PEAX Equipment

2022 spring turkey

My buddy and I will be headed back down to SE IL the weekend before Easter to chase gobblers on a piece of IL public land that is filthy with birds. We were covered up in ‘em last spring but couldn’t get one killed. Mainly cause we’re crap turkey hunters. We’ll see if my calling and our hunting has improved this spring compared to last.
Which season did you draw?

Found out I drew a 3rd season county wide tag and access to hunt a piece of private in a county not terribly far from me through the Illinois Recreational Access Program. I hunted through the same program a few years back in a west central IL county on a piece that looked awesome but didn’t seem to have any birds. Let’s hope this piece is a little more productive.

If any of you guys are hitting either side of blackhills this year in late april to chase birds let me know. Might need some help drinking some Busch!

This thread inspired me to go look at my close to home spots in the foothills today. Still a lot of snow so pretty hard to garner much info. No tracks or sign in a couple of obvious melted out travel corridors/ravines. Did see two different groups doing the same (one on the way in with a guy and his son just getting out, different truck on the way out) parked at one pullout near a spot I wanted to look at that is a couple hundred feet lower.

Packing in a few miles the Friday before opener this year and sleeping with the birds. Still threatening a weekend in the black hills but given work initiatives landing in Q2, I don’t think I’m going to be able to swing anything more than an hour or two from home.

I am so ready to hear some gobbles

A huge gobbler walked through the yard yesterday and that prompted me to get my bow and other stuff around. Also saved myself some embarrassment. I had March 15th in my head as the start of archery season in Nebraska. A quick review of the regs showed me it was the 25th. E2CA9C7E-C406-40B6-8A88-D15DD43F11AB.gif

If any of you guys are hitting either side of blackhills this year in late april to chase birds let me know. Might need some help drinking some Busch!
Depending on how the weather goes this spring I may take the family out to the NW part of Nebraska to see if my wife and son can kill their first Miriam’s.

So, just in the south side of the Black Hills.

Depending on how the weather goes this spring I may take the family out to the NW part of Nebraska to see if my wife and son can kill their first Miriam’s.

So, just in the south side of the Black Hills.
I usually hit same area in NE but at $150 per bird and $5+ diesel got to cut few corners. Easy place to save some cash so if i get drawn for one of my expensive fall tags i dont stress scounting trips and such.

I am cleaning the freezer of any turkey from 2021 this week. I found a wing, thigh and leg!! TURKEY CARNITAS!! If you are only keeping the breasts from a turkey you are missing out! These are so easy and so good!

View attachment 215564
I have mentioned in previous threads about grinding up turkey meat. Nothing goes to waste. Can't go wrong with creative meatballs.
Nice looking chow ^^^^

I have mentioned in previous threads about grinding up turkey meat. Nothing goes to waste. Can't go wrong with creative meatballs.
Nice looking chow ^^^^
When I butcher a turkey I keep skin on legs/thighs, wings, and 2 breasts. I get about a pound of scrap to grind from the carcass and then use the bones and the rest to make stock.

I am going to try and make a maple blueberry breakfast sausage with the grind from my next turkey.

I saw a group of turkeys last night in the same spot and around the same time they have been previously. The group was about 3 or 4 Tom’s and 8 or 9 hens. Some of the Tom’s were strutting! The first I’ve seen this spring.

Went out to the farm to sight inthe 20 savage single shot @ 35 yards TSS, ITS A KILLER with stock full chock barrel. Sighted in the 16 with a poly chock TSS vs Standard 2 3/4 7.5 Dove load. DOVE load came out on top door for knock down power @35 yards , not as many pellets in the kill zone but enough to forgo buying anymore TSS for the 16.
Then I shot the 3.5" Super Mag vs 1187 3" Semi, TSS #9 4yard's , the 1187 patterned better.
On the way out spotted a couple fresh tracks, I've seen his tracks for 2 years now. I hope he shows up.

Attachments

• 20220319_141043.jpg
    20220319_141043.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back