2022 spring turkey

Pretty soon that Tom’s going to only let you out of the house if you have a bag of corn for it.

We don't believe in wildlife welfare around here, sir. That Tom needs to get a job if it wants to eat anything more than the massive amount of bird seed that the boss has at the feeders close to the house.

Which might be another good place to set the blind - on the porch.

Position the blind on your porch so you can watch tv through the picture window and have access to power to keep the mini fridge plugged in. Nothing worse than hot beer in the turkey blind.

When we replaced the flooring in our new house, we found shotgun and .22 shells under the carpet, so someone took this advice.

More than likely, I'll set the blind in our woods. This is the first semi-decent tom to show up. Everything else has been Jakes or toms that are still young & don't have much for beards or spurs.

…Up in a tree hoping to see/hear some birds, so I know where to be tomorrow morning, for opening day. And Sippin a cold one after a hard days work… Good luck all!

Attachments

• 59799E4A-F0E6-4A8C-96EF-CC860756BC74.jpeg
    59799E4A-F0E6-4A8C-96EF-CC860756BC74.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 21
  • E35BDAF2-91FF-44B1-BCF6-A25659537448.jpeg
    E35BDAF2-91FF-44B1-BCF6-A25659537448.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Cold and windy this morning. I’ve killed 3 Tom’s in the past on mornings just like this one was all within 100 yards of the same spot. It’s where the birds go to roost when it’s crappy. So, what did I do? I set us up across the drainage. the Tom’s were on a rope, to the spot I should have set up in.

Cold and windy this morning. I’ve killed 3 Tom’s in the past on mornings just like this one was all within 100 yards of the same spot. It’s where the birds go to roost when it’s crappy. So, what did I do? I set us up across the drainage. the Tom’s were on a rope, to the spot I should have set up in.
It's another should of , could of, would of. I should of been down on the lower field below the dam.

Loaded the truck this morning kissed the wife and kids and headed out. Currently about 2 hours away from a WMA in NW Oklahoma I've never hunted. Going to see if I can roost one this evening for the opener tomorrow. Will post updates.
Fresh scratching, good dust bowl with recent Dustin's will get you Ina good area. Good Luck

Harvested a Tennessee Tom. It was an interesting two day hunt. Highs in the 40s and lows in the low 30s. Frosty mornings, very few gobbles, rain, snow, and high winds. Short story, not what you expect for a Tennessee turkey hunt and not ideal.

Having hunted the farm in a few other times, I had a good idea where birds like to be. Set up a ground blind around three after a late lunch to fuel up and dry off. At 5PM, this guy and two others gobbled out of nowhere about 100 yards away (first gobbles of the day) and one short yelp series later they were locked in and came to about 30 yards. View attachment 218671
If you get a gobble after 12 that's usually a dead bird walking.

Decoys @ 13 yards and toms and hens close enough on the roost. Fingers crossed
95ACD938-30E0-4563-B06A-2B7B0097A4EF.jpeg

Update: An hour after shooting light and most are still on the roost. One or two Toms and a dozen hens. OnX says 125 yards. We’re in between the roost and where they head to most mornings.

Starting to fly down. They’re likely to come through the fence line 100 yards down. Then we’ll see if they get close enough.
12AE9611-468C-4616-BB19-4ABD1974CEFB.jpeg

Last edited:
Last night A family friend asked how turkey hunting was going, so I told her about the morning hunt. She had been out, but never heard a gobble and she was intrigued we were on at least 4 Tom’s. I showed her Onx where they were at giving her the ok to chase them because We were done for the weekend. And she only responded “that’s a long walk”.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back