Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

2022 spring turkey

I am from the Southeast and have been turkey hunting pretty hard for a few years now. I am looking at trying to get on a Rio or a Merriam this year. I feel like this forum is majority western hunters but I would be interested to see the differences people have noticed between hunting Eastern turkeys and the Western subspecies. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
The biggest thing I have noticed is that the Merriam's up here in Montana just aren't as skittish as the Easterns back in Missouri. I have to assume it's due to less pressure on them up here then there.

The biggest thing I have noticed is that the Merriam's up here in Montana just aren't as skittish as the Easterns back in Missouri. I have to assume it's due to less pressure on them up here then there.
I would imagine they are more Isolated in Montana though correct?

I would imagine they are more Isolated in Montana though correct?
Im sure they are in certain areas however I have seen quite a few flocks just driving down the highway. Every time I drive through Townsend I see a flock on the north side of town that seem totally oblivious to people.

I am from the Southeast and have been turkey hunting pretty hard for a few years now. I am looking at trying to get on a Rio or a Merriam this year. I feel like this forum is majority western hunters but I would be interested to see the differences people have noticed between hunting Eastern turkeys and the Western subspecies. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I've never hunted turkeys out west, but like you I would like to in the near future. I think the biggest thing like other western species is densities. In the east the turkeys are more abundant and it seems like a group of turkeys is in every woodlot ( I know that this is changing in some areas and the turkey numbers are down). In the west you may cover several drainages and ridge tops before you get into turkeys.

I don't have much advice on that subject.. I am practically in the same boat. What I can tell you as the one difference is roost sites for the Rio in Oklahoma was pretty well limited to cottonwood ditch rows in the western part of the state... They did have a lot more roost areas in the Eastern part of the state and acted more like eastern birds there..the hunting pressure was very high in the east with Arkansas plates everywhere... literally looked like opening day of gun season for deer in Illinois !! Lol

Obviously the first place to start in Montana would be to go to the FWP site and look up the harvest reports for the past 5 years which will give you a good idea of whether their populations are growing or declining in certain areas plus what kind of pressure you are looking at.

My cousin and I had an interesting situation arise in Oklahoma...I'm going to put the question in front of yuns and ask " what you would have done??? Western Oklahoma, afternoon.. pull into a little town and pick up some ice and paper towels. Lady in check out line over hears our conversation..she says "so y'all are hunting turkey "?? I say yes ma'am.. she proceeded to tell us they have Turks at there place every morning and every afternoon . She directs us up to the local napa auto center to talk to her husband about hunting them... The husband backs her every word.. he gives us permission to go check it out and try for one and that they would both be home within the hour... We get to there place and this is what we have to work with... There is a quarter acre horse pen,, a wire fence separating it from the yard... It has a couple horses in it.. 30 feet from the fence is a swimming pool.. to the east of the pool is a big deck and the house.. the deck has big lounge chairs on it.. to the south of the pool at about 40 feet is another fence.. beyond this fence is another man's property which is leased by other hunters... It's a no trespassing situation... The home owner shows up and says just put your decoys out there between the pool and the south fence in that small strip of yard and sit against the pool !! I'm in mossy oak and forgot to pack my blue wave camo.. ! We did set the decoys up and I turned around and saw the husband and wife sitting on the porch with cups of coffee waiting on the show... I just couldn't make my self do it. !!!! A graciously thanked them but had to pass... I did call from the yard one time, and one did answer down on the lease .. we left.. what do yuns think ?

Obviously the first place to start in Montana would be to go to the FWP site and look up the harvest reports for the past 5 years which will give you a good idea of whether their populations are growing or declining in certain areas plus what kind of pressure you are looking at.
I would like to add a tip to contacting the local dnr and biologist.. they will tell you where the birds are and the approximate numbers but they also will tell the other 50 or one hundred people who have called or contacted them... It will be the exact info they tell you.. there is nothing wrong with that and I believe they should share the info.. just be aware..

