2022 spring turkey

I knew opening day was going to be short, as I had to be home by noon and it should have been a 90 minute drive to the area. I wasn't really counting on this during my commute:
IMG-1720.jpg

So it was well after first light when I rolled into the valley. Because of all the snow up high, the valley was a sh*tshow. Vehicles at every available parking spot. I tried getting away to a higher elevation location up in the snow, but didn't get any response to calling or see any signs. But hey, at least there weren't any other people there!
IMG-1723.jpg

I drove back down into the valley and spent an hour poking around some cropland that had already been hunted earlier. Didn't hear/see any birds, but saw lots of sign.

I knew what I was getting into, but wanted to experience opening day anyways. What I really need to do is figure out some spots to go that aren't so accessible. I have some ideas for when the snow eventually gets gone and I'll gladly put in some miles of effort.

Last edited:
Nothing of consequence to report except that I have figured out that I somehow lost my turkey hunting mojo. I am going to have to go to Texas and hunt some of their dumbass Rio’s to build my confidence back up.

I swear I found his feather pile yesterday, congrats to him
If you parked in that spot, you probably did (or the archers pile from their Opening day Jake that cleaned their bird right in the parking area on their tailgate)

... this morning's interaction was definitely one of the days that make the slow ones worth it, even if I didn't get a shot. Hoping to get back in there tomorrow morning, but the 30-40 mph wind forecast doesn't look great.
Nephew and I did our 'death march' spot yesterday. 5+ miles in on the trail before you even begin thinking about locating birds and then a lot of up and down after that, but it's very close to home and we generally get on birds back there.

To the 'wind' comment above - it was already gusting when it was still dark out, not a good sign. We had a gobbler working shortly after first light. A few call sequences and a quick move downhill got him about half the distance from initial contact and he sounded pretty hot. Based on the volume of the gobbles and where we think he probably was, we were within 100 yards. But he either lost interest/had hens/spooked/decided-to-wander-away or some combination of the above. That was the last gobble we heard the rest of the day (given the wind after about 9:00, you could barely hear airplanes passing overhead much less a gobble), then the long slog out of there.

I am close to my annual 'screw these flaky front range foothills birds' mindset change - time to find a couple days to hit some of our spots further afield.

I knew opening day was going to be short, as I had to be home by noon and it should have been a 90 minute drive to the area. I wasn't really counting on this during my commute:
View attachment 219620

So it was well after first light when I rolled into the valley. Because of all the snow up high, the valley was a sh*tshow. Vehicles at every available parking spot. I tried getting away to a higher elevation location up in the snow, but didn't get any response to calling or see any signs. But hey, at least there weren't any other people there!
View attachment 219621

I drove back down into the valley and spent an hour poking around some cropland that had already been hunted earlier. Didn't hear/see any birds, but saw lots of sign.

I knew what I was getting into, but wanted to experience opening day anyways. What I really need to do is figure out some spots to go that aren't so accessible. I have some ideas for when the snow eventually gets gone and I'll gladly put in some miles of effort.
Birds will move during the worst of storms My hunting buddy and I took a couple birds during a blizzard in SD Don't let a little snow dampen the spirit.

Attachments

• IMGA0527.JPG
    IMGA0527.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMGA0510.JPG
    IMGA0510.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMGA0508.JPG
    IMGA0508.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 17
I am close to my annual 'screw these flaky front range foothills birds' mindset change - time to find a couple days to hit some of our spots further afield.
I'd be right there with you but my wife is about 2 weeks from the birth of our daughter, so I am sticking close to home.

Hardest part about the wind is just how close you have to be to call/hear a gobble in such a low density landscape. My goal for the next year is to scout some other turkey options throughout Colorado. I have spent SO much time finding and figuring front range birds out that it's hard for me to leave...but damn it can be frustrating at times. Front range Merriam's should have their own notch in the turkey Super Slam.

