Caribou Gear

2022 spring turkey

Made it out listening for gobbles this morning. I heard about 5 different Tom’s sounding off. It gets the blood pumping every time!

Every year I hear and scout turkeys on a small piece of public land that is shaped like a triangle. It is basically the edge of a very sharp ridge. I’ve always had a desire to hunt at that spot but never have. To hunt it effectively I think I need to get permission on the neighboring landowner who happens to be my wife’s aunt.

Archery season started here today. 40 degrees and 30-50mph winds has dampened my ambitions today.
A few years ago I called in a Tom on opening day. I had seen the forecast was calling for high winds so I set up in a steep valley below where they had been roosting. They had been going to the top of the hill and strutting on a private area, but I surmised they’d want to go down into the valley on the public with the high winds. I made it to work before 7 with a turkey to put in the shop fridge!

A week away here. I am excited despite the fact that my scouting on the WMA we drew has not been promising in the least. No sign of turkeys but old scratching in one spot. Hiked about 7 miles so far. Going back tomorrow to check out a different part of the WMA.

The state of the turkey population here is pretty darned depressing.

A week away here. I am excited despite the fact that my scouting on the WMA we drew has not been promising in the least. No sign of turkeys but old scratching in one spot. Hiked about 7 miles so far. Going back tomorrow to check out a different part of the WMA.

The state of the turkey population here is pretty darned depressing.
It seems to be in a decline in many places. My dad was just telling me where he hunts a few years ago there would be 10–12 gobbling every morning. Now there is only 1 or 2.

It seems to be in a decline in many places. My dad was just telling me where he hunts a few years ago there would be 10–12 gobbling every morning. Now there is only 1 or 2.
Yes from what I understand the declines are widespread.

I hear a lot about how habitat is the main factor. This may be true for some places but not everywhere. I hunt a few places where there has been little to no change in habitat. One is a NWR bordered by a State WMA. About 90,000 acres combined. No real change in the habitat in the last 20 years but yet 20 years ago I could hear 10 plus gobblers on a good day. Now hearing one during the 9 day season feels like hitting the lottery.

The decline sure lines up nicely with the explosion of the feral hog population but the biologists and turkey experts deny the feral hogs are the reason.

I know I never pass up a shot on a hog.

I hear a lot about how habitat is the main factor. This may be true for some places but not everywhere. I hunt a few places where there has been little to no change in habitat. One is a NWR bordered by a State WMA. About 90,000 acres combined. No real change in the habitat in the last 20 years but yet 20 years ago I could hear 10 plus gobblers on a good day. Now hearing one during the 9 day season feels like hitting the lottery.

The decline sure lines up nicely with the explosion of the feral hog population but the biologists and turkey experts deny the feral hogs are the reason.

The turkeys have not declined in my area but you don’t have to go far to find a decline. I think it’s a combination of bad spring nesting seasons and nest predators. Coon, skunk, opossum, etc. and there has been a big decline in insects and invertebrates that turkeys eat.

Have some areas to check out in person from OnX over the next couple of weeks.
Will be my first turkey season out of KY and also my first chasing Merriam’s

Besides factors already listed, I think there is a demonstrable drag on the population due to various viruses including West Nile, lymphoproliferarive disease, and avian flu varieties (currently hitting several large reservoirs in Kansas and killing lots of waterfowl).

2 stops so far this morning and at least 4 different gobblers. Not venturing off the access roads due to the youth lottery this weekend and the last thing I want to do is bump a bird off of a kid. One vehicle parked close to one of the gobblers. Hope to hear a shot at some point. He was gobbling his fool head off.

Just heard number 5…. these lotteries seem they may be the way to go.

I definitely feel better about our prospects than I did yesterday.

Besides factors already listed, I think there is a demonstrable drag on the population due to various viruses including West Nile, lymphoproliferarive disease, and avian flu varieties (currently hitting several large reservoirs in Kansas and killing lots of waterfowl).
For the last 3-4 years I’ve sent a leg from the turkeys I kill to Ia State University. They have been doing a disease study on turkeys. It is very concerning.

I left my house walking from sunrise until about 8:00 this morning. It was cold and windy again today. I heard 3 gobbles as I was about back to the house.

Bought a box of Federal TSS 9's about a month ago and tried them through a few different chokes and was not sold on any of the patterns. Bought a Trulock Federal TSS 9 choke and tried that last night and was pleased with the results at 35 yards. A little worried about how tight it might be at 20 but need to get more shells to test that.

20220328_190854.jpg

I agree, habitat doesn't seem to be an issue in my area either. In Iowa, I'm convinced that the main problem is the tremendous amount of ground predators that we have. Not to mention a huge population of hawks. I'm convinced that everyone who buys a hunting license in Iowa should get to harvest 10 hawks per year.

I agree, habitat doesn't seem to be an issue in my area either. In Iowa, I'm convinced that the main problem is the tremendous amount of ground predators that we have. Not to mention a huge population of hawks. I'm convinced that everyone who buys a hunting license in Iowa should get to harvest 10 hawks per year.
6 or 7 years ago raccoons were 20-25$, even skunks and opossums were worth something. Now you can’t pay someone to take your traps. Nest predators are hurting every species.

6 or 7 years ago raccoons were 20-25$, even skunks and opossums were worth something. Now you can’t pay someone to take your traps. Nest predators are hurting every species.
Exactly. You hit the nail on the head. I used to trap during those days, and earlier as well in the good old days of the 70's & early 80's. Sounds bad but I kinda hope that disease hits the predators hard for a couple years due to over population.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back