2022 spring turkey

A closing update on my Arkansas hunt is in order. I am still good at locating turkeys even in sparsely populated areas. However, either these gobblers had a doctorate in turkey hunter behavior or ai just absolutely stink at calling them in now. I used to pride myself on being able to kill lock jawed turkeys. I may have to rethink my skill level.

I had seen a couple of gobblers and hens cross a gravel road very late in the day on Monday. So I knew where to be yesterday morning to be relatively close to their roost locations. I heard one gobble at 6:45 which is about flydown time. This is was in response to a hen yelping. I walked about a quarter mile and set up and made a few calls. I had to be within a couple of hundred yards of where he was when he gobbled. I waited a few minutes and made some clucks and purrs followed by a yelp. Nothing. Waited 30 minutes and got a little aggresive with some cutting and a couple of excited yelps. Nothing. Waited another 20 minutes and moved a quarter mile east toward a creek. Made some clucks and yelps. Nothing. Waited another 15 minutes and started moving further east toward the creek when a single gobble rang out due south of me. There was a 40 acre block of private here between me and the gobbler. The WMA borders the block on 3 sides. I back tracked got to the corner, and moved south about 300 yards which should have put me about 150 or 200 yards in west of where the turkey last gobbled. I sat up and made some soft clucks and purrs. Nothing. After 15 minutes made a soft yelp with some clucks and purrs.Nothing. After another 20 minutes I got down on the pot call and made some very excited cuts and yelps. Nothing. Waited 30 minutes and walked back out to the truck, stopping to call a couple of times along the way.

Anybody want to teach and old dog some new tricks?
Go back when he’s in a better mood.

A closing update on my Arkansas hunt is in order. I am still good at locating turkeys even in sparsely populated areas. However, either these gobblers had a doctorate in turkey hunter behavior or ai just absolutely stink at calling them in now. I used to pride myself on being able to kill lock jawed turkeys. I may have to rethink my skill level.

I had seen a couple of gobblers and hens cross a gravel road very late in the day on Monday. So I knew where to be yesterday morning to be relatively close to their roost locations. I heard one gobble at 6:45 which is about flydown time. This is was in response to a hen yelping. I walked about a quarter mile and set up and made a few calls. I had to be within a couple of hundred yards of where he was when he gobbled. I waited a few minutes and made some clucks and purrs followed by a yelp. Nothing. Waited 30 minutes and got a little aggresive with some cutting and a couple of excited yelps. Nothing. Waited another 20 minutes and moved a quarter mile east toward a creek. Made some clucks and yelps. Nothing. Waited another 15 minutes and started moving further east toward the creek when a single gobble rang out due south of me. There was a 40 acre block of private here between me and the gobbler. The WMA borders the block on 3 sides. I back tracked got to the corner, and moved south about 300 yards which should have put me about 150 or 200 yards in west of where the turkey last gobbled. I sat up and made some soft clucks and purrs. Nothing. After 15 minutes made a soft yelp with some clucks and purrs.Nothing. After another 20 minutes I got down on the pot call and made some very excited cuts and yelps. Nothing. Waited 30 minutes and walked back out to the truck, stopping to call a couple of times along the way.

Anybody want to teach and old dog some new tricks?
I’d try waiting a little bit longer. if you are that close to where the Tom is gobbling either he’s going to come check you out or his hens that he’s with will want to check you out.

I’d try waiting a little bit longer. if you are that close to where the Tom is gobbling either he’s going to come check you out or his hens that he’s with will want to check you out.
That was actually one of the things that came to mind. I think I was more impatient than usual because I knew I had to drive a couple hours home and be back at work today.

I have killed a handful of turkeys after calling, falling asleep for an hour or more, and being awakened by either a gobble, a yelp, or some sound of a turkey or turkeys around me.

That was actually one of the things that came to mind. I think I was more impatient than usual because I knew I had to drive a couple hours home and be back at work today.

I have killed a handful of turkeys after calling, falling asleep for an hour or more, and being awakened by either a gobble, a yelp, or some sound of a turkey or turkeys around me.
I used to hunt this field that was probably 1/2 mile long and you could see the whole thing from the truck. More than once I’d call and call to no avail but when I’d get back to the truck I could see a Tom where I had my decoy set up.