We are going to need a little more of the story then that.
Was walking in on a logging road calling as I went. Got a bird going below me on some private so I set up just above the road. The setup was bad but about all I had. He came within a 100 yards or so and then walked off. Before I could move a bird fired up to my west and was coming fast. Through the brush I could see these two strutting down the road from about 75 yards or so. As I was watching them I could see they about the same size so wasn’t going to be picky. They strutted into 18 yards and basically both turned broadside side by side. The back bird kinda lifted his head and the heads were basically “stacked” from my perspective. One shot and they both just dropped. As much as I kinda hate to end my season so early, my time is super limited this year and a double seemed cool. Both good birds with 9 inch beards. There were a couple more toms and a couple hens coming in with them

Missouri opened today. My 23 year old nephew is headed my way early Thursday morning to pick me up and off we go. 500 acres of NW Missouri farms at our disposal. Should be a great three days no matter what happens. He just got into hunting a few years ago and has really taken a liking to it. I have been a solo hunter 98% of the time so it will be nice to drive 6 hours with someone, etc.. Good luck to all.

If anybody on the front range of CO wants company Friday, shoot me a PM.
Or if you want to join me and head south to San Isabel NF.
I know guys are super secretive about their spots (rightfully so). That is why I'm willing to try some of my OnX locations, or try somewhere you have been wanting to

Forewarning: I have no clue what I'm doing and am still getting used to the elevation, but I make a bunch of jokes and don't mind pushing my limits.

View attachment 219701

Northeast Nebraska Easter turkey with my nephews. From the time we located him to the time we first saw him was about an hour and a half. A good lesson in patience for the young hunters (and the old).

We parked on the edge of wooded area, maybe 400 yards from the edge of the river and property line. Worked into the woods maybe a 100 yards and let out a soft set of hen yelps and got a gobble back from what sounded like right on the edge of the river. Worked in another 100 yards silently and set up decoys in a small opening with a decent trail heading off towards the river and in the direction of the gobble we heard. Once we were settled in, another set of hen yelps and a response from the tom. After that, I made sets of yelps every 4-5 mins and he was fairly quiet. The next time he responded with a gobble, I guessed he was 100 yards off and was coming in behind us. We had set up with our backs on some cedar trunks, pretty well covered on our sides by branches. I rolled on to my belly, assuming he may come in behind us, instead of into the opening where the decoys were. For the next 45 mins I laid belly down and all we could hear was the occasional spit and drumming from the tom. The first time I spotted him he was already inside 30 yards and I could just see the white tips on his fan. He came in slow and was eyeballing the group of trees where the calls were coming from. The tom passed behind a small cedar and gave me the split second I needed to shoulder my shotgun in the prone position. He popped out from behind the small cedar at 20 yards and raised his head high to get another look to see where this noisy hen was hiding. I don't think he ever saw the decoys. It was really fun fooling an old bird into 20 yards in the middle of the afternoon.

Just like an old gobbler to come in from behind you. I have had them do the same thing and I will do just like you get prone and hide behind the tree or cover where I am sitting at. I swear I think they will see you sitting up so easily sometimes and if you are prone it just less for him to pick out. I have shot quite a few over the years from the prone position, not your classic set up but it works. Good huntin and getting him close.

A closing update on my Arkansas hunt is in order. I am still good at locating turkeys even in sparsely populated areas. However, either these gobblers had a doctorate in turkey hunter behavior or ai just absolutely stink at calling them in now. I used to pride myself on being able to kill lock jawed turkeys. I may have to rethink my skill level.

I had seen a couple of gobblers and hens cross a gravel road very late in the day on Monday. So I knew where to be yesterday morning to be relatively close to their roost locations. I heard one gobble at 6:45 which is about flydown time. This is was in response to a hen yelping. I walked about a quarter mile and set up and made a few calls. I had to be within a couple of hundred yards of where he was when he gobbled. I waited a few minutes and made some clucks and purrs followed by a yelp. Nothing. Waited 30 minutes and got a little aggresive with some cutting and a couple of excited yelps. Nothing. Waited another 20 minutes and moved a quarter mile east toward a creek. Made some clucks and yelps. Nothing. Waited another 15 minutes and started moving further east toward the creek when a single gobble rang out due south of me. There was a 40 acre block of private here between me and the gobbler. The WMA borders the block on 3 sides. I back tracked got to the corner, and moved south about 300 yards which should have put me about 150 or 200 yards in west of where the turkey last gobbled. I sat up and made some soft clucks and purrs. Nothing. After 15 minutes made a soft yelp with some clucks and purrs.Nothing. After another 20 minutes I got down on the pot call and made some very excited cuts and yelps. Nothing. Waited 30 minutes and walked back out to the truck, stopping to call a couple of times along the way.

Anybody want to teach and old dog some new tricks?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back