2022 spring turkey

Just bought my Turkey tag today! Gonna be my first year going after them, but I’m feeling optimistic. Just had a decent phone call with the BLM office at a particular habitat management area, according to them there’s plenty of turkeys in the parcel, so I’m going to try there out. Sadly camping isn’t allowed there, and it’s an hour and a half away, so it’ll be an early morning when I do go. Luckily the season here is a month and a half, so I should get to go out several times if needed.

Just bought my Turkey tag today! Gonna be my first year going after them, but I’m feeling optimistic. Just had a decent phone call with the BLM office at a particular habitat management area, according to them there’s plenty of turkeys in the parcel, so I’m going to try there out. Sadly camping isn’t allowed there, and it’s an hour and a half away, so it’ll be an early morning when I do go. Luckily the season here is a month and a half, so I should get to go out several times if needed.
Good luck! When does your season start?

My spring calendar is very full of non-turkey stuff. I blocked out 8 evening hunts for the spring season, plan to try and scout a strutter on public and chase him with my bow. 0 for (lost count) on archery turkey tags so far.

My spring calendar is very full of non-turkey stuff. I blocked out 8 evening hunts for the spring season, plan to try and scout a strutter on public and chase him with my bow. 0 for (lost count) on archery turkey tags so far.
I know the feeling about a full calendar. I have Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday of first season blocked off. But I don’t know if I have an entire free day all of 4th season.

I’ll look forward to hearing your reports. Do you set up a blind for archery or are you going no blind?

I’ll look forward to hearing your reports. Do you set up a blind for archery or are you going no blind?
I haven’t been in a blind in at least 5 years. Don’t even own one. I typically brush in and stick to the shadows. Drawing back seems to be the hardest task because unless they are really distracted they key in on the movement.

Are you hunting with decoys ?

Thanks! It opens 4/15 and runs till the end of May.
That’s a long season! Good luck.
Are you hunting with decoys ?
I put out a hen decoy but sometimes I feel like it’s just a hassle with the run n gun style I use. I prefer a collapsible decoy so I can stuff it in my game pouch on my vest. I got a new one from Montana decoy this year. Hopefully it works!

I am so excited for turkey season.

Both my son and I drew lottery tags for a unique WMA here in Louisiana April 2-4. Will probably hunt another WMA that I know well the next weekend. Then I have a hunt in Arkansas on April 18th and 19th on a group of adjacent WMA's that I have never set foot on. Going to arrive there on the evening of the 15th to do a little scouting.

Besides that we will be weekend warriors for the rest of the seasons in Arkansas and Louisiana.

Good luck everybody!

Last edited:
I love turkey hunting more than any other kind of hunting. If hunting were outlawed I would go by a camera to shoot these things with. Its just too much fun. This year is going to be an interesting one with my current work schedule. No time in the mornings to get out before work and on my days off I've got the baby. Probably going to be a lot more mid-morning and afternoon hunts than I've done previously. Looking forward to adding those experiences to the morning hunts I've enjoyed.
You may find mid morning to late afternoon hunting very productive.

I turkey hunt almost exclusively on public. If someone told me that that I had to pick a 4 hour window in which to hunt turkeys and stick to that window throughout the season, I would pick 10:30 until 2:30. Most of the other hunters are gone and a lot of the hens have wandered away from the Toms to do their thing.

You may find mid morning to late afternoon hunting very productive.

I turkey hunt almost exclusively on public. If someone told me that that I had to pick a 4 hour window in which to hunt turkeys and stick to that window throughout the season, I would pick 10:30 until 2:30. Most of the other hunters are gone and a lot of the hens have wandered away from the Toms to do their thing.
Yeah mid-morning I have decent history with birds but I'm usually leaving around noon so that afternoon and early evening time is what will be new.

Yeah mid-morning I have decent history with birds but I'm usually leaving around noon so that afternoon and early evening time is what will be new.
Biggest difference during the day is they will usually come in silent. But if you get a bird to gobble or you hear one gobbling you have a very good chance of working that bird into your setup. Since they come in silent if you are in an area you have seen birds or sign give it longer then you think. I have called during the day many times to stand up and be eye to eye with a Tom I didn’t know was there.

Biggest difference during the day is they will usually come in silent. But if you get a bird to gobble or you hear one gobbling you have a very good chance of working that bird into your setup. Since they come in silent if you are in an area you have seen birds or sign give it longer then you think. I have called during the day many times to stand up and be eye to eye with a Tom I didn’t know was there.
After the first week of the season here the game lands birds dont gobble on the ground until the last week of the season.

After the first week of the season here the game lands birds dont gobble on the ground until the last week of the season.
It is almost like that here. If they gobble it isn’t going to be much. I have killed several toms that gobble once arr none at all especially in that late morning to mid afternoon time frame.

In places where the densities are low, that is practically any non-lottery WMA here now btw, I get a lot of gobblers that gobble once a long time (40-45 minutes or longer) after I loudly yelp a couple times. One yelp in response and they come see. They seem to hang up a lot in that situation though.

I think those are gobblers that heard me from a long ways off but I don’t know.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back