Finally got on a tom yesterday morning on a piece of public I know pretty well. Checked my first spot nothing so I headed to spot number two. This spot is a large block of timber bordered by a private cow pasture to the north. The birds typically roost in the tall trees on the public then feed into the cow pasture after they fly down. Checking the first spot made me late and as I crested a small hill that allows you to look into the back of the cow pasture I saw a tom with 3 hens. They were 5 yards from the south boundary fence and 20 yards from the west fence just in the corner of the private. I knew a trail behind the hill that would allow me to approach the corner without being seen I dropped down and quickly closed the distance. I got as close as I could (120 yards) and was able to spot him strutting in the same spot I had first seen him with his three ladies. I setup in the woods and began calling I was able to see the bird from my position while standing but not after sitting down. After 20 minutes I stood to see if I could still see the bird and couldn't. So I moved forward about 60 yards and spotted the birds about 50 yards further east down the fence line still on private. I setup and called this time I was able to watch the birds reaction. They immediately headed further east over a rise away from me with the gobbler in the lead. I quickly moved up to the rise using it as cover to close the distance. Topped the rise and couldn't immediately spot the birds as they were in some tall switchgrass. Finally spotted the gobblers head sticking up at around 60 yards but they're still on private. There's a low spot about 80 yards away that looks like a good crossing spot but now I'm pinned as the Turkey work they're way out the bottom. I watch hoping they'll move on to the public instead they continue east headed to a different private property. From knowing the area I knew the sections to the east and south of that private are public. So I hot footed it to my truck and headed around to see if I could cut them off. Got back to the truck around 9:30 this whole thing started around 7:20. Got to the parking spot and had about a mile hike to get to the cleared fence row the Turkey had been traveling down. Got setup around 10:20 hoping to intercept them and decided no calling would be prudent. Unfortunately they didn't read the script and I never saw another Turkey. Had to leave at 1 to make it in time to pick my kids up from school. Not sure if he just wasn't in the mood, content with his harem, or has been shot at already but that bird was having none of it. He didn't gobble once. But me and that old tom aren't done yet. My mom's taking the kids to school in the morning and I plan on being setup on the trail those birds use to go from the roost trees on public to the private field. So as long as they read the script should be a piece of cake;).

Front range Merriam's should have their own notch in the turkey Super Slam.
After his first-ever bird in 2020, I told my future son-in-law that a Rampart Range public land gobbler is equivalent to a 300" Bull elk.
This has actually become part of most of my daily hunt plans now after having it happen a number of times and hearing the same story from other hunters/bios, etc.

Just Sunday - we had a bird working right at sunrise, but he wandered off out of sight (assume he had hens). We checked some other drainages but made sure we were back in that general area 3-4 hours later in case he came back to check on that lone hen from the morning. Didn't work Sunday (actually - as windy as it was, maybe it did and we just couldn't hear), but has definitely worked in the past.

Dr. Mike Chamberlain (wildturkeydoc on Insta) talks about this on his podcast with Rinella from a couple years ago and has studies showing the same behavior.

I used to hunt this field that was probably 1/2 mile long and you could see the whole thing from the truck. More than once I’d call and call to no avail but when I’d get back to the truck I could see a Tom where I had my decoy set up.
These long field present good hunting. Getting birds that are territorial can avail much action.

These long field present good hunting. Getting birds that are territorial can avail much action.
Exactly what would happen. The field was a long finger between two deep drainages. There was a flock of turkeys usually roosting on each of the wooded drainages and in the middle of the field was a saddle where critters would cross. On a couple of occasions I had turkeys coming in from behind and in front of me trying to figure out the new kid in town.

Packing up the truck right now to go pick up my hunting partner in Indianapolis and then make the all-day drive to northwest Nebraska to chase Merriam's in the wind this weekend! Here's hoping the weather forecast changes and our luck is better than my luck in the NM draw! :oops:

My 2nd tag in IL starts tomorrow. It is gonna be on a piece of private land, about 160 acres, 90 miles west of Chicago that I have access on through the Illinois Recreational Access Program which allows public access to private property. This is similar to the Walk in hunting areas that alot of States have but this is not walk in. You have to apply in a lottery to get the access. My understanding is I will be the only hunter on that piece for the specific 6 day turkey season. I am gonna give it a go tomorrow for about 2 hours before high tailing it back to the city for work. I have high hopes.

I wrapped up my spring season in NC this afternoon. I was on my way in to do some cold calling near a roost area along a swamp when I happened to see this gobbler and hen in a field before they saw me and I was able to work around and get a shot. I really wanted to call in another one but I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity. 7A49F3AD-E693-43EB-9799-F6B674568EFA.jpeg769DD471-34CD-44C1-BDA5-69CD6083D544.jpeg

My 2nd tag in IL starts tomorrow. It is gonna be on a piece of private land, about 160 acres, 90 miles west of Chicago that I have access on through the Illinois Recreational Access Program which allows public access to private property. This is similar to the Walk in hunting areas that alot of States have but this is not walk in. You have to apply in a lottery to get the access. My understanding is I will be the only hunter on that piece for the specific 6 day turkey season. I am gonna give it a go tomorrow for about 2 hours before high tailing it back to the city for work. I have high hopes.
Good luck!

