Caribou Gear Tarp

2022 spring turkey

I have heard south east Montana gets a lot of pressure..but if there is a gem to be found I would like to find it..
Gems are precious. Precious items are rare. Build relationships on here and someone may drop you some DM’s, as the kids say, in the future.

Got any good starting points in south east Montana?
We all use online gps like OnX. And driving around during the off season will help to find where birds GENERALLY are… spot and stalk from a high glassing point is helpful, and listening for the sounds of rutting birds in the spring helps too.. took me 4 years to get my first wild Turkey. Been on here 2 years and haven’t gotten very much “help” myself. It’s just about sharing your experiences and giving your all. Good luck. Hope to see you back “in the future”

I have heard south east Montana gets a lot of pressure..but if there is a gem to be found I would like to find it..
In would find a place with trees and water. Then I would go there and listen for gobbling in the morning and evening. I would also use my eyes for seeing and some calls to elicit more gobbles until the turkey and I were within about 30 yards of each other. Then my shotgun would render the turkey lifeless and the hunt would end at that point.

What gems do you have to share?

If you got a spot to shoot elk Ill trade my turkey spots.. 😂

*off-touch story time*

My coworker spotted some bulls one time.. at the same time a father and daughter approached my coworker and asked if he was gonna take one or if the guys daughter could.. after graciously giving up the shot to the girl, both men excited for her, she stood up and shrugged it off; saying it’s her THIRD bull. My coworker learned a hard lesson in being gracious that day as that would have been his first bull ever.. would he go back and do it again? Yes probably. Would I? Hard to say… would you?

@jjhill - I’ve never hunted turkeys in Montana. But like others have said you may not get gps coordinates but you can still learn a lot by reading the posts from some very good hunters. Using their techniques that have worked year after year for them will help you to find your own gem.

@FoodIsMemories - we have a few guys who are willing to let other people be successful in our group before them. They never take the best stands and are always willing to help get other people deer. But we also have some people who take advantage of it.

Oh I don’t disagree a bit @Gellar ! I’ve only taken 3 bucks in my life at the point I took my new-to-hunting friend and promised we’re getting his before mine! I posted it on here! https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/first-time-success-for-a-new-hunter.316455/
I think bull elk and buck deer are apples to oranges though… Its difficult to say I’d give that gem of an opportunity having never had tasted that sweet success myself, at least a couple of times is all.. like I said, I’ve hunted my arse off for 4 years for turkey and have only gotten but one. This year. Maybe someone else that has turkeys come easy or has tasted that success enough, will offer up the gem of opportunity!

Until then, I hope my advice is taken seriously! It was no joke or hazing. Use maps, drive around looking for birds in the off season, and listen for them afield. Good luck to the OP

Oh I don’t disagree a bit @Gellar ! I’ve only taken 3 bucks in my life at the point I took my new-to-hunting friend and promised we’re getting his before mine! I posted it on here! https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/first-time-success-for-a-new-hunter.316455/
I think bull elk and buck deer are apples to oranges though… Its difficult to say I’d give that gem of an opportunity having never had tasted that sweet success myself, at least a couple of times is all.. like I said, I’ve hunted my arse off for 4 years for turkey and have only gotten but one. This year. Maybe someone else that has turkeys come easy or has tasted that success enough, will offer up the gem of opportunity!

Until then, I hope my advice is taken seriously! It was no joke or hazing. Use maps, drive around looking for birds in the off season, and listen for them afield. Good luck to the OP
Good things come to good people! You will be rewarded for helping your friend and for working your arse off learning those turkeys!

I'm not good at kissing ass . If you want to know where a good spot for a monster buck is on government ground in southern Illinois I would tell ya.. it's still up to you to get him..
It's not about you. It's about everyone else who can read information on a public forum.

It's not about you. It's about everyone else who can read information on a public forum.
That's true,, but like the big bucks here, it's up to the individual to get it.. those birds ,like these bucks, wouldn't be easy but they are there.. I would like to try

That's true,, but like the big bucks here, it's up to the individual to get it.. those birds ,like these bucks, wouldn't be easy but they are there.. I would like to try
Strap your boots on tight and give it a shot this spring. Report back what worked, what didn’t work. Give an honest report and you may be surprised what some people will share.

That was the plan.. just was asking about a general starting point.. I have spoken to three biologist in three regions.. harvest reports,, season hatches.. don't narrow the window for how much country there is.. hunters have way more knowledge than gov. Employees.. this will be a one time shot for me..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back