid across Montana. Look on line at F & G website to see how the State is sectioned off for tag opportunity. Most non residents coming from the East don't want to drive any farther than necessary so public land on the East end gets visitors. There is plenty of ground...this isn't your neighbors farm. Start with National Forest but also consider BLM and State ground. Every significant river corridor has turkeys. Most public land in the East which has timber is worth checking. You have to be willing to make an effort....which involves alot of driving and risk with inclement weather( spring blizzards, which eventually turn the back roads to impassable mud). It might take more than one trip. Look beyond things and enjoy yourself. You should WANT to come to Montana for more than just killing a bird and moving on. I have no sympathy for those guys that are trying to kill a turkey in every state and are locked in on gun and run.
So as I said, you already have the answer, as indicated in your original post. If you bump in to people while hunting...walk further, or relocate a few miles. If you know how to hunt turkeys, then the rest is cake walk.
Merriam can cover alot of ground from winter staging to spring.
Good luck.
Those words are appreciated.. keep your pinky ! Lol.. I understand that you believe it to be a " run and gun " thing but truth is I don't have much money.. I couldn't go that far again without years of saving as I did for this time.. my brother and I have wanted to go there for about 10 years.. as for all the states,not possible.. I do have a friend in Hamilton Montana... It's as about west as you can get. Don't know of the bird population there...I am planning a later in spring trip in may.. hopefully it works out.

I don't believe you are getting it.. this is Illinois.,. This is public ground.... There are dozens of apps that show it..... Also there are good bucks on just about all of Illinois public ground....
Since this is a turkey thread, ask Tennessee how a bunch of comments like this with some influencer money thrown in ends up for pressure on public lands.

I do know the area around Ashland gets hammered, but if there are good numbers there I would not be against it..

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back