Im
My cousin and I had an interesting situation arise in Oklahoma...I'm going to put the question in front of yuns and ask " what you would have done??? Western Oklahoma, afternoon.. pull into a little town and pick up some ice and paper towels. Lady in check out line over hears our conversation..she says "so y'all are hunting turkey "?? I say yes ma'am.. she proceeded to tell us they have Turks at there place every morning and every afternoon . She directs us up to the local napa auto center to talk to her husband about hunting them... The husband backs her every word.. he gives us permission to go check it out and try for one and that they would both be home within the hour... We get to there place and this is what we have to work with... There is a quarter acre horse pen,, a wire fence separating it from the yard... It has a couple horses in it.. 30 feet from the fence is a swimming pool.. to the east of the pool is a big deck and the house.. the deck has big lounge chairs on it.. to the south of the pool at about 40 feet is another fence.. beyond this fence is another man's property which is leased by other hunters... It's a no trespassing situation... The home owner shows up and says just put your decoys out there between the pool and the south fence in that small strip of yard and sit against the pool !! I'm in mossy oak and forgot to pack my blue wave camo.. ! We did set the decoys up and I turned around and saw the husband and wife sitting on the porch with cups of coffee waiting on the show... I just couldn't make my self do it. !!!! A graciously thanked them but had to pass... I did call from the yard one time, and one did answer down on the lease .. we left.. what do yuns think ?
I’m sure if you sat there long enough a turkey would have came in. I do not prefer hunting turkeys stationary and would have, as you did, politely thanked them but declined the invitation.

Yeah that seems like hunting someone’s pets to me. I couldnt do it.

Im sure they are in certain areas however I have seen quite a few flocks just driving down the highway. Every time I drive through Townsend I see a flock on the north side of town that seem totally oblivious to people.
I’m fairly familiar with that area. I worked Just south of Livingston for a little bit. Always saw birds around the shields but i was never in Montana during the season. For sure some pretty country.

I generally do not pack decoys and almost zero set in a blind for Turks.. I prefer to be mobile and use terrain and calling to get close to them . Sitting knees up,, front side of the tree.. I am wondering if this style is a minority or if a majority??? What's your thoughts???

I generally do not pack decoys and almost zero set in a blind for Turks.. I prefer to be mobile and use terrain and calling to get close to them . Sitting knees up,, front side of the tree.. I am wondering if this style is a minority or if a majority??? What's your thoughts???
I didn't know there was another way to hunt turkeys than what you are doing.

Have never used a decoy to kill a turkey, and have zero desire to ever do so. Have killed 4 out of a ground blind, one with a bow, just to say I've done it. Really have no desire to ever do that again, much rather shoot them with a shotgun.
Prefer late season here, hunting pressure is light, birds are call shy and skittish, which really adds to the fun.

Have never used a decoy to kill a turkey, and have zero desire to ever do so. Have killed 4 out of a ground blind, one with a bow, just to say I've done it. Really have no desire to ever do that again, much rather shoot them with a shotgun.
Prefer late season here, hunting pressure is light, birds are call shy and skittish, which really adds to the fun.
I’ve bowhunted them before, one year I decided I was going to kill one with my bow without a blind. I got it done, but it was frustrating messing up more times than not.

I’ve bowhunted them before, one year I decided I was going to kill one with my bow without a blind. I got it done, but it was frustrating messing up more times than not.

Completely changes the style of hunting turkeys (archery v shotgun). Days on end to get it done with an arrow, while those same days I could have easily doubled (in the days of multiple tags in my unit)

Completely changes the style of hunting turkeys (archery v shotgun). Days on end to get it done with an arrow, while those same days I could have easily doubled (in the days of multiple tags in my unit)
Yes, every set up you had to analyze every possible scenario to make sure you were hidden and could get the turkey into range, plus draw your bow back.
I guess I probably cheated and broke my self imposed rules for the challenge. because as time was running out I found some turkeys coming to a field with and dilapidated building on it. I didn’t hide in the building, but I used one of the walls to help conceal myself. Plus it was about 15 yards into an overgrown jungle from the field edge.

I tried for several seasons with a recurve but never fired a shot. Had a jake at full draw and close but the green light never came on. Maybe I'll try again, but not this spring. I'll be lucky to hold a gun at that point.

Back