Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2022 spring turkey

Yuns have heard the term " run and gun " .. I was that way till I passed 45.... Loved it !! Now I use the term " slip and sit ". Unless I got some blabber mouth birds moving out of the country on me, then I will pick up the pace..I sat in one blind one time in the pouring rain but that's it... instead of crossing over ridge after ridge like I use to could,, now I pick a long main ridge and ease down it to finger ridges and prospect off those returning to the main ridge then down to the next finger and so on until a strike is made.at that point I will check ol gobbs temperature.. that dictates how aggressive I get..

Two years ago I chased a gobbling tom for two miles, then when he finally hung up he wouldn't budge.Three hours later his hens left him and he flipped out and ran in to my lap.
I will do whatever it takes.
Age is no factor.

As I said,, I take there temp, see how they are acting then adjust to what is needed for that bird,,, of which all takes place after you have found him..

Has anyone else done the after dark trail cam test on all the newer camo ? I have.. most brands fail miserably... Animals,,, in particular, deer and turkey see UV very well... Have you had a gobbler get up to about 60 or 70 and suddenly stop, stretch up , fix his wing and turn and high neck it out of there knowing full well you haven't moved a muscle or blinked an eye? UV !! IM TELLING YOU ITS A REAL THING ! If you have had a deer come up then start doing the head bob and foot stomp with the wind in your face and you been sitting so tight that it would make a rock jealous it's most likely ultraviolet reflection from the newer style camo.. they make ultraviolet wash detergent.. I have tried it with lacking results..I have found the older style camo doesn't reflect it like the newer fabric..

Has anyone else done the after dark trail cam test on all the newer camo ? I have.. most brands fail miserably... Animals,,, in particular, deer and turkey see UV very well... Have you had a gobbler get up to about 60 or 70 and suddenly stop, stretch up , fix his wing and turn and high neck it out of there knowing full well you haven't moved a muscle or blinked an eye? UV !! IM TELLING YOU ITS A REAL THING ! If you have had a deer come up then start doing the head bob and foot stomp with the wind in your face and you been sitting so tight that it would make a rock jealous it's most likely ultraviolet reflection from the newer style camo.. they make ultraviolet wash detergent.. I have tried it with lacking results..I have found the older style camo doesn't reflect it like the newer fabric..
It's very noticeable on some of the outdoor videos when they are giving a before dawn or after dark interview and it looks like they are standing there in white snow suit then it gets light out and you notice they are wearing camo.. the new stuff looks very good to people, but not to animals..

@jjhill Quoting yourself is next level, why not start a thread about this. I am sure some would love to hear about this, one guy named tom will definitely enjoy your insight!

Camo? I don't need no stinkin' camo!

I guess I'm not very fashion conscious. :)
That's true.. some of the old checkered plaid works better than the new stuff.. northern deer hunters have taken hundreds of good bucks wearing plaid shirts !

As I get up in years, I set more listen to how the acting first thing in the morning. Once they fly down and shut up. I know eventually they will be back around once those hens peel off.

Yep... I agree... I may play with them after first light but if they head out I tend to pickup and go check other spots then make my way back around ten or so to the exact spot where I heard him last and try to re strike him if I didn't find a hot bird that was alone somewhere else..

Think I'm ready. Sighted in yesterday. Picked up the Holosun 510C and 640 TSS CHOKE. I used my old Pure Gold 670 CHOKE yesterday.
First up Florida in a few weeks.
Red dot sure takes the stain off these old eyes.
Good luck this season !

Attachments

• 20230225_145440.jpg
    20230225_145440.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Hello folks! Seasons were a roller coaster this year.. Illinois went well with a two bird self imposed limit... Tennessee was a tough one this year. The birds were spotty on public ground down there... I was fortunate enough to do well on my first ever trip to Montana on public ground.. I owe a big thanks to a bear hunter!!

Attachments

• 20230515_053345.jpg
    20230515_053345.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230515_115106.jpg
    IMG_20230515_115106.jpg
    602.5 KB · Views: 2
Hello folks! Seasons were a roller coaster this year.. Illinois went well with a two bird self imposed limit... Tennessee was a tough one this year. The birds were spotty on public ground down there... I was fortunate enough to do well on my first ever trip to Montana on public ground.. I owe a big thanks to a bear hunter!!
Come on down to Northern Ga. I’ll put you on some birds! If you want to kill bears we have plenty of them as well!👍

Come on down to Northern Ga. I’ll put you on some birds! If you want to kill bears we have plenty of them as well!👍
I haven't hunted Georgia yet but would like to some day... Those Alabama birds can be tough though.. been there twice and finally managed to get one on public ground.. I am interested in bear huntin too !

Look me up we have plenty of birds and bears!

Attachments

• B8AB2211-8FA3-423A-B89B-A37CD0A7EDAB.jpeg
    B8AB2211-8FA3-423A-B89B-A37CD0A7EDAB.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • F434DA41-7CA2-4C8D-9B36-730A9D8B6567.jpeg
    F434DA41-7CA2-4C8D-9B36-730A9D8B6567.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member