That sounds like a pretty awesome access program. Do you apply for specific properties or areas or what?

After work evening hunts have been getting me some good encounters. Had a little short-distance dance with a vocal gobbler last night in the final hour or so. Thought it was gonna happen but he hung up and abruptly hit the roost. Had a bead on a few jakes today, but they had hens holding tight at about 40 yards and didn’t give a clear shot without a high probability of winging a lady bird. Pretty intense 20 or so minutes of holding as still as possible, hoping for a good shot, before they finally sauntered off. One of those, “If I’d have stayed at my original tree I’d have had one” days. C’est la vie.

Now that I’ve got a few patterned in I’m hoping to do the morning routine and seal the deal on one here soon.

Always forget how exciting turkey hunting can be. Keep those success photos & stories coming, folks!

First season opened yesterday, here in Wisconsin and the wife has a tag. Weather was shit, rainy, windy and cold, she went and sat in her ground blind, out in her mom's field. Where she proceeded to miss a big tom, at about 20 feet. Much better weather today and i took her out this morning, had 2 toms out in our pasture. They flew down away from us, but i was able to get them turned around and coming out way. First one hung up at 80 yards and the other one come in to 50 yards and gobbled and strutted for about 10 minutes before he lost interest and drifted off towards his buddy. 40 yards is the max range for the wife, he put on a good show and that's really all the wife cares about. We packed up and headed to another property, walking and calling and eventually got a response. A couple random gobbles over the next 30 minutes, never getting any closer to us. Got up and moved closer and setup again. This time i got aggressive and got into a squawking match with a couple hens. The next 20 minutes was a constant back and forth between us, multiple toms and jakes gobbling steady, me and a couple hens going back and forth. They paced back and forth along a creek but just wouldn't cross, then slowly worked away from us. This afternoon i went to my son's baseball game, and she went back to her blind, she had 2 jakes and 3 hens come in but she elected not to shoot. It's a tom or nothing for her, at least till the last day then maybe a jake will do.

What county you gonna be in? Step dads season ended yesterday in SE IL. Nothing fir him said the first day or two he had some responses then the last few days nothing, nobody we know has had much action yet down there.

Good luck!

That sounds like a pretty awesome access program. Do you apply for specific properties or areas or what?
You apply for a county wide tag and then apply for a property in the specific county you have a tag for. You don’t get any information about the specific sites prior to getting assigned.

While waiting for the flock to my right to slowly appear, I adjusted my body to point in their direction, hoping to draw one of the toms over to my decoys. This adjustment over-committed me to that direction, while leaving my left area uncovered. Mistake! As I kept calling to the flock with soft yelps-clucks-and purrs, I think I hear a faint "Whoooooommmmm". I knew better than to turn my head to look for the sound, so I froze and waited. Short time later, I hear a loud "Spit" and "Whoooooommmmm" and this time I figured he's probably no more than 10 yards behind me. At this point, I'm doing my best side-eye peripheral look I can do with out moving and I see a black body. He didn't like my jake decoy. He finally got out of his strutting mode and came over to thump on the decoy for a while. He was facing directly away from me and fanned one last time. This gave me the window I needed to raise my shotgun and ready for the shot. The birds (gobblers and hens) were going crazy in the roost that morning and the action was swift.

Attachments

• Seth 2022 Turkey.jpg
    Seth 2022 Turkey.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 12
While waiting for the flock to my right to slowly appear, I adjusted my body to point in their direction, hoping to draw one of the toms over to my decoys. This adjustment over-committed me to that direction, while leaving my left area uncovered. Mistake! As I kept calling to the flock with soft yelps-clucks-and purrs, I think I hear a faint "Whoooooommmmm". I knew better than to turn my head to look for the sound, so I froze and waited. Short time later, I hear a loud "Spit" and "Whoooooommmmm" and this time I figured he's probably no more than 10 yards behind me. At this point, I'm doing my best side-eye peripheral look I can do with out moving and I see a black body. He didn't like my jake decoy. He finally got out of his strutting mode and came over to thump on the decoy for a while. He was facing directly away from me and fanned one last time. This gave me the window I needed to raise my shotgun and ready for the shot. The birds (gobblers and hens) were going crazy in the roost that morning and the action was swift.
Every time I see a picture of those birds I want to go and get one! The white tips on the feathers is stunning, imo.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back